• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Shaman Shaman fun

Makoto

Triggerwarning
If you are the kind of person that can’t handle when people don’t play the optimal spec for there class. If you are the person who can’t hinder yourself from writing, “you are shaman HEAL”. Then i suggest you don’t read any longer because your eyes will bleed.
For you who love unconventional builds and experiment do pls read and give feedback.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaman tanking

Why do i even do this. Well most of all i love lvling in vanilla wow, i don’t have the time to dedicate to raiding. And this is a 13 year old game. i want to have fun and try something else.

So my plan are tanking with my shaman up lvl 60 content. I know it works well because others have done it successfully. So here are a guide of my thinking when it comes to tanking. There are people out there who knows this better than me and some of the ideas come from talking to them. And they may say some part of my thinking are wrong then i change. But special thanks to Gengy who have given me the most knowledge about shaman tank and this guide would be nothing without his feedback to me. He tanked as Shaman both on Rebirth and Kronos 2 and i know even tanked some raidbosses.

This are just some startup thoughts.

Race
When it comes to race i would say go with what you think looks cool. I am Orc. But if you wan't to max out i would say orc are the worst of the three races.

Tauren: Health bonus gives a little better survivability. Warstomp can be a life saver and give the healer som time to heal up when pulling packs. It have a 2 min CD and that's pretty short.

Troll: Best race for aggro. Rockbiter are one of the best threat-buildup you have. It works really well with troll racial berserking. This gives you an attack speed bonus between 10-25% on a 3 min CD.

Orc: Hardiness gives 25% increase in stunresist and axe specialization gives 5 bonus in axes. They are both good skills but Hardiness better in PvP than in PvE.

I would say its pretty even imo between a troll and a Tauren. But i would say that both of them have better racials than an Orc for tanking.

Stats
Stamina > Agility > pure avoidance stats > MP 5 > crit > Int > Strength

Profession:
Engineering are the optimal one. You have grenades for aoe damage, stun/interupt, resistance trinkets and AoE tanking shield.

Slow or fast mainhand weapon
On weapons stats are the most important thing because you need that stamina and also agility. When it comes to speed it really don’t mather at lower lvls but i find faster a bit easier because if target dodge/parry etc it's not as punishing for you. And TAB between targets not as slow to get Rockbiter hits on them. Slower weapon becomes more important later on when you get Stormstrike ability.

Builds:
https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hgczxZVV0dEguz Imp. totems & Reverberation

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hgczZVV0dEgut Imp. totems & Weapon mastery

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hgczxZVV0zExup Weapon mastery & Reverberation

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hxfzxZVV0dEguz Imp. totems & Reverberation & Earth Grasp

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hxfzZVV0dEgut imp. totems & Weapon Mastery & Earth Grasp

Totems priority:
Fire: Flametongue (if no WF up) otherwise its waste of mana

Air: WF, GoA, Grounding

Earth: Tremor, SoE, Stoneskin, Earthbind

Water: Resistance, poison/Disease, mana spring,

1. Tremor totem, on all fights where that's needed

2. If resistance is needed use that water totem

3. Groups of mobs use Stoneskin for more survivability big group of weak enemies (non-elites)

4. Use grace of air totem, when you need extra survivability. But then drop Flametongue totem as well for the melee.

5. Use Grace of air totem if you have no one needing WF totem

Keybinds:
at lvl ~ 20 and leveling:

Earth Shock lvl 1/3

Earth Shock lvl 1/3/4

Earth Shock lvl 1/4/5

Your second rank should be 4 until you have max rank 7

lvl 60: Earth Shock lvl 1/5/7

Rank 1 Earth Shock is an interrupt.

Rank 5 Earth Shock is your ‘Sunder Armor’.

Rank 7 Earth Shock is your ‘Taunt’.

Shockpriority
If earth shock immune use:

Frost shock - for fast aggro

Flame shock - have higher dpm/tpm (damage per minute=Threat per minute)

Pull:
It is pretty easy to pull as a shaman if you compare to an Paladin for example. You can either use lightning bolt or earth shock on single target pulls. Or if there are a pack use chain lightning.
When pulling 2 mobs (before chain lightning) i tend to use LB on the second target and autoattack the main target for aggro. (only use ES if i lose aggro).
When pulling 3 mobs (before chain lightning) i tend to LB second target, ES third target and autoattack main target.
When you have chain lightning target second or third target so the main target get the damage reduction.

Last edited:
I find this idea very cool and it helps finfing tanks during lvling dungeons. What i am wondering now is how far you can take this. Is there any way to tank stuff like ZG, AQ20 or even MC bosses? Is there enough defense gear available to shamans to reach def cap? I want to see a shaman tanking rag! Make it happen. Please

Since vanguard is horde now, they could definitely try this! With enough consumes and proper raid setup i think this could work!

I find this idea very cool and it helps finfing tanks during lvling dungeons. What i am wondering now is how far you can take this. Is there any way to tank stuff like ZG, AQ20 or even MC bosses? Is there enough defense gear available to shamans to reach def cap? I want to see a shaman tanking rag! Make it happen. Please

I am pretty sure that you can do all dungeons in vanilla with out any problem. The same as it is for Paladins and druids.
In a raid enviroment you should go warrior. But of for fun some raid-bosses could work with a shaman. For example spell damage bosses were Elemental Warding will come in handy.

I don't see holding aggro a problem. And like Paladins we lack taunt, but have much higher singletarget threat so we can bring the target back anyway. We need in much higher regard than paladin and druids
between targets to rockbite them.

the main issue with shaman tanking might be new gear getting

when you get 60 and will try to get gear for your healing spec you might notice that your party healer will be unhappy with that
same you might get when try to roll on elemental items

thing that tank rolls for mele dps maces is reasonable so maybe enchantment dps will be your dual spec in this case

As a Raidtankadin, I say “Rock on.”
Thanks. It's alot of fun. But hard part convincing groups. But the thing is that it actualy work fine. And when you have mail on every part and stack stamina/agility there are no reason to say no to Shaman tank.

Top Bottom