• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Population

Toubob

Hey,

I'm asking myself how big the Server population could be at Kronos release. I don't have any idea... Maybe 500 Players, or more. Are there any prognoses for it? And is there a maximal player limit, or a mount of players which will produce a bad game with lags?
I'm really interested of that and would enjoy a discussion, with some guesses from other players.

looking forward to see you on Kronos one day!

Judging by the number of followers on social networks: Facebook 1081, Tweeter 172, Reddit 290 and YouTube 627, I would estimate an optimistic number of 700+ in the first days of the launch.

I don't think lag will be a problem except for US players who might experience a high latency.

Last edited:
With everything that Kronos offers, and if it delivers the quality. People will flock here.

If it starts over 1k it will be the biggest and sustain itself.

In retail player cap was around 4k but besides the realms that were full, the average online pop was much lower than that.

If i remember right, 2nd Kronos had around 350 players 1st day, hope now will be at least 500+ :)

Before you read further - THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO TRASH PROJECT. I want to help and point out things that can be done to improve it.
I want Kronos to succeed and for that people behind Kronos got to realise they need to fight for your potential playerbase and work for your image in in their eyes.

I recently participated in test of another not-to-be-named server, and the biggest reason for me to do so (aside of figuring for myself the levl of it's actuall readiness) was to speak with other testers about their aspirations for private vanilla server, preferences, and their opinions on Kronos.

Unfortunately, i must state the main replies that i got were:

1) "Kronos? Is that server that already failed two times? There's no showing they learnt from that."

2) "They got single developer who does EVERYTHING, from posting news to fixing scripts. He might be genius, but investing time into playing on server that ran by single guy? Nowai!"

3) "They may be nice, but i here today can actually test this server for myself to see how things work, while on Kronoes there's some closed test going on and all i know their release date got cancelled recently and no new date installed. While here i take part in public test and it's the best PR move."

4) "I do not care, going to play whatver comes first. This level of quality suits me fine."

5) "Kro-what? Never heard of them."

Now hold on. You do not need to debunk these for me, i know the state of things.
What's wrong is that these replies are given by players, these replies show how they view Kronos, and these are exactly the things that need to be fixed.
And it's not nerds who were testing - most of the testers were people who currently playing on retail, who told they were way to young to expirience vanilla back and the days and now they want to see what's the fuzz is about.

Look at hot topics in these forums and compare with these answers by people. During test noone complained about concept of multiboxing, or having to level at x1 rate, or joining battleground queues from chat command. The main issues are related with Kronos not being able to show it's strong sides or show where it improved.

Let me summarise for you several moves that should help Kronos:

1) Media team got to capitalise on strong sides of project. Show what's improved and fixed. Show how you adressed weak points of previous incarnations.

Your FAQ answers very important questions, but to get to it one got to dig to find it somehow. Majority of the people won't click that much even if it's in reality just 2 clicks. Put FAQ link on top bar where you got "Home" "About" etc links.

Currently on the right side of http://www.kronos-wow.com you got 2 widget-like areas for links to progress page and for forums.

Add widget for your twitter and actually start using it! There were only 3 tweets in 40 days of 2015!
You do not know what to post about? Start tweeting about closed issues on tracker, linking to tracker.
Half the people on forums do not even know there's TWINHEAD databese, this will show that there're some tools already behind Project. it will also show that the project is alive and there're things going on under the serface every day. "Dem stuff refuse to name ETA but at least i can see dem working". Again, it's an indication that things are moving on.

Add widget for random video showcase which can be viewed directly from main page. Before the last video update, the main page was all text posts. When new person comes to your site he's not going to read all those posts. Half of the new visitors won't even be looking for media library link. They assume you feed movies to them - so do it. Your front page got to interest and interact with visitor to make him stay or dig deeper.

Less technicality in videos. I personally deeply appreciate these aspects and bow to those who make them, but many players do not get what those videos about. In this post LaraDorren seems to understand what's it about.
As much as you make videos for old-school players you also make them for those who never played it. Imagine you are promoting your new game and think how you would do it for those who never played it.

2) You need to get rid of "one-man-project" image. Show that there're people behind this project other then Chero. Media team got to stand up again and take representation in their hands. Do some interviews with long term testers who speak about why Kronos is great. You might have problems telling that but i bet those old veterans can bring arguments for other players which you can't put to words yourself. Put emphasis on Twinstar team that runs servers and covers hardware and network side.

3) Do some kind of promotion like you did with Cristmas facebook event - let some players test your server. Yes, i know they won't help with bugtesting. But still let them come becouse it works for yout image.
And ABSOLUTELY interview them after. Not about their bug reports but about their overal expirience!

Great points, Whistler. The Kronos forums would be a much better place if a few of your ideas were implemented!

Good One, WhistlerWCT. +1 Cool

Edit:

WhistlerWCT: Less technicality in videos.

What comes to my mind is maybe making a video which is introducing the game. Ofc a short Video and maybe making more parts like 1 introduction of Events, 1 introduction what bosses you are going to see in the whole game, 1 intro about Factions and their story relation from Wc1,2,3 to wow and some PvP stuff? What kind of monsters you are going to see in the open world? Dragons, Furbolgs, Murlocs and whatever....

Last edited:
Lack of advertisement was why previous versions failed, right?

I would have at least tried the previous versions, if I had heard of it in the past.

Maybe more effort indeed should go into advertising - the Achilles heel of Kronos?

Be more in the people's faces about Kronos! The potential playerbase has been doing their part to announce your presence. Maybe dedicate someone to toot your own horn while Chero works his magic? It wouldn't hurt to show more hands working on the project itself, but at the same time Chero gets more work done by himself than a whole team for many private servers.

You have a 'snowball' that's grown fairly large already, with a little more of a push it will more than likely multiply in size to your benefit. The available avenues and outlets are sitting right there!

Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, it would be in your best interest to attract as much attention as you can BEFORE the release date, where more people are reaching out to others.

Well I agree with whistler. You need to focus more on the team behind Kronos. Zarquon made half of the news posts but they all show up as "by chero" on the main site. Video editing is done by filivorja afaik.

Some people may think chero is doing all the video capturing, editing etc while he is actually busy crushing bugs.

Some widget on the main site sounds good, make tweets about what's happening, it makes the website look more alive. Giving people tiny bits of info now and then makes visiting the website often more worthwile. How many bugs fixed last week? How many unique bug reporters in mast month? How many active testers? How many lines of code in the core?

else the main site just looks the same for weeks until something new comes up.

don't get me wrong, the assigned community managers are doing a great job. But you can always do more!

Last edited:
Before you read further - THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO TRASH PROJECT. I want to help and point out things that can be done to improve it.
I want Kronos to succeed and for that[...]

I support this post. This guy said it +1

Lack of advertisement was why previous versions failed, right?

I would have at least tried the previous versions, if I had heard of it in the past.

Maybe more effort indeed should go into advertising - the Achilles heel of Kronos?

Be more in the people's faces about Kronos! The potential playerbase has been doing their part to announce your presence. Maybe dedicate someone to toot your own horn while Chero works his magic? It wouldn't hurt to show more hands working on the project itself, but at the same time Chero gets more work done by himself than a whole team for many private servers.

You have a 'snowball' that's grown fairly large already, with a little more of a push it will more than likely multiply in size to your benefit. The available avenues and outlets are sitting right there!

Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, it would be in your best interest to attract as much attention as you can BEFORE the release date, where more people are reaching out to others.

Word of mouth is the best way to go about it. The time to advertise is when there is something worth advertising about, ie. a release date, a beta test run, a test weekend etc. I do not recommend 'Be more in peoples faces' that is bad advice. It pisses people off more then anything else. It does more harm then good to just shove Kronos in the face of players and wave your arms about.

All in all Whistler has some fantastic points. Nothing has to be rushed, there are plently of people who know about the project. Advertising now when a release date hasn't been confirmed will just shy away new players rather then attract them. It is very likely when Kronos is ready to be released, close to that release they will take similar steps as Nos to attract new players.

The main point is that the team does not feel that the server is ready enough to be showcased and dissected to and by the wider public. When that time comes Whistlers points will be more valid.

Nonetheless more videos couldn't hurt.

I didnt want ti insult anyone, just was surprised how us anyone able to write that wall of text about obvious and million times disscused things.

Well, i do agree with most of the points. While chero is the only one working on core, the team is large enough to be able to feed community with news. As sayed before, you can check twinhead for news, yet still, one tweet every two days about things like "we have just fixed archmage arugal" wouldn't hurt. Twitter is meant for this kind of short messages after all.

And also mentioning, that kronos have only one person for fixes, but also have a big team that cares about web, forum, hardware, etc... Kronos is simply not maintained by one person, but only few people seems to notice it.

Well, i do agree with most of the points. While chero is the only one working on core, the team is large enough to be able to feed community with news. As sayed before, you can check twinhead for news, yet still, one tweet every two days about things like "we have just fixed archmage arugal" wouldn't hurt. Twitter is meant for this kind of short messages after all.

And also mentioning, that kronos have only one person for fixes, but also have a big team that cares about web, forum, hardware, etc... Kronos is simply not maintained by one person, but only few people seems to notice it.

Well, at this point, you have a set amount of things to fix until you can release the server, and since there is only one developer, people's hopes and dreams only depend on one person. Yea Kronos might not be maintained by one person, but only one person can deliver people what they want.

I agree with the twitter suggestion tho.

Yeah what I was saying was more along the lines of semi-little updates via Twitter, facebook, etc.

We don't need a release date to advertise, but there's no reason to stall until then either.
Just a little 'hey look at what we're doing' post a few times a week. Not like bashing other servers being super fanboy but more along the lines of constantly reminding people that kronos is still moving forward. In your face came off a bit strong I suppose.

I really had to dig around to 'like' the kronos FB page, and even then I didn't plan on trying to show my old wow friends until kronos felt more confident to really show off and grip people via nostalgia.

Top Bottom