• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Stuttering in game

I have this issue, except it doesn't seem to be limited to players. There's a very subtle micro-stutter in the way the camera moves for me and my computer is well over the specs required for this kinda game. gtx 980 gpu for instance. Changing the settings whichever way doesn't seem to remove it, which is rather unfortunate

I just recorded a movie showing the stutterings that are plaguing a big chunk of 1.12.1 community. I tried several systems, tons of videocards and settings, its apparently not client side and it's not related to other people latency, since you can see how things are passing by in a very choppy way.

More of it, if you turn your character with the mouse, you will see the choppy movement, like its losing frames. It's not related to vsync either, since the character seems to lose frames even if you have 150-200 fps with vsync turned off.

@Chero: Could it be the old timestamp mangos problem that nobody fixed so far? It was present on Nostalrius too, but a bit less noticeable then here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MwKY7g3y0&feature=youtu.be

So, in the first part, you're basically showing how your own character has choppy movement when you TURN. In other words, this. That is not a bug, client or server side, that's a feature and that's how WoW appeared in 2006 and earlier.
You see, every time a character in a game does something, attack, move, laugh, the game uses a set of pre-defined moves to perform the animation. For simplicity, I'll give you an example with 2D animations. The animation itself consists of static images - frames. The more images you use, the smoother the animation will appear. For example, here's a random stick fight gif:

stick.gif

You can clearly see how the movements are choppy. That's because the author didn't use enough images to make the animation. Now, here's a video from a different author:

[video=youtube;MdzHpr-QZhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdzHpr-QZhw[/video]

Much smoother moves, right? The author used more images to create the moves, more frames. Vanilla WoW does not use 60 or more moves to perform any given animation, therefore your movement in WoW will be choppy. Especially turning your character, since there is no given animation to turn your character, other than the one seen in the video.

---

Next, in your video you show us how other players movement is choppy - you can see a guy freeze momentarily in mid-air before landing on the ground, another guy briefly cancels his running animation and then starts running normally again, etc. This is also intended behavior and there's nothing you can do to fix it. As Chero already explained, this happens because you are playing with people from all around the world.

At each server "tick", or in 2006 blizzlike terms, every 400ms, the server tries to calculate the exact position of each player and NPC, along with other stuff like spells, pathfinding, fear movement, etc. etc.

To put it in very simple terms, your client writes "hey I'm at X Y Z in Tirisfal Glades", puts this note in an envelope and sends it to the server (Kronos, Nost, other server, it's the same thing). Your ping is the time it takes to communicate with the server from your PC, so if your ping is 105ms, it will take 105ms before the server opens the envelope and sees "hmm, okay, Kha is at X Y Z". Simultaneously, server knows you can see up to 80 yards away, so you can see player A, B, C, D, along with a couple of NPCs. Simultaneously, the same thing has to happen with players A, B, C, D and every NPC you can see, the server updates their location and has to send these locations to all the clients again. All of this must happen within 400ms, so there's your first issue. Your envelope will make it and the server's response will make it back to you in 210ms, but if someone's ping is 200ms or higher, his envelope will make it, but server's envelope will be late.

Now let's say player A uses wifi to connect, and a big metal truck drives next to his house at the moment his PC wants to send player A's position. The truck disrupts his connectivity and this envelope is lost on the way. So the server received position from Kha, from B, C, D and his NPCs, but didn't receive position from A, 'coz fkin truck. Now the server does not know the exact location of A. Server tries to calculate where should he be from his previous movement envelopes. Next server tick, the truck no longer disrupts the wifi at player A, his location comes properly from A, and server find out his calculation was a bit off = choppy movement happens, player might even teleport a bit. There's your second issue.

---

Now some real talk.
You can solve the first issue, you have to hack your wow client and create NEW movement animations, import them into your .MPQ files, crack the wow.exe protection and play with this modified client. Have fun.
To solve the second issue, all the people playing on Kronos have to move to Sweden to live in a big LAN PARTY gathering and play wow there.

So, in the first part, you're basically showing how your own character has choppy movement when you TURN. In other words, this. That is not a bug, client or server side, that's a feature and that's how WoW appeared in 2006 and earlier.

1 - There was never such choppiness at character turning on live in 2005-2006.
2 - Some players don't have this choppy movement at all, as a matter of fact I saw it with my very own eyes at my nephew's pc which is a very old dual core and its perfectly smooth.
3 - It's a mangos issue, widely aknowledged by many devs, yet never fixed.

1 - Chero posted you video links from retail, where it is choppy as well.
2 - Yes, because the movement is already smooth, but due to people connecting from all over the world to one place, you will see laggy people. It has nothing to do with your PC specs or even server specs.
3 - The widely acknowledged issue is fixed. See here.

I'll say what I said in another topic. I also experience choppy movement, mostly when people are running around mounted or using high speed such as rogue sprinting, but the choppiness is only present on live realm. The movement is smooth on the test realm.

I believe it's still a problem at Kronos III. It seems developers mitigated a lot of it, but still it's not blizzlike (60 FPS, 70ms in game latency). NPCs move absolutely smooth. See:
this movie was actually captured on different server, but the same is happening on Kronos III. Watch the paladin at 2:07:37. He loots something, then turns around and then he lags twice. Also the mage running after him does the same, too. It's not their latency.

Another interesing post, hard to find:
Video is again not from K3, but situation on K3 is the same as on Light's Hope (based on Nostalrius/Elysium core) as seen in the first third of the video. Warmane TBC sample in the video seems totally smooth for comparison. If you didn't find the stuttering in the example, then look again. Set time to 0:03 in the video and play it. At 0:05 the orc lags twice in a row. Of course, the NPC movement is calculated properly and is smooth.

This problem is very old and there was much more stuttering in the past, but it's still not 100% blizzlike, and probably never will be that way. Antrix/Ascent/ArcEmu code eliminated a lot of stuttering, but is not 100% smooth, too. Nowadays, ArcEmu and vmangos (~Light's Hope, K3) is comparable to each other, they all lack something to create precise movement.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm playing K3 on a laptop with GTX 1080, 32GB ram and a 1TB SSD, using an external 144hz monitor with g-sync. What I can tell you is:

• G-sync and vanilla do not go well together. In fact, the game ran terribly on g-sync and I switched it off specifically for the 1.12.1 client.
  • If you want the smoothest possible framerate, your best bet is to lock your fps with an app like RivaTuner to 64. Try it.
  • It's a really old game so don't expect flawless performance on every pc configuration. My laptop's screen itself is 120hz g-sync and for some reason provides a smoother framerate, but on the external 144hz g-sync monitor it behaves worse (both screens are 1080p). I suspect this happens mainly because I run a youtube video on the laptop monitor and thus two monitors have to run at different refresh rates (one with g-sync on and the other off), on the same GPU. If I exclusively run wow on the second monitor, it's almost perfectly smooth.
  • For choppy movements of other players, there is nothing you can do outside of having a very good connection for yourself - though that will not fix the worse connections of others.

So far, the best thing I could do was lock fps to 64 and turn g-sync and v-sync off. That way, you don't lose any animations and it has been quite stable for me. Regardless, I still get little "chops" in framerate every now and then. While Overwatch can run at stable 144hz with g-sync on the same machine and run like smooth butter.

Expect better results when Classic Wow comes out, based on the modern game client.

Last edited:
Top Bottom