• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Vanilla vs Retail

Cr0wL0ck

What do you think about the current retail when you look at it and then look back at Vanilla, try to mention at least one good thing so it doesn't end up being a rage thread against blizzard but rather what you think they did well on and what shouldn't have been done.

Feel free to discuss this but remember to mention good point's as well as the bad ones so it isn't a one track thread dedicated to rage at blizz :wink:.

Call me heretic but i quite like some things from MoP, although im only casual player ;) like the new talent system where the talent choices are about preffered playstyle,and not about mathcraft. I also like the monk class, its quite fun (except everything panda related :/ ) New quests and content are also sometimes very good (for me the most fun is discovering new things) but on the other hand i hate the streamlining of everything, its very un-rpg. Everything is much more linear now. Its a different game now

Only i like is those new talent trees. I hate when they are tring to make "competitive-like" game and they dont realize that wow lost rpg feeling.

Like: Classes have multiple roles that work well

Dislike: Flying mounts and cross realm anything

Just the overall change in philosophy has ruined retail completely for me. Everything made easier. If you can push the raid finder queue button, you can get showered with "epics".

However, if I had to choose some good things on retail, I can do that. I do enjoy the much larger selection of races, especially Worgen which I had always wanted to play as since Vanilla. Also AoE looting isn't something I can complain about.

This topic is so subjective it's hard to know where to start and you have to tip-toe around everyone's different opinions. :)

I was already conjuring a huge good vs bad post in my head, but on second thought I'm not even going to start. I like both for different reasons. I would've liked if the current WoW was much closer to its' original concept than it is today, but it has it's advantages to be as it is now.

Last edited:
Dungeon finder and raid finder are just annoying, and gear score -_-. the game feels anti social, people never talk in dungeons, you dont ask for help with things in the world like dungeons, the only social thing i see is people looking for pvp partners. i know you can look hard and find people but it should be easy too in the first place.

I do like the talent system and how the classes work, the new spells and attacks make it fun to play most specs and healing is not just about spamming one button. the quests are great and they keep getting better,WoD im sure will have a amazing story.
the raids are interesting with good mechs ( but it feels empty, even with 25 people).

Overall, i think WoW is just anti social and MoP was a horrible expansion. and i think they are just going to bullshit around for another 10 years because they want to extend the life out WoW but they dont realize that it;s turning into EQ. :wacko:

Good:
-Crossrealm-Battleground.

Bad:
-Xp Stop Battleground Seperation.
-Honor System Removal.
-Marks for PvE and PvP Gear.
-To many spells each class, makes people tryhard by spamming everything to beat 1 player. And it makes classes not special anymore as in Classic, because selfheal, slow/stun.
-Resilience
-Armory website because people just do the same gear/specc.
-Changed Forums, all data is gone from classic/TBC.
-PvP Insignia can be used on everything from everyone.
-Achivements. The point is gathering Points or am i wrong?
-Questing. Showing the mobs you need to kill on the Map so you dont even search them.
-Achivements + Questing = Exploring becomes meaningsless, because the point of Exploring gets destroyed by the points which you want to get for "exploring" a part of the map and with just getting lead to this and that quest doesnt make you feel to search something, instead do as fast as possible. Because the mobs are already shown on the Map and you dont need to search.
-Heirlooms

Everything on retail is as dumbed down and simplified as possible. I could go on a rant for entire day, really. Okay, as for positives, retail WoW is... easy to get into, I guess?

Things about retail that I...

Liked:
- Flying Mounts (yeah yeah, but it was convenient)
- Dual Talent Specs (really liked this on my Druid that I was levelling in Cata, before I quit)
- Some of the new dungeons and tier sets (Karazhan and Warlock T4. Brilliant)
- Opening of long-closed-off areas (Hyjal, anyone?)
- Metamorphosis Warlock ability
- Felguard
- Glyphs
- Gems

Hated:
- Loss of a sense of community (by the time I came back to Cata, everything felt so dead)
- Gradual homogenization of gameplay
- Obsolescence of old items/areas
- Removal of walljumping

Pro:
Queue BG anywhere allowing more BG when leveling
Every spec is viable in pve while healers mostly heal in vanilla

Con:
Epics are as hard to get as greens in vanilla
The numbers annoy me (people with 100k hp doing 10k dmg looks stupid)
Flying mounts most ****t invention ever
Questing requires 0 brain
Monthly fee makes you feel obliged to play

The heroic versions of onyxia, nefarian, deadmines, shadowfang keep, zul'gurub and naxxramas is basically blizzard admitting that vanilla is the best.

Top Bottom