• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Mage Vanilla Mage PVP - Legacy

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=235593

Soul link lock when played well is the strongest class in vanilla 1v1. Insanely high resistances, insanely high hp, huge mana pool, and the edgiest class in the online roleplaying sensation, world of warcraft.

Really not a great spec for WSG though.

This isn't even a good warlock, but hey who was back then. You are right though, for anyone who fought a Soul Link (not destro build, its very different for those of you who don't know the difference) warlock with 6k hp, good luck killing him.

I'd love to see some really good Soul Link locks go up against super geared Rogues. I think a well geared Rogue should counter a lock but not entirely sure, it'd be pretty tough for the Rogue if you had Void had and double sacrifice.

Edit: The video does bring back some memories of chain killing with SL lock, 2-3 at a time, several fights before you needed to eat/drink. The damage you can do just with Immolate, Corruption, Agony, Shadowburn is insane (though he doesn't have Shadowburn in the video).

Last edited:
Even if Warlocks were only classes that could counter Frost Mages, my point here was that the amount(or lack) of skill required to play Frost Mages was so low that people who excelled at being frost mages found their pvp skills to be useless in upcoming expansions.

And this is true! Most of the "vanilla wow" fans who hated other expansions were the ones who played mages and had easy time killing others. I know lot of such examples(persons).

P.S. It is a myth that Vurtne or Otherguy left World of Warcraft because Wrath of the Lich King sucked. It sucked for them for sure, because they could not easily kill others any more.

Last edited:
I had the most troubles vs shadowpriests as frost. Dont know how much gear affects it, but with blue gear, where you dont one shot, its nearly impossible to beat them

I had the most troubles vs shadowpriests as frost. Dont know how much gear affects it, but with blue gear, where you dont one shot, its nearly impossible to beat them

Shadow Priests were tough sure. But in general you could easily counter Shield by polymorphing and removing shield by frostbolt, then polymorphing again.

I still think that amount of skill required for mages to beat others was not high as for example for hunters(who relied on good usage of traps and etc.). And also, the playstyle changed drastically:

For example Warriors were same reckless beasts in any expansion - Charge+Harmstring+Mortal Strike(Or Bloodthirst) and hope for crits.

On the other hand, Mages had to adjust to the fact that melee classes would "build houses on them" and there would be no way to kite them.

I played mage from vanilla to wotlk and they are still very strong in WOTLK but theres a totally different playstyle.

I played mage from vanilla to wotlk and they are still very strong in WOTLK but theres a totally different playstyle.

Did you play them in Pandaria? There is no way to kite anyone there. But problem is there are so many interrupts that you rely on instant cast spells mostly. As warlock you automatically regenerate health while you do damage, same with any other class except Mages. Mages were given another bandage(HP regeneration on Evocation) which drastically reduces their dps.

If you want to have easy life, just have Arms warrior, charge, push every button possible and hope for the best. If you die, you want ruin your nervous system at least. :D

He will change his mind once he meets good

survival, bm or mm hunters (any)
shadow, disci or tri-spec priests (no holy)
seduce, sl or SM/ruin lock (any)
hemo rogues
feral/resto druids
reckoning paladins
enha/ele shamans

I won't bother going into detail here, but reading most of the thread I suppose OPs vanilla knowledge is rather limited or maybe even only based on videos.

hemo rogues
feral/resto druids
reckoning paladins
enha/ele shamans

I won't bother going into detail here, but reading most of the thread I suppose OPs vanilla knowledge is rather limited or maybe even only based on videos.

At first, do you think I have seen only mage videos? And also - My main character in Vanilla was actually Discipline Priest. I started playing mage after TBC.

Also, even though Frost Mages were OP in world pvp(and not in BG-s), all I meant was that skill requirement for them very very low. And what I meant to say that because skill req was low for Mages in Vanilla and TBC, people who played mage either rerolled or stopped playing WoW alltogether.

This is what happened to Otherguy and Vurtne. My friend who was very good Frost Mage player, left WoW because he could not kill anyone after Wotlk came out. Good thing he didn't check Pandaria out, the skill requirement was through the roof compared to Vanilla and TBC skill requirement. Warriors stayed the same for example.

Frost Mages were OP in world pvp(and not in BG-s)

lol

skill req was low for Mages in TBC

Yes, so easy.. 2.2k+ on AT was just overpopulated by mages ........... no.

My friend who was very good Frost Mage player, left WoW because he could not kill anyone after Wotlk came out

Mage was I believe at its best balance at late wotlk mostly s7 (let it be 2v2s, duels, whatever)
Your friend was probably not Flýn for example was he.

Oh no I cant kill anyone, stupid class and stupid expansion!!1!!11

Thing is while as overgeared pom mage your single dmg is high , you are also a glasscannon

This is what happened to Otherguy and Vurtne. My friend who was very good Frost Mage player, left WoW because he could not kill anyone after Wotlk came out. Good thing he didn't check Pandaria out, the skill requirement was through the roof compared to Vanilla and TBC skill requirement. Warriors stayed the same for example.

Well you talk like you know them, for me the reason to stop was because they killed open world pvp.
And you could not really pvp in pve gear.

I liked raiding and pvp but all of a sudden i had to invest twice ad much time in order to get gear.

What im trying to say is that its just something you think why they left, and saying that they could'nt kill easy anymore is complete bullshit because a skilled pvper doest get a kick out of dueling low skilled players, they rather fight skilled pvpers.

For one, I'm fairly certain Vurtne and such did not leave because "playing a mage was becoming too hard"
The game got revamped to a level in which a lot of players lost sight of the fundamentals that made the game what it used to be.

Aside from that, I don't know what you're on about.
I've played a Frost Mage from Cataclysm til MoP and they were probably the best ranged class I've played, even then.

Sounds like you need to step your game up and find ways to play your class properly so you don't "always get owned, always"
Sorry if Im seeming negative, but I am being negative.

Just go watch Grim's video... He literally destroys a 5k AQ40/naxx geared SL warlock in a matter of seconds without taking any damage.

Evisceraping is fun.

hemo rogues
feral/resto druids
reckoning paladins
enha/ele shamans

I won't bother going into detail here, but reading most of the thread I suppose OPs vanilla knowledge is rather limited or maybebe even only based on videos.

I agree with most of this except marks/surv hunter. Front nova and stand in there 5-7 no melee no ranged zone. Shatter will crit, cone of cold then fire blast. Cold snap, repeat. If they do scatter shot, ice block. Beast master is a 2 min version of the 3 min mage. Battle will go either way if both cd are up.

This isn't even a good warlock, but hey who was back then. You are right though, for anyone who fought a Soul Link (not destro build, its very different for those of you who don't know the difference) warlock with 6k hp, good luck killing him.

I'd love to see some really good Soul Link locks go up against super geared Rogues. I think a well geared Rogue should counter a lock but not entirely sure, it'd be pretty tough for the Rogue if you had Void had and double sacrifice.

Edit: The video does bring back some memories of chain killing with SL lock, 2-3 at a time, several fights before you needed to eat/drink. The damage you can do just with Immolate, Corruption, Agony, Shadowburn is insane (though he doesn't have Shadowburn in the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjkqjTTdMYo
@5:05

Grim vs T2,5 SL Lock.
He does have Shadow Reflector Trinket.. and not sure how good of a Lock that is but from my expierence Rogues can beat any class/spec 1v1 if they play it right. Blowing a lot of CDs ofcourse and being Undead in this case vs. Lock isnt anything to sneeze at either.

I do wanna point out, Rogues' spec is Combat Swords here.
Quite unusual.

I've always wondered why people are so obsessed with Mage in Vanilla when a well played Soul Link Warlock is probably the most powerful single class overall and extremely frustrating to play against. No one made videos back then of Soul Link locks, I can only recall one (the one that made me start playing the class).

Skillcap on a SL lock is much lower. If you take an avergage frost mage vs. average SL lock, the lock just /lol's while his pet kills the mage.

Take an above average mage vs. above avg SL lock.. the lock might break a sweat, but still wins easily.

Now take a top tier frost mage vs. top tier SL lock (which is gonna use the same fighting style as the previous lock), and the mage actually has a chance at winning.

Try "Harnessing Shadows" or "Foredoomed", thats some SL movies. And yes, its quite broken :p

Top Bottom