• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Stuttering in game

joyman

Authorized
Hello guys. I don't know if this is the right place, but want to ask if anyone else is experience microstuttering in the game? I have radeon r9 290 with omega drivers so perhaps it is me. I am using other client, but tested with kronos one - same thing. It is more eviden when people are jumping arround - in one moment they are in one place, then in somewhere forward - it is not fluid, but separated which if I am not mistaken is told (micro)stuttering. It is really annoing and I would like to solve it somehow.

I'm on a Nvidia 780 here and i can't say that i have seen any microstuttering, i assume you updated your drivers etc? I've had two ATI cards back in the days and they both had this issue so i never touched ATI again. Tho i figured it would be fixed by now :eek:.

Tried changing some of the the graphics settings to see if there is any difference?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4210122218 (this is for Diablo but maybe it can solve your problem aswell)

Hello guys. I don't know if this is the right place, but want to ask if anyone else is experience microstuttering in the game? I have radeon r9 290 with omega drivers so perhaps it is me. I am using other client, but tested with kronos one - same thing. It is more eviden when people are jumping arround - in one moment they are in one place, then in somewhere forward - it is not fluid, but separated which if I am not mistaken is told (micro)stuttering. It is really annoing and I would like to solve it somehow.
Yeah i believe i know what is the reason. Because your GPU is an overkill of this game it doesn't throttle to full speed. It hangs with desktop clock. I have this problem as well even with 7870. I have to turn off vsync because with displaying only 60 fps the game is not strong enough to make my gpu go full throttle and then it just keeps throttling between desktop clock and game clock (it constantly declocks and clocks back and forth).
The only way you will force WoW to make use of your GPU is to use strong AA. Like supersampling or insane amount of MS but before you do that turn off vsync and see whether game will force gpu to show enough frames to keep it working at it's designed clock speed.
PS: Unlike Nvidia we don't have an option to set "always be at max performance" unfortunately. That's why the guy with nvidia gpu 970 has no problems unlike you and i.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately changing settings, including V-Sync -On/Off doesn't change a thing. There is stutter even when on default settings - and it looks appalling lol. I am on a 2560x1440 and all is set to maximum. I remember on 1920x1080 the GPU was max on 600mhz, but I haven't check it with gpu-z - will do tonight. I remember when I played a lil bit on dispersion-wow(westfall realm) there were glitches with catalyst 14.8 and I added some dll file for d3d for older games. But then I stopped playing vanilla and had no issues with WOTLK (dalaran-wow) so then updated the driver with the Omega. I should say that the glitches were different - just some random flashing parts of the sky/land and such, no stuttering. But will check again for this file and see if it helps.
BTW you can stop powerplay from MSI Afterburner and it will make your card to use higher clocks, so perhaps it can be useful for your scenario Johnny.

Last edited:
BTW you can stop powerplay from MSI Afterburner and it will make your card to use higher clocks, so perhaps it can be useful for your scenario Johnny.
Believe me man i tried that. Nothing works. GPU If it doesn't need to be loaded it will just throttle back to lower clocks to save energy. I tried everything telling it not to throttle back while in game and such but nothing helps. That's the problem you have as well. Use catalyst or radeonpro and bump that AA to the max and ull see that u wont get any microstutter since gpu isnt throttling back and forth. Doesn't matter if you bump everything on max in WoW because as i said wow is today very very light software for PC. Especially on that grade hardware. Throttling of the GPU back and forth causes microstutters.

My personal experience with my HD5850 and vanilla client is: if i have Chrome open the game will microstutter when i close Chrome its back to smooth gameplay so you can try closing broswer if you have some opened when playin wow. Maybe this will help you :)

Unfortunately non of this is working. If I force 8xAA even on 2560x1440 all maxed out core is below 900mhz and stuttering is there. I don't know if this is the culprit, but still I am reporting it. I am using firefox and with or without it running - no change. V-Sync - On/Off/Dynamic from RadeonPro - no change... It so frustrating, perhaps I should try 14.1 driver and see how it fares.
Confirmed this in TBC client also, interesting though in WOTLK it is not observed. Strange...

Last edited:
Unfortunately non of this is working. If I force 8xAA even on 2560x1440 all maxed out core is below 900mhz and stuttering is there. I don't know if this is the culprit, but still I am reporting it. I am using firefox and with or without it running - no change. V-Sync - On/Off/Dynamic from RadeonPro - no change... It so frustrating, perhaps I should try 14.1 driver and see how it fares.
Confirmed this in TBC client also, interesting though in WOTLK it is not observed. Strange...
You use in game AA or inject it with radeon pro?

Have you tried playing in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode?
Yep, no effect.

You use in game AA or inject it with radeon pro?
I don't know what menu is AA in game, but tried with radeon pro - nothing different.

I also tried driver 14.1.6 beta - no effect. Will try older one too tomorrow.

Edit: Tried 13.12 - no change. It seems it is not driver issue. Will try absolute maximum of settings to force gpu to be max clock - but doubt will help, because in WOTLK it is still about 600mhz and game is fluid.

Edit2: No friggin change with all possible settings on max with radeon pro... WTF, really getting on my nerves.

Last edited:
Yep, no effect.

I don't know what menu is AA in game, but tried with radeon pro - nothing different.

I also tried driver 14.1.6 beta - no effect. Will try older one too tomorrow.

Edit: Tried 13.12 - no change. It seems it is not driver issue. Will try absolute maximum of settings to force gpu to be max clock - but doubt will help, because in WOTLK it is still about 600mhz and game is fluid.

Edit2: No friggin change with all possible settings on max with radeon pro... WTF, really getting on my nerves.
Perhaps... The game is too old for that GPU. Have you tried running it in compatability mode?

Just want to add, for the record, that I´m running WoW in fullscreen mode on a Radeon r9 290 without any problem. :yes:

Im with Nvidia Gforce 9600 gt 512(i know its old...) and dont any problem with wow...tbc,cata etc. :smile:

Ye.. nvidia - just tried GTX295 - same bloody shit. So its seems not GPU related. Thx for the help guys.
that's odd, whenever i can't figure it out on my own i just reinstall windows it usually helps :smile:

Yep - I am leaning to it, still I hate that bloody chore, but seems its the only option left. Will do it in the near future - I got one week to do it lol. I hope it will help or I will go mad :wacko:

Just to make sure I know your problem correctly, is the entire game freezing up for a split second, or is it just character movement that skips along?

I personally found vanilla wow has a weird issue with frame rate, if I run wow with no other programs running in the background, my fps is capped to 64, if however I run chrome or teamspeak (TS works better) in the background, the fps become unlocked/variable. I don't don't know if this has anything in relation to the problem you are having, but I thought I would share it.

Last edited:
No, no freezing or anything - just characters or some npcs movement is not smooth. And this is very heavy when chars jump around or are moving with fast mounts. Tonight I will make a movie to show, because my english is not good.

I've seen some stuttering on npc and other players, especially on mounts. This was something Kronos advertise as fixed, but sadly isnt.
I did report ALOT of stuttering in Westfall though, https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=4731, but it turns out it was my new addon Questie that caused it. It is suppose to be like Questhelper addon but for Vanilla, its a really cool idea and worked well in Elwynn Forest, but when lots of nodes was placed on the Westfall map it started to stutter like crazy, and looking at questitems in my bag also caused lots of stutter. I use version 0.9 of that addon still, and its fairly new and can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/comments/2ybw20/vanilla_addon_questie/
Great idea but I warn you about the stuttering which I narrowed down to being caused by this addon.

Why do you think this is graphics related? This is a connection issue, but not yours. Those players you saw stuttering have the issue and appaear this way to you.

Are you certain that this is on their end? Because this is like all players I saw infront of Orgrimmar and Ironforge in the last week. I am not so sure that its just lag. Today I tried it in Linux - same shit...

Top Bottom