• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Vanilla Fansite [work in progres]

Wind

Hello to everyone !

I'm here today in order to introduce this fresh new site on wich I'm working. Needless to say that Vanilla is getting old and most of websites referencing 1.12.1 datas are a tiny handful and it is more about items and a lot of informations are dispatched.

So my first aim is to create a decent base and improve its appearance then I'll try gathering as much informations as possible. I will take my time and there is a chance that this project could officially be launched before Kronos or near after.

I think this could be an interesting virtual meeting point between all Vanilla fans wishing to know everything about this version of World of Warcraft in one unique place. It will be obviously possible to contribute and share your knowledge of the game since my pace could be kinda slow alone.

Actually the site is still in its embryonic stages but I want to give you the link of this one anyway so you guys could see its evolution and maybe participate a bit if you wish and have enough time to make something.

http://vanilla.xooit.info/index.php

Steps for the creation of the Vanilla website

■ 1st Step : Homepage

[08/31/14] : Project unofficialy launched
[09/01/14] : Categories created
[09/04/14] : Colour palette applied
[09/05/14] : Structure slightly improved
[09/06/14] : Design improved
[09/08/14] : Jukebox completed
[09/11/14] : New maximise & minimise system
[09/12/14] : New banner, forum background, wallpaper and navigation bar reworked.
[...]

Last edited:
visited and looks decent so i will drop some feedback from time to time, heres a bit:

hower/fade menu: your navigation menu at the top needs hower and fade function where buttons light up and needs to be written in english ([CR]Rechercher[/CR] = Researcher), ([CR]S'Endregistrer[/CR] = Register), ([CR]Connexion[/CR] = Connection):

Allow players to chat as anonymous, or to register with IP for temp choosen name rather than long register for a such a site :smile:

Last edited:
It is planned, this navigation bar is the one from the first template I chose, it is going to change and dynamic effects will be added.

also, i guess your site will loose to twinstars since it has more, the only thing twinstar is missing the the chat option you have.

Twinstars does not have the same aim, they're doing private servers, not guides for everything related to Vanilla. Also community is helping for the rest but it has always been a bit draft.

Keep in mind that my site will change a lot, what you can actually see is far to be a final version :biggrin:

yes but you are forgetting that this is the primary spot players will go to get information since all links are here, their own login. the only ones who will come to your site however is a mix of everyone who plays vanilla but only those where the servers own forum isnt active enough or they just are too active.

and then the fact that your site requires registration info which people arent happy about unless it actually has a purpose not just being able to use the chat and reply to posts.

tip: you should use the RSS feed information from other vanilla sites to collect a vast amount of threads to keep the site active.

I understand but this is not only for Kronos community. Yes all links will be maybe here but are they going to be easier to find and better than what I will propose ? I don't know neither but for example Feenix is famous, they have a thousand links and a lot are lost in the mass, also a lot is not interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

So you can expect from me something more meticulous and entirely focused on instinctive navigation and quality content.

Let's not bury our heads in the sand, it is impossible to do something good and attractive within a week except if you have a team.

Ha, by the way you described it, it sounded like you were attempting a wiki/database :D. since there really isnt a decent one that has complete information. Dont get me wrong...wowhead, wikia etc are still helpful...its just it would be nice to have a working, reliable one just for vanilla.

So it seems like you are attempting another forum board? It looks quite good at the moment for what it is. I guess my concern is how will you attempt to create a forum that just comprises of useful information? Sure you can post dungeon guides, profession guides etc. But what if for example I wish to know the location of the quest giver for quest #4556...Are you aiming for that sort of information to be available?

Edit: Small thing that isnt really important, just thought i would point it out. It would be nice to have the REGISTER closer to the LOGIN button

Ha, by the way you described it, it sounded like you were attempting a wiki/database :D. since there really isnt a decent one that has complete information. Dont get me wrong...wowhead, wikia etc are still helpful...its just it would be nice to have a working, reliable one just for vanilla.

Indeed, as I said informations are dispatched and there isn't any complete and working site for this version of the game.

So it seems like you are attempting another forum board? It looks quite good at the moment for what it is. I guess my concern is how will you attempt to create a forum that just comprises of useful information? Sure you can post dungeon guides, profession guides etc. But what if for example I wish to know the location of the quest giver for quest #4556...Are you aiming for that sort of information to be available?

I think that I'll add in my guides a link over the names of NPC so when someone will click on it then he/she will be redirected to a working database showing all possible locations. I am not able to create my own database but it's still possible to use intelligently the existing ones atleast to avoid some waste of time.

Edit: Small thing that isnt really important, just thought i would point it out. It would be nice to have the REGISTER closer to the LOGIN button

I made it in another way so you can't see login button when you're already logged and vice versa. Shouldn't be really disturbing :whistling:

just a thought: why not show what you can do and try to get in as web-dev for the kronos team so you can edit and improve information on their twinhead to be accurate and include map + coordination marker for all nps and quests 1 by 1 ?

far better chances of success than your current project plans and it would benefit the server :smile:

To the wowhead-like DB - Twinhead is exactly it. It contains Quests, NPCs, items, etc.. Right from Server DB. Players, testers and Devs have been working on it for nearly 4 years to make it as blizzlike as possible. Only few things are not showed here, for example NPCs spawned via script.

To the twinhead administration - Values that it contains are gathered from servers. So you must be Dev of that server to be able to change them. The rest (graphics and other features) is up to twinstar webmasters.

In my opinion, good vanilla wiki, which would contain info about Vanilla servers and vanilla content is the only web that our community is curently missing.

@cr0wL0ck : You look like a bird of ill omen :shifty:

I'm not trying to join TwinStar team because I don't know them enough and I prefer waiting for their server to be launched in order to judge its quality. Kronos will be the first server from this team that I'll try, it looks undeniably promising but its success is not yet assured.

The only thing I'm sure about is my passion for Vanilla and if my project fails it will be at least helpful for me.

@Aieris : Twinhead is like WoWHead so you don't have informations as much detailed as a guide could be. I'm used to using Database from time to time during my leveling but I was stuck sometimes because of lack of informations or some inherent problems on failing private servers.

I'm also planning to add a list of Vanilla servers and comment them. People will also be able to add their own server in the list with a dynamic image and a link that will be shown as a scrolling message in the homepage.

Last edited:
yeah, i cannot deny being seen as an ill omen, atleast not in the eyes of screaming gnomes when i drain their souls :wink:.

not saying to devote 100% to them, if they turn out to be worse than ED then i am going elsewhere but atm i am dedicated since i think they have potential and since it seems they work hard i want to do what i can since when it launches i will be leveling and not making addons or such obv.

+ do not underestimate wowhead :biggrin:
you can pinpoint a map with coordinates and add a green comment if high enough ranked that players then could read.

note: bet you cannot guess what class and race i usually play :wink:

I guess you're gonna play something like a Warlock or a Shadow Priest :rolleyes2:

:blink: we got a psychic web-admin in the room :wink:

note: no not me, i am not psychic :wink:

I'm now working on list of private servers, just added the ones from Feenix. I think I'll also add a button to the right for those wishing to add their server that aren't in the list since I am going to enter the best known firstly.

you should add "launch date" information as well as horde/alliance players online on the servers atm

for all the servers you add :smile:

you can just link to the site and manually guide to the horde/alliance online numbers

Ok I see, maybe I have an idea for that like adding an icon close to the banner in order to see the population of each realms but it will takes a lot of time. In my to do list !

decent design, but it feels as if its turning in the direction of a common guild web-site looking at the design.

i actually thought of something which would make your site rather popular.

addon library similar to curse or wowinterface, but with a collection of all existing addons for 1.12.1 sorted by type, purpose, and a decent search feature similar to wowhead perhaps.

AddOn Library is a good idea, with the Vanilla private servers list this could be more attractive and unique. Fact is that I've no idea about the way I could implement this library since it is impressive and going to overload the homepage.

Maybe I'll add a portal.

Top Bottom