• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Some Druid questions

buddhaseyes

Authorized
Hello dear Kronos-community

I just have few questions about the Druid in Vanilla (I started playing shortly before Cataclysm was released).

I´m very sorry for a quite bad english, I´ll do my best to be understood ;)

1. I heard the only "playable" spec is Resto. Is this true, or are there ways to play a tank druid too?

2. Is it possible to have a hybrid specc? Like feral/heal or balance/tank or even all three specs? (I remember, back in Cata it was possible to play bear/cat pretty good)

3. How is the solo-content (leveling/questing) as a druid? And would it be possible to make it through as a resto?

4. Is there just THE ONE skilltree for each specc, or are there some more?

By the way, we could use this thread as a ask/awnser thread for druids ;)

Greetings, buddhaseyes

I don't have any knowledge about druids, but I know one thing. Your 3rd question is an absolute "Just don't." I'm not sure what the best spec for leveling is, but I do know that any healing spec is a ***** to level with. With the 10g respec, I'd recommend rolling with either feral/balance throughout leveling, you're sure to have an easier time.

1 Druid can tank in dungeons quite effectively but in raids its meh ... its maaaayybe viable in MC and ZG when bosses dont hit that hard and you have a lot of consumables and the right gear which is hard to find. But later on its really bad, so if you are planning to do serious raiding just go resto.

2. Once again feral is possible in dungeons, talents are actually pretty good for feral druids so you can make an easy hybrid for bear / cat.

3. Theres no point in going full resto .. you go feral and you save healing gear for dungeons. You can heal pretty much any low - mid tier dungeons. The leveling and questing with feral is pretty solid, you shouldnt have any problems with that.

4. There are a ton of specs for druids. You can play with talent tree a lot. But for raiding there are like 2 max.

for leveling id go for something like http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11226005_11_8014c5301h55d2132320215105n (rush omen of clarity first then feral)

healer in dungeons / low gear / newbie. http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11226005_11_8014ze505503155315251

raid healer http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_11_80143c33020413s505103105115d

Last edited:
1: For raiding, unfortunately only resto is viable (less demanding guilds might take a balance or feral tank to raids), and feral tank is viable but only for 5man dungeons.

2: It is absolutely possible, but only for PVP. I've seen a good number of pvp specs for druids in vanilla.

3: For the sake of your own sanity PLEASE DON'T!

4: Yup, that's exactly how vanilla is.

1. I heard the only "playable" spec is Resto. Is this true, or are there ways to play a tank druid too?

Not true. Resto is the spec you basically have to play 90% of the time in Raids but otherwise every spec is viable. On lower levels you CAN tank if you know what youre doing. On lower levels you can definitly go cat-dps, and you can also definitly go balance-dps, just dont expect to top the dps meters all the time.

2. Is it possible to have a hybrid specc? Like feral/heal or balance/tank or even all three specs? (I remember, back in Cata it was possible to play bear/cat pretty good)

In Vanilla, Feral spec always was a Bear + Cat spec, there was no Guardian spec at all.
So if you go Feral, Bear and Cat forms will be equally important and played 50/50.

Yes you pretty much have to be somewhat of a Hybrid seeing you have 51 talent points and Talent Trees are only 31 points deep. So Feral/Resto 30/21 is a common spec among PvPers etc.

I woulndn't go for a tri-spec like a bit of all three... but who knows it may work.
Vanilla is cool like that.

3. How is the solo-content (leveling/questing) as a druid? And would it be possible to make it through as a resto?

Everything is possible, but I would not recommend going Resto to level up at all lol.
In Vanilla most of your leveling is done through questing and grinding (if you ask me), and thus you need to be able to do damage. I would go for Feral which has the least amount of downtime seeing that Balance Druids are one of the least popular specs especially in PvP. While leveling its still doable to be Balance but I'd say Feral is better. But whatever you like.

That being said: Getting faster movement speed outdoors in all forms through Feral spec, getting Travel form at lvl 30, being able to Tank effectively in Bear to a certain extend, being able to stealth and dps in Cat, I'd say Druids are one of the better leveling classes.

4. Is there just THE ONE skilltree for each specc, or are there some more?

There are always little or not-so-little things you can tweek about any spec in Vanilla.
Sure there are some cookie-cutter builds but its very flexible and imo theres room to play around and experiment to your hearts desire.

Last edited:
You have too look at Druids in a certain way.
Druids was supposed to be the hybrid class of the game, it means that they should be okay in every role (imagine this, while there are three types of classes in wow - DDs, healers and tanks - druids can be listed in another category we can call "support").

As you can understand, due to this nature, it was probably the most intricate class for developers to make, and in fact the failed at it at the start, and the class was completely unbalanced at the dawn of warcraft.
Balance spec is nothing compared with any casters class, Feral tanking was a joke and completely overplayed by other classes and feral DD (catform) worlds apart from rogues. Resto was the viable one, the only one required in groups, pretty good hots, rebirth and innervate, nothing more.

Obviously, Blizzard noticed the mistake made and patch after patch tried to fix that unbalancement.
Once TBC was released, the Druid class was restored and with every single expansion, druid became more popular and how it was supposed to be at the start. Look at them now, they are the only class with FOUR specs.

Anyway, you have to keep in mind that the version of Vanila you are going to play, is the patch 1.12, and druid was absolutely a playable class, with TBC behind the door.

Of course, Restoration is the most efficent one, thanks to the druid's particular heals (best hots in the game), its innervate and such. Another cool thing about the Resto spec, my opinion, is that is the only spec you are not shapeshifted (no trees!)--> you can finally see your hard-obtained gear in a world where transmogs doesn't exist.
Don't use it while leveling tho because it is going to be really hard and you can easily heal low level dungeons with the other specs.

Feral should be used while questing and in PvP. While leveling is the best one compared to balance with less downtimes and highest survivability. From level 25+ you almost dont have to drink/eat, cause you return to your "normal" form just to heal yourself and then shapeshift again. You can also go balance, here you obviously have to drink and your game will slow down.

Plus, remind that in Vanilla, while some classes are certainly OP and others aren't, is a matter of skill. If you master your class, expecially in PvP you can beat down everyone. You don't like to be a restoration druid in raids? Cool, prove the server you're a badass balance druid, one spot in every guild is (almost) always guaranteed. Same goes for the feral spec, you are not going to be the main tank (remember when i talked about the "support" role), but show down your skill and offtank it.

Druid is a fascinating class, has a unique playstile but is definitely more difficult to master compared to other classes. It's up to you, if you like to be the underdog and/or you like to be challenged hard, go for it!

Last edited:
Sorry your POV, is plain wrong. The rise of hybrid classes, to shine in every Rolle started in TBC, true so far. But the reason is a little bit different. After classic the lead class designer left blizzard, dunno the Name yet. And he was the opinion a class should just shine in one role.. The new lead dev just messed everything up..

Sorry your POV, is plain wrong. The rise of hybrid classes, to shine in every Rolle started in TBC, true so far. But the reason is a little bit different. After classic the lead class designer left blizzard, dunno the Name yet. And he was the opinion a class should just shine in one role.. The new lead dev just messed everything up..
eh that's one of the nice things that came with tbc, I enjoy every specc being playable

May be true, don't really know what happens/happened behind the game and to Blizzard employers/developers.

I've always been a Druid, and my feelings about the class are the ones i tried to express above, that could be wrong from another POV like yours, and maybe are totally wrong.

I just have always seen druids like a sort of experiment. While there is no doubt that a class should just shine in one role, as you said, i think that the druid were, or could be, something different.
The structure behind the class itself suggests me two things:

1)the lead class designer did something wrong, his will could be to create another one-role class, but that's not the druid's case. For sure, it is a good healing class, but the fact that it has 3 different specs that covers every single role in the game (dd, heal, tank) always concerned me;

2) there is pattern behind the class development, that leads to create a different type of class.

Now, the only way to be sure of the real druid's role in vanilla is to ask directly to this man. As we can't do that, everyone has the benefit to create his own theory.
Did the new designer messed everything up because he had a completely different idea of classes? Could be true.
Did the new designer messed everything up because he saw that pattern? Could be true aswell.

It's a matter of point of views, Zed, who knows!

Last edited:
For bear stuff I know for a fact you can tank raids. We had a tank druid in our guild in vanilla retail. Not just in drunken runs but in progression content too. He knew his class very well and did his research. He levelled enchanting for the BRD trinket. He was THE guy who picked the third trinket option in the Rend quest line. He camped AH for Warden Staff. You need to put thought and effort on your gearing more than any other spec in this game, because some of the pieces are non-negotiable. You'll end up meeting lots of clueless/narrow-minded players. Even if you miraculously end up raid tanking, you won't be showered with loot choices, so there's that. Or go resto. Either way there aren't enough of you...

For bear stuff I know for a fact you can tank raids. We had a tank druid in our guild in vanilla retail. Not just in drunken runs but in progression content too. He knew his class very well and did his research. He levelled enchanting for the BRD trinket. He was THE guy who picked the third trinket option in the Rend quest line. He camped AH for Warden Staff. You need to put thought and effort on your gearing more than any other spec in this game, because some of the pieces are non-negotiable. You'll end up meeting lots of clueless/narrow-minded players. Even if you miraculously end up raid tanking, you won't be showered with loot choices, so there's that. Or go resto. Either way there aren't enough of you...

I was planning on being either prot pvp/pve hybrid on warrior, hunter, rogue. But after reading these posts - I am VERY tempted to try my hand at being a druid, only gripe is I wish I could be a human, but Idm. I am gonna research all I can to see if I can become a valuable Druid Tank :D Wish me luck and believe in me if i decide to, and I'll do it :D

I was planning on being either prot pvp/pve hybrid on warrior, hunter, rogue. But after reading these posts - I am VERY tempted to try my hand at being a druid, only gripe is I wish I could be a human, but Idm. I am gonna research all I can to see if I can become a valuable Druid Tank :D Wish me luck and believe in me if i decide to, and I'll do it :D

This might be helpfull!
http://www.wowwiki.com/Level_60_druid_tanking_equipment

Thank you so very much friend. :) I want to play a class that I enjoy, isn't something everyone picks and is still very helpful and just good as a class. On a side note I think I'll bust open the old vanilla WoW box I have, nostalgia and read what the manual said just for nostalgic reasons xD Oh man I can't wait to play on this server!! :smile::biggrin::laugh::w00t::lol:

Though I may not be able to play Kronos as much as I would've liked when it comes out, even if I didn't play it, not answering these questions with experienced facts would haunt me until I die. I played vanilla during its retail years and was part of a competitive raiding guild on the Draenor server, Horde side. My druid experience comes from a guild friend during that time, and my personal experience during my time as a druid on a vanilla private server, don't know if we're allowed to name drop here, but I heard nothing but good reviews on it before it died fairly recently. Though I had critiques, like mobs using their special mechanics at least 3 times more often, anyway.

"1. I heard the only "playable" spec is Resto. Is this true, or are there ways to play a tank druid too?"

Though I'm not surprised you heard this, it is very wrong, and I'll explain why
Bear Tank: The issue associated with bear tanks is the difficulty in becoming defense capped. Though still possible to do so, the stats sacrificed are not worth it. Bear tanks basically have to take a different approach, being high stam, armor, and agi/dodge. My tank had about 30+% dodge unbuffed/no consumables, before the p-server went to crap. Our guild UoS in retail vanilla had a bear tank, Herculees, who tanked all the time, whatever he wanted during raids without an issue, and it never halted progression.
Perks to bears: 1.Since you have no defensive abilities/buttons, all your time/rage is dedicated to threat, this being the case, yes, you do threat circles around other tanks. I never once had an issue out threating, or coming in after and getting threat over other tanks. Doesn't insult their skill, its just the layout provided. 2. Since agility is one of your 3(4, being dodge but agi contributes to that) stats you seek after, you have very high crit, which helps with threat and rage gen, rage gen can be a problem for tanks (especially when a priest bubbles you at the start and you cant get rage from taking damage), bears don't have this problem. 3. Resistance gear, when using resistance gear, many stats are sacrificed (shield block value, sb chance, defense, parry, dodge, etc.) however, druids don't sacrifice anywhere near as much as other tanks considering resistance gear has 2 of the three stats commonly sought after. Bears make great resistance tanks. 4. Ill stop at 4 because I hate making huge posts (and I know this will be one), but simple druid mechanics. I speak for my experience in ZG which is a great place to tank as a bear, Jindo polymorphs all the time, and you should just tank him with a bear, period. Also (though I don't remember if we tried this in retail) the spider boss's web mechanic where you usually have to tanks (one to catch her) could be shapeshifted out of (on the p-server I was on) making her a 1 tank pony. There are many perks to bear tanks that are commonly over looked, but the 1 true requirement to playing, is taking the time to get all your "pre-raid best in slot gear," consumables, enchants, etc. Just do your work as you should before raiding and you'll be tanking fine. I was told I was fine to heal, sometimes easier when doing encounters, remember, healers know more about what they're doing now too. There are some perks to private servers too haha.

Balance ("oomkin"): Though my experience is less in this field, I know all of the top raiding guild on my retail vanilla server had at least one, sometimes more. The problem associated with this class/spec, is the lack of attention before trying to jump into raids. This meaning, no pre-raid BiS, consumables, enchants, etc. Whereas if a mage/lock did this and sucked at damage, they at worst got "L2P" "scrub" "do better" insults and whatnot. If a balance druid did this they received many "you're the wrong spec" "oomkins suck" "go respect to resto now." The problem being, nobody got to see the cases where balance was done right. Sorry to burst your indoctrinated forum knowledge guys, but a proper raiding balance druid would pull agro before going oom. The term Oomkins came from inexperienced played (mainly in pvp) who didn't know how to react when pressured and just spammed their instant cast (moonfire) which is terrible on mana. Though no locks/mages were gonna defend balance in anyway shape or form, well, because that's gear competition.

Cat ("kiddy dps"): Im sorry, I have no experience with this, nor can I defend it. I can only defend a alliance player (in pvp) "Cptoblivious" on Draenor who could kill clothies really fast as cat and not die as a bear. talking hour+ long stalemates in wsg. Other than that, I can't say anything for cats. Though, maybe this could be your chance to experiment with that aspect and see what can be done.

"2. Is it possible to have a hybrid specc? Like feral/heal or balance/tank or even all three specs? (I remember, back in Cata it was possible to play bear/cat pretty good)"
These "hybrid" spec's usually shine in pvp and that covers it. I wouldn't try them in raiding. Instances might be fun with them.

"3. How is the solo-content (leveling/questing) as a druid? And would it be possible to make it through as a resto?"
I've only leveled a druid twice, but I hate early levels (namely 1-10), I know, very small sections, but I mean its sooooooo boring as a druid. Even after that its still boring imo. Though I never even leveled cat, I still did bear just cause of ease. Made doing group quests very easy though, cause I could solo them. However, I don't have much input for this, just to avoid resto leveling of ANY kind in vanilla wow, unless you have a buddy leveling with you, then go right ahead.

"4. Is there just THE ONE skilltree for each specc, or are there some more?"
This to me seems a lot like question 2, but I can see the reason for asking. In most specs and cases, "THE ONE" you find online or however, has usually had some research/experience behind it and tends to suit the role the best. Though for your own preferences, minor tweeks can help. This being the case, experiment as you see fit and you might find something better. However, imo, with the work already done, id stick with the ones you find (with maybe minor tweeks)

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some experienced insight to a long distorted topic (not saying here, but since the games release and throughout forums). Really hope the guy who asked the initial questions sees this before giving up on druid playstyles lol. Though the real answer to all of those questions is a very simple, Play whatever you think you'll have the most fun with, the style you like, its a game. You might find some trouble getting into raids as the choice you want, but I'm hoping Kronos will be filled with experienced players who know more than the forum misconceptions.

Also (though I don't remember if we tried this in retail) the spider boss's web mechanic where you usually have to tanks (one to catch her) could be shapeshifted out of (on the p-server I was on) making her a 1 tank pony.
Quite interesting. Mar'li uses ability called Enveloping Webs that aside from root also silences for 10 seconds so you can't taunt her straight back after as warrior. But since druids can shift out (or powershift) while silenced, they also remove silence as it's one of the components of this particular root, and should be technically able to taunt her back.

Thank you so much for all that, this is really great information. Now that I know for sure druid tanks are much more than very viable for pve, I'm stuck between a sub rogue and druid. Grrrrr >:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom