• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Profession Options for Druids

Gossamer

Authorized
Hi everyone! I have decided to roll druid as my main at launch. I have been thinking a lot about profession choices. It's worth noting that I'm mostly a casual player, and I will not be "hardcore" raiding or PvPing - I will be playing for fun. I plan to level as feral with the goal of tanking 5-mans, but I'd also like to try healing, something I've never done before. Here are my options as I see them:

1. Skinning and Herbalism
Since this will be my first character, I will be poor, so two gathering professions while leveling could be a good way to make money by selling mats on the AH. Mounts are expensive, and I'll have to save up to buy the Warden Staff. Additionally, if I decide to switch to Leatherworking or Alchemy at 60, I'll have the gathering profession and the mats already.

2. Skinning and Leatherworking (Tribal)
Druids wear leather, and some of the best pre-raid tanking gear can be made with tribal leatherworking. However, is it useful while leveling? Making stuff generally seems more fun than just gathering and selling, but not if I can only make stuff below my level.

3. Herbalism and Alchemy
Good for any class, really. Is alchemy useful while leveling? Is it still as good if I'm not really going to be raiding?

Other considerations - Tailoring seems good for balance and resto druids, and enchanting is the only way to get the Smoking Heart of the Mountain trinket, but that seems like a ton of time and money for just one item. Is it really worth it?

Thanks!

smoking heart of the mountain is kinda sorta really great if you're a Bear tank, yeah. Keep in mind that Bear tanking for raiding is very useful for a number of different bosses (Jin'do, the dragon cock block boss in Blackwing, etc) as well as 5 and 10 man instance running. It's just a second rate (and not so great) primary raid character and no one's going to argue that.

It was my plan to level 3 characters to 35 (easy as hell to do with rotating rest bonus), and only bother with two of them as primary characters (a druid and a rogue). The druid would have enchanting / skinning, the rogue would have leatherworking / herbalism, and the 35 mule would have alchemy / tailoring.

Edit - if it's your only character, go skinning / herb and use banker alts to save all your mats, and sell off (or keep) your leather to trade to a guild leatherworker to make you things as you level. Look up a guide on leveling alchemy, make a list of herb stacks you will need, and then you can comfortably sell off the herbs you won't need.

Druids do NOT require constantly updated gear from leveling, outside of proper quest rewards that you should research ahead of time. They are very strong at leveling after level 20.

Last edited:
Top Bottom