• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Server Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilzzz

Hey guys,

there is one question in my mind for which I just don't get an answer on my own: There are atleast kronos and nostalrius going to start soon (i think it's even 1-2 more which will probably start in the next months) with nearly the same features like 1x rates everything and gradual content release. And all projects cost money and do not make money. All projects are a competitor and have a negative influence on each other. All have to hope for a good population to keep the server runnning.
So why don't do those projects just find together and make ONE really good server? Since they have the same purposes with a nice blizzlike vanilla feeling, what is the problem? The money? There is none. The tribute? Come now...
In my opinion there would be only advanteges like WAY bigger population (more active dungeons and battlegrounds, more guilds (you don't have a nice vanilla feeling when there are only 2 guilds on every side competing with each other), faster fixes of buggs (due to more people working on it), less dependence on a few people (like when one scripter leaves and one is at vaction, who does fixes? :p ) and and and.
So why don't make ONE big project instead of 3 or 4 little from whom probably 2 die and their people just leveled up a char in 5-7 days played time just to realize that it was for nothing?
I would really like to hear just one satisfying reason why that won't be an option. I can't imagine even one problem which couldn't be solved. Everybody will have the reward of it: the people running the project(s) have less work and stress; the people playing on the server have a BETTER and more POPULATED server and therfore the better vanilla feeling and fun.

Can you give me an answer or just your opinion? Btw I would really like to here a statement of the administration, too.

Greets,
Nilzzz

This suggestion was already made a month ago.. search forums for "merge" topic and you'll find the answers.

I would be for it, but not possible, neither server will probablz give up their admin status, also merging fixes is pretty unrealistic, so 1 side would need to leave their server and work on the other

Also, who knows if Kronos will lack of population? I personally don't think it will, and I also think that's why you don't see many upcoming Kronos players suggestion a merge like this. I'm very confident that we'll do great in terms of population, considering the activity on our forum and views on the developer videos.

Also, who knows if Kronos will lack of population? I personally don't think it will, and I also think that's why you don't see many upcoming Kronos players suggestion a merge like this. I'm very confident that we'll do great in terms of population, considering the activity on our forum and views on the developer videos.

Well, I won't say that Kronos would lack population, but what would you like more? Playing on a server with 400 people online and have some fun while you know there is one more server where the people have the exactly same situation or playing on one server with 800 people online?

So read the other "Merge" thread and I think there are two main reasons:

1.Admins don't want to give up there own project
But why? Sure there was much time and work in their project but you shall never forget why this project exists. It's because they want to create a good vanilla server for other people to play on. So they don't do it for money or fame, just for other people. So what's the problem with giving up one project to support another one? I mean I would understand it if private server would have something like a monthly fee so the admins earn some money. But that's not the case, they are just doing it for other people to have a good server to enjoy vanilla wow once more. So I really can't understand that reason. That would be like being selfish in a completly free non-selfish project :blink:

2. Codes are not compatible and if they mix up their work, it could cause even more buggs
BUT that problem would not exist if one project would be completly closed and the devs start working on the other project, too.

So you allways have to keep in mind what a private server project is: It's a non commerical non-fame-gaining project to provide a server for a lot of people to enjoy vanilla wow. So it's all about giving something to foreign people and don't getting anything back. The only goal of the admins of a server is to build up that perfect server for other players. But if you create more than one server at once you don't give a treat to the people. The population just splits and you have some good populated server instead of having one really really good populated server.
So all in all: The only goal of the admins of a private server project is to provide the best vanilla server and to amuse the people. This goal, the goal of the admins would be reached with the best results when you make only one really really good server instead of more. So admins should - in my opinion - accept some compromises in order to reach their own goal with best results.

tl;dr

This is the second topic opened by a player who is also active on Nostalrius forum.
Guys really...

Well, I won't say that Kronos would lack population, but what would you like more? Playing on a server with 400 people online and have some fun while you know there is one more server where the people have the exactly same situation or playing on one server with 800 people online?

Well, we have no clue about what the population will be before the projects has launched?
I personally believe that Kronos will be able to get 800 active players by itself, and therefore wouldn't benefit as much from a merge as Nostalrius, which I predict won't get as many players as Kronos. That's just my opinion and thoughts.

You seem to forget the most important thing, apart from it being highly unrealistic.. This is a discussion purely for the developing staff of both projects. There are things to consider that players have little to none knowledge of and such considerations will never happen publicly for all of you to see.
You can keep daydreaming and suggesting, but all of it is useless, because this kind of stuff just goes way over our heads.

So why don't make ONE big project instead of 3 or 4 little from whom probably 2 die and their people just leveled up a char in 5-7 days played time just to realize that it was for nothing?

All of us would want something like this, one of the reasons Pservers are incomparable to retail is due to lack of staff, after all.

But would the scripts of a particular server be compatible with the other servers? I dont think so. For something like a merge to happen, it has to happen before the majority of bugfixs take place. Otherwise one of the parties would be throwing away all their hard work and their project to work on the other.

Also no competition isn't a good thing for quality. Just take a look at peenix and you will understand what happens when a project has the majority of player base without a competition. Competition is a good thing and having alternatives wouldnt hurt.

2. Codes are not compatible and if they mix up their work, it could cause even more buggs
BUT that problem would not exist if one project would be completly closed and the devs start working on the other project, too.

So you allways have to keep in mind what a private server project is: It's a non commerical non-fame-gaining project to provide a server for a lot of people to enjoy vanilla wow. So it's all about giving something to foreign people and don't getting anything back. The only goal of the admins of a server is to build up that perfect server for other players. But if you create more than one server at once you don't give a treat to the people. The population just splits and you have some good populated server instead of having one really really good populated server.
So all in all: The only goal of the admins of a private server project is to provide the best vanilla server and to amuse the people. This goal, the goal of the admins would be reached with the best results when you make only one really really good server instead of more. So admins should - in my opinion - accept some compromises in order to reach their own goal with best results.

This would mean to abandon 4 years of your hard work and your expensive hardware and start again.

tl;dr

This is the second topic opened by a player who is also active on Nostalrius forum.
Guys really...

Ohh really? I didn't even notice that I registered there. I must have done it while sleepwalking since you saw it in your fortuneteller-orb :blink:

Well, we have no clue about what the population will be before the projects has launched?
I personally believe that Kronos will be able to get 800 active players by itself, and therefore wouldn't benefit as much from a merge as Nostalrius, which I predict won't get as many players as Kronos. That's just my opinion and thoughts.

Well I think Nostalrius will have more members than we do, but that's not the point. The numbers I mentioned were arbitrary. What I just wanted to say with that higher population is more fun and a higher survivability of the server.
But would the scripts of a particular server be compatible with the other servers? I dont think so. For something like a merge to happen, it has to happen before the majority of bugfixs take place. Otherwise one of the parties would be throwing away all their hard work and their project to work on the other.

No it won't be compatible, but that's why I mentioned a merge of the scripters and not of the scripts.
This would mean to abandon 4 years of your hard work and your expensive hardware and start again.

Well I guess that could be the only real reason but I don't know how long the people are working on the servers so far.

Well, there are mainly two basic problems:

1) Technical side of merge
Merging two different cores is very, very complicated and time-consuming work. It will take X next months to finish it.
Better way is leave one core and work on the other one. But - this will lead to next problem below...

2) Personal side of merge
So, there will be some conflicts. Which core will be abandoned? Which hardware will be used? Who will be main administrator of "new" server? In this case, will be new server still part of the Twinstar project or not? etc. etc......

As before, personally I think that best solution is abandonment of one server and its staff will join the other. Of course, there can be new name for this server with new web etc., but technically it will be still same server as before, just with new guys in the team.
BUT, which server will be abandoned and which not?! That is the question...

Personally, I think that Kronos has better technical base than Nostalrius. Kronos is part of Twinstar project - there is good DDoS protection, good system support, good financial and "environment" background (just look at Rebirth's situation) etc.
So IMHO is better for all if guys from Nostalrius will join Kronos (yeah really unexpected :whistling:).

Now you can try persuade them. You will see...

Last edited:
btw.. Nostalrius? Is that the one where players act all high and mighty bashing on Kronos' character auction and then defend the restoration of their instant level 60s from beta with "it's not gonna matter a few months after release" and "the testers deserve a reward for playing the beta and contributing to improving the server for themselves"? :shifty:

Well, there are mainly two basic problems:

Merging two different cores is very, very complicated and time-consuming work. It will take X next months to finish it.
Better way is leave one core and work on the other one. But - this will lead to next problem below...

So, there will be some conflicts. Which core will be abandoned? Which hardware will be used? Who will be main administrator of "new" server? In this case, will be new server still part of the Twinstar project or not? etc. etc......

As before, personally I think that best solution is abandonment of one server and its staff will join the other. Of course, there can be new name for this server with new web etc., but technically it will be still same server as before, just with new guys in the team.
BUT, which server will be abandoned and which not?! That is the question...

Personally, I think that Kronos has better technical base than Nostalrius. Kronos is part of Twinstar project - there is good DDoS protection, good system support, good financial and "environment" background (just look at Rebirth's situation) etc.
So IMHO is better for all if guys from Nostalrius will join Kronos (yeah really unexpected :whistling:).

Now you can try persuade them. You will see...

Yeah there I'm completly on your side. No matter who joins whom, but I think that the work on Kronos is the better choice just because of the reason you said.
So the admins of a server do something for a other people and i'm sure that most of the people would like one big server instead of two smaller ones. So when it's in the interest of the players it should be in the interest of the admins, too. What I wonder is, did both side really already sit down together on a table and tried to get a solution for a fusion or did they just say "No way" without even having the try of a fair compromise?

Well I think Nostalrius will have more members than we do, but that's not the point.

evil-agent-smith_preview.jpg

No seriously...
Can you please stop this retarded attempt to advertise?

By the way. We are a friendly community. Anyone is free to join us. Tell that to your friends.

Don´t think it´s that senceless. The discussion about is senceless because nobody of us can manage that.

The comments show that the community wants one (big) good scripted server and not two half populated. Kronos already looks fine with a stable community. Nostalrius also looks good but not that big community-> People will play on Kronos. All I want is a populated classic server so I don´t care if there´s any other server which is better scripted or bla bla.

Well idea is good, but don´t think it´ll become reality. It´s not in our hands, we just can tell them what we want.

Last edited:

This. I find it quite pointless to discuss this issue now, when both servers are at their very beginning. Topic locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom