• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Recruit a friend. Vanilla style.

Cobain

Authorized
There has been a lot of talk concerning the 1x exp and whether or not there will be some kind of exp buffs to generate more activity and population on the server. Personally being a hardcore Vanilla wow junkie...I love the idea! I may love vanilla wow and hate Blizzard for all the changes they've made but RAF in my opinion is one of the few that were ingenious. Simple, fun because you get to play with your friends and have reasons to NOT out level them because they have to work the next morning and You're able to play any race /class you want because you can summon your friend with the click of a button at level 1. With a 1hr cd of course.

I personally am extremely excited about Kronos and have been telling everyone about it, but what would really make it easier to convince my real life friends to join me would be Recruit a Friend. It's not only rewarding to me but also to the Kronos servers. I can't tell you how many times I got my friends to join me on Feenix just to end up out leveling them because one of us had to leave and the other was only half a level away from 40.
It doesn't necessarily have to be "RAF" Just an Account Wide 3xp boost up to 60 as a reward for recruiting a player to join the server.

So let's recap.
Pros:
#1. Players will actually be able to play with their friends for more than 1 day.

#2. Players will feel rewarded by the Kronos staff which is a major plus for Kronos considering how many people
are leaving Feenix due to not feeling appreciated by the servers staff.

#3. Increase in world wide population including lower level zones (Also a plus for the server due to the amount of players who play for world pvp).

#4 A lot of US players fall off because of the 1x leveling. This will increase the level 60 US population, US raid progression which will also create a nice competitive edge for EU players.

#5 Having an option for faster leveling will grab the attention of all those players who are hardcore but gave up half way through the 1-60 grind on 1x servers to go to 12x servers and instant 60 servers.

#6 Recruit a Friend is technically Blizz-like.

Okay now lets see the cons.
Below each Con I will provide a reasonable solution to fixing the problem.
#1. People who use RAF will encounter financial problems do to the increased leveling speed.
Solution: 2x or 3x currency drop to keep up with the levels.

#2. Financial issues due to RAF may attract a large amount of gold buyers.
Solution: Add a cool down on RAF so if a player gets banned due to buying gold, they won't be able to just create a new email and start over without fear. It could even be a temporary ban.

#3. A lot of players would rather quest with 3x xp making it harder for solo players to find groups for dungeons.
Solution: Create a world wide LFG chat only joinable at level 20 or so. That way players will be able to LFG while doing their quests.

If anyone else has any cons they can think of please feel free to comment.

So that's about all I have for this thread. Let me know what you think and thanks for reading!

the biggest downside is one of those you left out, a RAF feature is highly vulnerable to being exploited. People will create several accounts and use such a feature on themselves.
One of the most important things on private servers is to not give the players stuff to exploit, because in this environment where accounts are free such things get out of hand quickly.

Im sure this will get exploited, and what about the people that dont have anyone to recruit?

Bad idea. Everyone should have equal conditions, this bonus is easily exploitable and compromises the entire point of x1 leveling. As for RAF system being Blizzlike, it was introduced in '08, not long before WoTLK release. No Vanilla server would benefit from something that casual.

Also
#4 A lot of US players fall off because of the 1x leveling.
Is that really a bad thing? Most obnoxious guild on ED was american.

In my opinion, some kind of level boost should be considered few months afer server launch when most of the low level zones die out.

I don't agree with this. RAF, just as the Heirloom items, was made to just make the game easier, and to go through the old content faster.

In my opinion, some kind of level boost should be considered few months afer server launch when most of the low level zones die out.

I am quite bored so I created char on one well known prebc server (1/2 is rly badly scripted, or not at all). Even when I thought low lvl areas will be dead, I have to say, they are not. Full group for 8lvl quest wasnt problem - actually it took like 30 seconds.. same for rfc run. My point is when this server that sucks doesnt have problem with not enough newcomers, kronos hopefully wont have too. (ofc time will show)

As for people exploiting just simply don't give any boost to currency. That way RAFing would hemorrhage money rather than create easy profit.

And as for people RAFing themselves, add a 3-6month long cool down on it or even only a one time thing!
That way people with existing accounts can't just power level multiple toons.

My point is leveling with a friend in this game is next to impossible at 1x xp..and that's the kind of thing that will bring a lot of players to the server.

Am I in the minority for wanting a 1x server with minimal incentives...?

I don't feel like I am but with all the talk the people who don't want it I feel like the minority.

As for people exploiting just simply don't give any boost to currency. That way RAFing would hemorrhage money rather than create easy profit.

And as for people RAFing themselves, add a 3-6month long cool down on it or even only a one time thing!
That way people with existing accounts can't just power level multiple toons.

My point is leveling with a friend in this game is next to impossible at 1x xp..and that's the kind of thing that will bring a lot of players to the server.

still very exploitable its just not gonna work, theres way too many cons for this idea

still very exploitable its just not gonna work, there's way too many cons for this idea

But does the good outweigh the bad?
Worst case scenario some players power level themselves by duel boxing every 6 months.
Assuming they add a 6 month Cool down to it.
That still keeps long term players on the server because people who get burnt out on their shaman aren't to intimidated by the grind to reroll Mage. 6 months is a long time.

How many players will abuse it...every six months.... compared to how many players it will attract to the server. Face it. the amount of genuine Vanilla wow players is in the thousands world wide.
If that wasn't true than Emerald dream the supposed #1 vanilla wow server would have more than 2,500 players online at peak hours.

This is a delicate situation because there are players who want 100% Blizz-like.
What they need to realize is they have to decide whether they want 100% Blizz-like or 99% Blizz-like with a Thriving community.

Forget RAF. Any type of xp boosting promotion.
I'm playing regardless. However if I get to 60 and don't have a strong community to play with, what else is there to do? BG queues are to long, raids are only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I could world pvp but there aren't enough players to start anything fun such as Korgath battles.

Kronos will be the #1 Vanilla wow Server, but in order to keep that you will need some sort of promotion to attract new players. All the hardcore vanilla players are right here and signed up. What happens when some of us start to get burnt out? 1 in 10 players who start on a vanilla server don't make it to 60.

I don't feel like I am but with all the talk the people who don't want it I feel like the minority.

Dont worry lots of people here want the same.

So how exactly is this RAF system different from setting the xp rates to optional 1x-3x? (Hint: It's not)

Faster levelling is achievable with much simpler/easier measures, why waste time on implementing this?

So how exactly is this RAF system different from setting the xp rates to optional 1x-3x? (Hint: It's not)

Faster levelling is achievable with much simpler/easier measures, why waste time on implementing this?

Well one there is the ability to summon your friend.

Other than that It's not. It's just an idea for a faster leveling rate that a lot of people want and an idea that hasn't been thrown out yet.

Like i said "Forget the RAF part. Just a faster way to level as a reward."

People like feeling rewarded, especially by companies they support.

- - - Updated - - -

the biggest downside is one of those you left out, a RAF feature is highly vulnerable to being exploited. People will create several accounts and use such a feature on themselves.
One of the most important things on private servers is to not give the players stuff to exploit, because in this environment where accounts are free such things get out of hand quickly.

You're very right. Same goes for all temporary boosts. That's why you find a way to prevent prior to releasing it. Though I am glad to see you're interested enough to read my post. =)

The difference is, you have what you want!
Its the players who don't have what they want who cry the loudest.

Chero sayed it pretty well - half of the community says "with just 1x you are doomed" another half says "without 1x you are doomed" so it seems, that no matter what, Kronos is doomed :biggrin:

Like i said "Forget the RAF part. Just a faster way to level as a reward."

People like feeling rewarded, especially by companies they support.

I get it, it's just that a reward doesn't feel that special when literally everyone has it. Which would definitely happen here, whether it be with extra alt-accounts, or with "recruiting" people, friends or strangers, who already wanted to play here.

Out of curiosity - what do you base this on?

The same scientific data that was collected to prove that 1 out of 10 who start on a private server quit before hitting 60. However from the data that I have collected I can show that 10 out of 10 who starts playing any game will sooner or later quit playing that game.

The game is what it is, if a "RAF" idea would come someday to celebrate the anniversary of Kronos then I wouldn't mind, if it was time restricted for a short period of time. To the motivation that you can't level with your friends: Well tough luck, if you have a short amount of playtime every week to utilize then of course you can't pull together your schedules every single time. For those who are a bit more active, there's nothing in the way for them being able to keep up leveling with their friends.

The same scientific data that was collected to prove that 1 out of 10 who start on a private server quit before hitting 60. However from the data that I have collected I can show that 10 out of 10 who starts playing any game will sooner or later quit playing that game.

The game is what it is, if a "RAF" idea would come someday to celebrate the anniversary of Kronos then I wouldn't mind, if it was time restricted for a short period of time. To the motivation that you can't level with your friends: Well tough luck, if you have a short amount of playtime every week to utilize then of course you can't pull together your schedules every single time. For those who are a bit more active, there's nothing in the way for them being able to keep up leveling with their friends.

SO True. If you want to play with your friends who can't keep up with your leveling or your play times are very different than maybe some could go play retail, you can level with them and they have features enabled for that. Why are people so addicted to making the game easier....That's the purpose of vanilla. It's hard. It takes tons of time, it takes teamwork, and most importantly it forces you to explore and grow.

If you want to play with your friends leveling quick go play on warsong or something, but DON"T come to Kronos and tell Chero, staff, and devlopers who have spent weeks, months, and years developing a
"""""1.12. Vanilla Server""""" that their server is doomed unless they do what YOU want--because that is what being explicitly and implicitly conveyed.

Isn't it an obvious assumption that almost the entire populace whom wants higher leveling will be putting in LESS commitment, effort, and time into the game than those who want regular 1x?

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to have the wrong idea here and are seem to be hostile.
So if I could explain.

I don't have friends to play this with because the few friends I have left that play wow are playing WoD. and I hate alts so I won't be exploiting.

Also I completely respect Chero and the Kronos staff for what they're doing here. I know this server is going to be awesome. I just want to see it last is all.
All my statistics were based on previous ED posts and real experience on Feenix servers.
and I certainly never meant for this to be anytime soon.
I saw a lot of people posting for 3x xp, I had an idea and threw it out. You don't have to crucify me for it. thanks.

This server is a dream come true to me.
Something I've been wanting since the day I stepped into outlands.
I just want to see it succeed. sorry.

Last edited:
One of the BIGGEST "ingredients" to Vanilla WoW is to have a hard time to reach to 60. WE SHOULD NOT CHANGE THIS. It makes being a 60 an accomplishment. Your friends can not understand this because they have not played thru the game. WE SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Top Bottom