• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Question about a modified .exe

Magnifican

Authorized
Hello! I just noticed that the vanilla client is limited to a measily 12 channel sound setting, which means you miss out on alot of sounds in the game if they are playing at the same time. I've even seen bug reports about this here: https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=3783

Turns out its not a bug but the client is made this way. It totally breaks the feeling in-game for me and it is very annoying not hearing if your ability indeed triggered or not.
Anyway, I found a solution here: *Link removed just in case its not allowed*
This link is to the fixed .exe fixes the sound issues and it makes the client use 256 channel sound instead. So this is purely for the purpose of increasing sounds that can be played simultaneously, that I would consider using this. I am now asking if this is OK from the Kronos staff or not. I saw a post over at N0st forum that someone had been banned for "botting", when he claims he only used this specific sound fix. I do not know if this person did any other shady stuff besides what he claims, it does not matter. I am asking about if the sound fix is allowed only, nothing else. Would be amazing to hear all the lovely sounds in the game properly! :yes:

-Addition-

I better add as much info as possible so I dont get the usual "Its hax! against the rules!" answers that always comes with these kinds of topics.

Copy a post from another thread about why the sound channel edit was done:
"This is a known issue with the 1.12.1 client having reliance on Hardware Accelerated sound channels. When run on a modern PC and Windows XP+ you do not have any access to harware channels. You are left with 12 Software channels which means that you can hear only up to 12 sounds at the same time. This means that if I stand next to 39 other players in a raid while they are fighting mobs i would hear the first 12 sounds. Sounds such as any casting sound, emotes, mobs and players being hit. This totally decreases the immersion of 10 years ago.

It's quite baffling really that a Private Server would ban a person for using something that the Vanilla community has made in order to make a 10 year old client work better on modern computers.

By the way if you are wondering why the EXE was modified, it's because this setting is inaccessible on 1.12.1, but in TBC a built in slider was made in the sound options, which behind the scenes was editing a CVar (Console Variable) easily settable via config.wtf."

This is my Sound.log file

4/11 19:22:58.269 Sound::Initialize()
4/11 19:22:58.269 fmod.dll version 3.75 loaded
4/11 19:22:58.289 memory system configured: SMem wrappers
4/11 19:22:58.333 Output system: 2 'Direct Sound'
4/11 19:22:58.333 Driver: 0 'Primary Sound Driver' 00000000
4/11 19:22:58.333 Mixer: 0 'MMXP6'
4/11 19:22:58.333 Buffer size: 50ms
4/11 19:22:58.333 Channels: 12 (12 software, 0 2D hardware(dsound), 0 3D hardware)
4/11 19:22:58.333 Output rate: 44100 Hz
4/11 19:22:58.333 Initialization flags: 00000082
4/11 19:22:58.333 Sound::Initialize() complete

With the other exe, I get 256 instead. It is all it does. If this is allowed I can share the link so we all can enjoy vanilla like it should be! (or you can just google it yourself)

Also, the n0st guy mentioned above that was banned, was not only because of this exe according to a post there. It stated: "You were banned for hacking, something we do not do haphazardly. This is not just due to you using a modified client, which is a separate part of the issue and still not the mail reason." - This does make the question relevant here. If we use only this and nothing else.

Last edited:
This change is quite reasonable, however Warden will most likely ban you due to modified client.
I do not recommend you to do this, since arguing against ban given by Warden is pointless.

I must confess... :blushing: I risked it. Nothing happened. Played almost two hours without ban. But after Chero's response... I'm afraid to login now again.

Thanks alot for the response Chero! Really appreciate it!

Ye, im in the same boat with you milkutin. Im not going to risk it. All those hours I put into the game, just for extra sounds to be played, is just not worth it. It is very reasonable and should be allowed objectivly. But warden might detect you and react in the same with no matter what purpose you use the .exe for.

Anyway. Until something changes on this, I'll stay away from it.

This change is quite reasonable, however Warden will most likely ban you due to modified client.
I do not recommend you to do this, since arguing against ban given by Warden is pointless.

Is there a way that Warden could identify this specific mod, and put it on an exception list so it does not ban you?

Didnt knew that Warden could ban with a modified .exe

I am using an .exe with more sound channels since level 20 :O (now 50)

Is there a way that Warden could identify this specific mod, and put it on an exception list so it does not ban you?

How does Warden work?

It is completely dynamic, to begin with. All Warden is, is a system for downloading and executing code. At some pre-determined time(usually on login), Blizzard's sends the client one or more "mod" files. Each mod file contains executable code that is designed to detect hacks. The hardcoded component of Warden loads and executes these modules at Blizzard's request.

Since these modules are not hardcoded into the client, Blizzard may alter them at any time. They can change the protocol, the detection methods, or both without the user's consent or even awareness. This means that we can't verify the current Warden as "safe", because it can be made unsafe before anyone has time to react. This is also why protocol decoding methods will not work, because once you've decoded the "hacking" or "not hacking" message, Blizzard can simply change it, rendering your research worthless at best, getting people banned at worst.

There is way, but it may be hard to program it.

I very much doubt you can make it have the ability to allow certain things, however if that addition is possible do let me know, I would be interested in more sound channels.

I would ask your permission if I could use it then if I got banned to say who I was and see if I could get it reversed if you had that power but then that'd be bothersome after so long.

Nice to see more people interested in this modification, even Chero himself think its "quite reasonable". I hope we can get a green light on this sometime, then I will use it as well, until then im gonna skip it. Risking a ban after all this time put into the game is just not worth it. And IF you get banned, appealing to lift the ban when warden detected something will not do any good, its over then.
But I sooooo wanna have proper sound in dungeons, bgs and raids. These missing sounds drives me crazy sometimes, not knowing if your ability got pressed, hit the target or not etc.

Perhaps it is not needed if used with Windows 8+. I don't know if this is true, but heard of this hardware sound support of 8+ few times already.

I use windows 8.1 and it does not work. There is sadly no way around this except to modify the exe. Even the soundcard softwares doesnt seem to be able to change this. It has to do with the client and how it detects hardware, or in this case doesnt detect hardware. The sound slider came in BC so in vanilla only the client itself would recognize the hardware, and with our new computers of modern times, it cant detect it and automatically sets to the lowest amount possible in 2005 (12 channels sound). Unless we get a green light on this particular exe modification, we are screwed when it comes to sounds in the game, raids in particular. Its gonna be awful hearing only 12 channels at once!

How are you using more sound channels... tell me! :eek:

He use the modified exe that I was talking about above. Be careful when using it though as you might get banned by warden. I would recommend you waiting for the official word if this changes in the future.
The link to the modified exe is here: http://www.ac-web.org/forums/showthread.php?172661-1-12-1-client-support
If the staff feels however that posting the link here is not to be allowed then please remove this post and I will not post it again. :)

I know that they are really busy, but I hope that someone from the staff could comment about this, because I know there are some modifications that Warden doesn't ban (I.E. model editing, such as making your character look like another race and stuff).

I know that they are really busy, but I hope that someone from the staff could comment about this, because I know there are some modifications that Warden doesn't ban (I.E. model editing, such as making your character look like another race and stuff).

That's strange. Changing your models are very much messing with the game files and would be considered a modified client no? I was told in a bugreport that I had a "modified client" that caused the issue I had just because I used sweetfx (which I've used 4 years on retail and on every other pvt server), and sweetfx doesnt modify the game files, it just adds a layer on the screen that saturates and sharpens it - not to be confused with ENB. Ofcourse removing sweetfx and every other addon/wdb/wtf folder did nothing and the bug remains as expected: https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=5713
But if that is considered modifying the client, then swapping models surely must be as well? And maybe banable? I was thinking about that dark nights mod that Nim were linking and got removed as well, but even that seems semi-banable not allowed.
There are many things we can do to improve this game, sweetfx and sounds are two of the most vitals ones for me and if we can get the more sound channels allowed then raids will feel truly vanilla :yes:

Alright, so I was in a dungeon before and I seriously cant stand these 12 sound channels anymore. There is so many sounds missing while in a group its insane. Can we please get a green light on this? If not, then just say so. I am going considering to risk using this modified exe now because I just cant stand doing anything in bigger groups with this sound. So as I get closer to 60, I need more sound channels.

Can someone else tell if they use on Kronos and havent been banned? Will the risk of warden ban be big? No one wants to loose all those hours spent just to get banned by something that cannot be unbanned, even if we dont cheat/exploit in any way.

Alright, so I was in a dungeon before and I seriously cant stand these 12 sound channels anymore. There is so many sounds missing while in a group its insane. Can we please get a green light on this? If not, then just say so. I am going considering to risk using this modified exe now because I just cant stand doing anything in bigger groups with this sound. So as I get closer to 60, I need more sound channels.

Can someone else tell if they use on Kronos and havent been banned? Will the risk of warden ban be big? No one wants to loose all those hours spent just to get banned by something that cannot be unbanned, even if we dont cheat/exploit in any way.

I will test this myself and let you know. However this does not mean that warden will not pick it up. Say it might not for my tests but it might for you.

+1. As a shaman with searing totem up spamming fireball impact sound I just don't hear anything else. No crit sound, no windfury proc sound, no healing sound... It's just not that satisfying.

Would be very interested in getting the full sound channels.

Gurky, can you provide me with a download link? The one i have found on "AC-web" or something my virus program deleted right away. I will do a "test evaluation" since not only the sounds get lost, even worse my computer lags alot if I listen to music while playing, maybe it's connected.

And yeah, since Im only lvl 20 so far i feel that i don't risk too much... :crying:

Top Bottom