• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Starting an Enh Shaman. Worth it or waste of time?

Mozi

Hello all,

Just started playing in Kronos a couple of days ago. So far loving it, nostalgia and all & pretty friendly and polite community as well.

When a friend of mine suggested this server my immediate first reaction was "wow I can play my enh shammy again!". However, since now my game-time is severely limited I am having second thoughts on whether it is a wise choice.

Let me first say that I love the fantasy of an 'elemental warrior', a melee fighter that uses the power of the elements to assist him and his allies. I love the shaman armour sets (IMHO they got, if not the best, some of the best sets in the game). And of course, who doesnt love those windfury crits, even if they are the very definition of RNG gameplay.

So with all the above stated, my concerns are the following:
  1. End-game PvE: We all know enh shamans lack dps in raids. Will that lock me out of raiding, unless I roll resto? I dont mind adjusting playstyle to do totem-swapping or throw the occasional heal when the need arises. And nor I am aim of the extra competitive progression raiding. I just hope that I wont get the "respec resto or get the hell out" responses.(I guess Nightfall is still mandatory in any case?)
  2. PvP: with the 1.12 nerfs/fixes to windfury how is the state of Enh PvP? During the last few patches in vanilla was playing on a warrior, so not sure the of the state of shamans at the time.

Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time to read this and, hopefully, respond

1. A guild must be VERY generous to let u play enhancer in raids, if you are allowed, nightfall is a must. If you apply to a new guild saying u only want to dps as enhancer I doubt u will get a spot, especially in later progression, the dps is just not competitive enough.

2. As always it depends on what u are playing against, u will get kited, if u get to a target u have to pray to rngesus. It's a gimmicky spec, either u or ur enemy can get shrekt.

If I'd go dps shaman, I'd go elemental; more competitive in pve and more reliable in pvp.

My advice is, if you like it, play it. Its a game where you should enjoy yourself and not to focus on pleasing others. t1-t2 is no problem with some hybrids in a raid. End game might require the given guild to be done with progress, before giving up on raid setup power, depends on guilds.

I played around a bit on a test realm, with end game gear i was howering at like 800 dps if I remember correctly, without buffs, which I found more than I was expecting

/Maredasan: I tried both in end game gear, was pretty equal as far as dps, both will oom after a while, where enh gets the advantage. And I do believe warriors with WF can cause some trouble in naxx

For pvp, as a mage, I hated them, as annoying as bubble boys. Dueling potential probably still better than warriors

Last edited:
Your advice "if u like it, play it" doesn't properly apply to vanilla, sorry. Some specs simply lack balance, thus making them unwanted. I'm not sure how it is endgame, but we currently have a good geared enhancer & an elemental shaman actively raiding so I can somewhat compare them.

Your advice "if u like it, play it" doesn't properly apply to vanilla, sorry. Some specs simply lack balance, thus making them unwanted. I'm not sure how it is endgame, but we currently have a good geared enhancer & an elemental shaman actively raiding so I can somewhat compare them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92brhr5-TK4

Bloodskull is a ED enhan player who plays shammy with a balanced set, going for int, sp, sta, and a bit of AP. Since you got a lot of ranged pressure, must as well balance for that. Enhan shammy should not be played as a rng spec. You'll get kited, you'll get killed and teabagged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuhUUHhlmH8

Same drift, old vanilla video with a balanced setup. You have too many spells to gear for full glass cannon. Shaman isn't about burst, because your burst is unreliable. Shaman is about overlasting your opponent, at least in the way i see it.

I can't vouch for PvE shammy, i have no experience with vanilla wow. But i've seen some players making it work in pvp, without the need to rely completely in Windfury. Against melee specs, you go shield/onehander. Against casters, you go 2h WF. Use shocks, heal yourself. Don't rely on 100-0s.

Thanks for the replies both of you.
If I am getting this right, it boils down to the following(?):
  • if you want to do the currently latest content (as of now BWL) you must be resto. Possible to raid as enh if you have pre-BWL BiS, nightfall and an above average player (but even then a big if)
  • if raiding content that predates the currently end-game raids and/or more casually, guilds/groups might be a bit more accomodating

Thanks for the replies both of you.
If I am getting this right, it boils down to the following(?):
  • if you want to do the currently latest content (as of now BWL) you must be resto. Possible to raid as enh if you have pre-BWL BiS, nightfall and an above average player (but even then a big if)
  • if raiding content that predates the currently end-game raids and/or more casually, guilds/groups might be a bit more accomodating

Pretty much yeah. Especially during progression I'd say, when everything is on farm it doesn't matter that much anymore.

Pretty much yeah. Especially during progression I'd say, when everything is on farm it doesn't matter that much anymore.

That is fair enough, I suppose. Cant' realistically expect a sub-optimal build in a progression raid when every little detail matters.

My advice is, if you like it, play it. Its a game where you should enjoy yourself and not to focus on pleasing others.

Playing certain specs in vanilla will make all those angry nerds around hate on you and spit on you on sight. But if you're a dedicated player you can play whatever you want (am I right Ermean?). You'll be able to find a guild who accepts you. You probably wont have priority on certain items, but still it's possible to raid in a softcore guild even with non-ordinay spec.

- A happy shadow priest

Last edited:
I personally know one raiding ench shammy on Kronos. That guild was not in BWL yet through. I'd tried if I were you :)

Thank you all for your replies. I decided to go for it and 'invest' on leveling my shaman. In the end I cannot resist to the fantasy of the class/spec and the (what are to me) the most beautiful armour sets in the game ;P

See in you Azeroth and may the elements guide you!

You will find that suitable gear is hard to come by.
Warrior + Windfury Totem > Shaman + Windfury Weapon

EDIT: Okay, then good luck on your journey man. Even though I am not fond of carrying extra weight in raids I support everyone who simply goes their own way no matter what.

Top Bottom