• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Torn between lock and druid

ChaosIncarnate

Hey, I'm looking to start fresh on this server and looking forward to play on the Alliance side since I didn't experience it back in the day, just horde in TBC.
With that being said I'm a little torn between druid and warlock. While the class that appeals to me the most is warlock, the soulshard-farm-thing off-puts me a little and the way I want to play this is to experience most of the world and dungeons til 60 and then I'll figure what to do, this is where druid comes into play. I assume that Druid is more on demand than lock and I'd get groups more easily as tank/healer while leveling.

I read a lot about how both classes are a bit of an underdog and that's alright by me, I don't care about min maxing shit and when it comes to PvE my experience from bc to WoD should be more than enough to prove my worth. The thing is, I'm a little concerned that since Druid is regarded so poorly even as a healer that I'd have to compete with 2-3 other guys for a raid spot so to speak because people would rather fill the healing spot with priests.
As for warlock what concerns me the most is not being able to do dungeons while leveling since DPS might not be so much on demand.

So, basically what I want to know is, which of these 2 classes would be more valuable on the alliance side and if:
A- as druid, will I have trouble raiding even as a healer?
B- as lock, will I be able to join easily on group leveling content?

Thanks and looking forward to play :)

Last edited:
A: No, I don't think you will. Even enhancement shamans can get raid spots with some guilds if they gear well and tryhard enough. And another combat ress is always welcome :)

B: I can't speak for allies but on Horde side I don't feel like people even care about class (only role (healer, dps, tank) matters) when making groups for low lvl instances. Being able to summon a tank or healer for your party or supplying resser with soulstone (especially on ally side!) shouldn't be underestimated.

I think the most important thing is that you pick the class you really want to play since you will regret not doing so. Don't let things like having to grind soulshards or to pay plate repairs affect your decision too much since they are, in the long run, minor things.

Thank you! That's really good information.
I do assume however that a Lock's endgame will be slightly harder than a Druid's right? Since they have to compete with Mages and Priests for gear and they are two very popular picks, or is it actually rather easy to raid consistently as warlock?

Last edited:
Start with a lock and raid. When you have time in between, level alts, like e.g. the druid

- - - Updated - - -

Ah and except for a few core items, for which you have to compete with mages, you can gear a lock relatively easy.

Those items are e.g. amulet of veknilash, cloak, gloves and belt from cthun (ring item drops each week, so just a matter of time), neltharion's tear. The token for the weapon from aq40 also drops frequently and mages would rather go for staff of shadowflame/visci sword+oh

Yea I'm starting to realise I better stick with lock.
Just curious, if you get a Bear Druid well optimized for raid tanking (off-tanking) is it still a big "nope"? Or they can actually manage it and find groups?

Last edited:
If you want to dps go with warlock. If you want to heal go with druid. Both are the least played classes on alliance (druid 8.1%, lock 10.1% with priest being close 3rd(10.2%)). Both classes are highly desirable in raids. Druids for decurse and healing. Warlock for summons, soulstounes and general raid utility.
I'm going to put it straight to you. If you pick druid you are going to heal. Maybe you can get away with being cat or boomkin if you are lucky. You are definitely not going to tank as warriors are the most abundant class (19.3%) and they are just better at tanking than any other class in vanilla. I'm not saying druids can not tank. I'm just 99% certain than no one will even be willing to let you try.

A- as druid, will I have trouble raiding even as a healer?
B- as lock, will I be able to join easily on group leveling content?

A. That entirely depends on your guild, if you desire restoration then its benefits are sustained heals and the T3 set which every guild eventually will want at least 1-3 resto druids to have in Naxxramas for the health bonus. A restoration Druid simply put takes a long time to fully exhaust for mana. A feral druid however would only be selected as tank and they perform quite decently. A Boomkin most have a bias against due to lacking knowledge and assuming things but in a group of warlock/mage/shaman it adds an estimate 12-25 dps to each of them depending on equipment.

B. Lock's can do so yes however there will always be a higher demand for a healer or tank. Warlock dps are not to be underestimated and in theorycrafting are the class which can achieve the highest damage however in reality due to debuff cap they will fight over the #1 spot with mages quite commonly.

note: in the end it will depend on the group/guild you join as 1.12.1 had quite some good balance among specs some being biased or underestimated but back in the day you could even be competitive with a "Pimp my Imp" build in non-fire resistance areas of course or as Discipline DPS yes even those builds where competitive to some degree of course all builds have their ups and downs but i hope the above explains most. Oh and btw if you aim to play alliance i would advice you to learn the basic alliance tactics (Beg, Pray, Cry, Run, Hide) master those and you can call yourself an Alliance.

Top Bottom