• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

spamthrottle - block all unwanted messages on all kind of channels

forerun

Authorized
Hello

After a long search and fight it's here - a nice addon created by mister Orukxu

To block low lvl spam and chinese characters messages go there http://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/108132-Psychi-s-WhisperFilter-addon

It's very simple to use you can write you own keywords etc and after the setup all messages with given text inside will be completly blocked. And you can of course completly hide all messages with asian characters in it! What a happines.

Here is orginal github:

https://github.com/Orukxu/SpamThrottle

Use the rightmost button and get current version - Download ZIP. The creator of the addon make updates daily so constantly repacking is rather not necessary.

To use it just write /st on chat and add the nasty word like QQ or smth and you will never see it again.

Remember to properly relog to save the changes and made that filtering permament.

Last edited:
Tested, works as I thought it would.

It doesn't check uppercase/lowercase, so phrase "QQ" bans "qq" as well as any word containing that phrase like "qqtestword", it will not display. It will also not display any message from a player if the player has "qq" in their nickname.
Also you cannot ban any of the characters used by the system, such as "$" or "\" "/". Those are also used in the gold spam, but banning $ will stop displaying any chat messages at all.

So far, it caused no errors with default addons and it seems fully compatible with SCCN (ChatMod for vanilla).

It has one nice function: Block all messsages with chinese characters inside.

55a0f4b369.jpg

After that I don't get any QQ whispers and that's a good thing :)

Sounds like the addon we all need! I have a question however... does it rely on your ignore list? Because if it does, then it's usefulness is badly limited...

No it's just blocking visiblity of the whisper or any other message. To debug and tune it use
a9da022b55.jpg

And then you will get something like that:

a6ceea4c3c.jpg

Or that ^^

354444c4a0.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome then! Getting it right away. Gonna test it myself as well and, if all goes right, I'm gonna propose this for a sticky.

No. Because who is broken and sometimes addon cannot check the level of the player so it's disabled. It can only filter - chinese characters and words inside other words like 'GN QQ3423432423' . Just add QQ with add keyword button and all QQ messages will be filtered out.

Like this maybe

84a963169a.jpg

Last edited:
Remove all SpamThrottle.lua from WTF/ACCOUNT/ and below folders and set up it again.

Ok thanks to Psychi from this forum who write the SuperMacro expansion which give you ability to block all low lvl whispers ( unless they are your friends ) and chinese letters crap.

You need super macro addon to do that. Then take that code from below and paste it in extended lua code.And save it.And let it be there. Thats all.

Code:
local ignoreUntilLvl = 5 
local backup  = ChatFrame_OnEvent;
local hooked = false
local hookedhook = false
local found = false
remove = 0
function ChatFilter(event)
    if event == "CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM" then
        if string.find(arg1,"friend") ~=nil and hooked or hookedhook then
            hookedhook = false
            if string.find(arg1,"already") ~=nil or string.find(arg1,"yourself") ~=nil then
                -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("BACKUP EVENT"..prev)
                arg1 = prevArg1
                arg2 = prevArg2
                arg3 = prevArg3
                backup(prev)
                hooked = false
            else if string.find(arg1,"added to friend") ~= nil and hooked then
                local nameb
                for nameb in string.gfind(arg1, "[^%s]+") do
                    for i=1,GetNumFriends() do
                        local name, level, class, loc, connected, status = GetFriendInfo(i);
                        if level == 0 then
                            break
                        end
                        -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("LEVEL: "..name.." "..level)
                        if nameb == name then
                            -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("LEVEL: "..name.." "..level)
                            if level >= ignoreUntilLvl then        
                                -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("BACKUP EVENT"..prev)
                                arg1 = prevArg1
                                arg2 = prevArg2
                                arg3 = prevArg3
                                backup(prev)
                            end
                            break
                        end
                    end
                    RemoveFriend(nameb)
                    hooked = false
                    hookedhook = true
                    break
                end        
            end end
            return
        end
    end
    if event == "CHAT_MSG_WHISPER" then
        for i=1,GetNumFriends() do
            local name, level, class, loc, connected, status = GetFriendInfo(i);
            if arg2 == name then
                backup(event)
                return
            end
        end
        -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(event.." "..arg1.." "..arg2)
        if string.find(arg1,"[\228-\233]") ~=nil then
            -- DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("found")
            return
        else 
            AddFriend(arg2) 
            prev = event
            prevArg1 = arg1
            prevArg2 = arg2
            prevArg3 = arg3
            setglobal(prev)
            setglobal(prevArg2)
            setglobal(prevArg3)
            hooked = true

end
    else
        backup(event)
    end
end
ChatFrame_OnEvent = ChatFilter

Orginal author thread is there : http://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/107300-Small-useful-LUA-functions

It should look something like that.

50801a6004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all. I'm the author of SpamThrottle.

Based on the comments in this thread, i've made a few updates:

- The Chinese char filter also now looks for the QQ address formatted messages. This is ON by default now (it was previously defaulted to off). No need to add anything to the keyword list for it now.

- Added anti-obfuscation for some letters formed with / and \. I probably haven't got them all yet, but I'll add them as I see them.

Do NOT add short strings to the keyword filter list (like just QQ) because it will then block other legitimate messages. For gold advertisers, I have found that putting the site name as a keyword works, as long as I keep the anti-obfuscation techniques updated.

The changes have been committed to the master Github node, Version 1.9.

Please do let me know of issues, problems, and suggestions in this thread.

@Aurigon: SpamThrottle does not use the ignore list. It has it's own, and it's unlimited.
@Psychi: That's very clever! I might steal some of that for SpamThrottle...

Throw a download link here Mopar! That way we can get the most up-to-date version more easily :smile:

The best place to get it is directly from the Github address, which forerun posted in the top post. I maintain the master version there.

https://github.com/Orukxu/SpamThrottle

To get the current version, click the "Download ZIP" button on the right, which will download a package called SpamThrottle-master.zip. Within that zip file is the SpamThrottle directory. Copy that directory into your Interface/Addons directory to install.

It's better to get addons from master Github sources because the source is open on that platform; anyone can look into the code to make sure nothing nefarious is going on, and also review the change history.

Last edited:
Re: [Addon] SpamThrottle - Chat filtering addon

This addon is great, magnificent and awesome! I'm almost going to spam the chats about it :D

I had to disable fuzzy message filtering, because it filters almost all LFG/WTS messages.

There're also many goldsellers tricks, like using a special characters and spaces etc., which are aimed to avoid the autoignore feature of the addon. If possible, download an addon which allows you to copy things from the chat to add goldsellers' adverts to the blacklist. I used "Website Please enter" filtering instead :D

If the addon is still being developed - I suggest a feature of "half-black" list. There's an option to color messages instead of removing atm, but you either color all "bad" messages or remove all. But it would be nice to color those "fuzzy" LFG/WTS messages but remove the goldselling spam.

Thanks for the super addon!

Thanks for the trick to avoid their tricks. My various oko blocks didn't block all and I knew it had to do something with the amount of hidden spaces they use.

I have updated SpamThrottle to detect the latest trick that the spammers are using.
Download the latest version and you shouldn't see oko any more. (at same Github address above).

Because of the nature of this latest trick, I may have to update it a few more times before it catches all of the permutations, as they adapt to the latest filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally, the issue you are having with fuzzy filtering might be just that SpamThrottle filters duplicated messages by default. So if someone keeps saying LFM BRD, for example, it will show the first one but then filter the rest until 10 minutes have passed.

Check to see if un-ticking "Remove duplicated messages until gap timeout" gives you the result you want. You can always untick "Color messages rather than hiding" to see if it's doing what you want.

It's been a while since i posted in here. I've made several updates to SpamThrottle over the past months. If you are not currently on version 1.11, then you can download it from the Github link: https://www.github.com/Orukxu/SpamThrottle/

What's new are the following:
- SpamThrottle now works properly when you have your chat spread out across multiple windows.
- More gold advertiser anti-obfuscation techniques have been added.
- A new gold advertiser filter has been added. It's optional and can be turned off in the /st menu.

I'm sure that the gold sellers will come up with yet another way to try to get around SpamThrottle (it's an ongoing war) so be sure to check that Github link once in a while to see if you have the latest version. I always update it there.

Updated to version 1.11e. Get it from the official Github source, linked earlier in this thread.
Note that i do update it once every few days to tune the filters to catch the latest gold seller versions. So it's good to check the version once in a while.

SpamThrottle has been updated to version 1.11g. It catches all current gold seller spam.
Always get it from the official site: https://www.github.com/Orukxu/SpamThrottle

- - - Updated - - -

SpamThrottle has been updated to version 1.11g. It catches all current gold seller spam.
Always get it from the official site: https://www.github.com/Orukxu/SpamThrottle

Top Bottom