• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Vanilla WoW before 1.12.1

Drakedog

Hello,

Can someone tell me a little about how wow was like before path 1.12.1? Are there huge improvements from let's say 1.0 to 1.12 or are they pretty similiar?

Thanks

Last edited:
I remember that Scholo was 10man instance, and was hard even with 10 people. People only went with 5man to do quests, which was incredibly hard. UBRS was 15. Dire Maul wasn't in the official release, was only added a few patches later. There was only one auction house per faction (Orgrimmar and Ironforge).

I remember that the usual Silithus didnt exist. It was like a desert with nothing in it. Cenarus Clan came in later (I think with the AQ war efforts)

Oh yeah I remember the old auction houses.. IF and Org was always the main cities before it got introduced to the other ones. Didn't know about scholo and UBRS, but sounds cool. What about talents and classes? Were there fewer/other talents for example.. I'm trying to google, but I don't find much.

Found these: http://imgur.com/a/19mYP#0

They are from alpha, but still fun to look at.

Pre-alpha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHCE7mgMa8

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know the level cap hasn't always been 60.

Seeing this alpha footage and patches makes you realise how much effort went into classic WoW. The world is massive and it has a soul. There are many parts of the world that are used for nothing, like deadwind pass and the caverns of time in tanaris. This is what I like a lot about vanilla WoW, it's not lineair, it's raw, so much to explore. It looks like they had so much ideas and didn't know where to start.

I don't feel like the expansions give you this feeling.

If only they would have worked 1 more year on classic wow, more instances and raids, better offspec gear, more rare stuff to farm.

If only they would have worked 1 more year on classic wow, more instances and raids, better offspec gear, more rare stuff to farm.
I guess you mean, that they should have worked 1 more year on vanilla before releasing TBC. If so, then I agree with you. Although Naxx was a pretty big wall for most of the players, further content would have been pointless.

In the Looking for Group documentary they said, that with each expansion they had more and more time to polish the game, with WOD being the most polished of them all. He also said, that he wishes, that they had more time refining vanilla before releasing it, because looking back at it now, it seems so garbage, even though people liked it so much.

A big part of TBC content was made during vanilla. That's why there is Caverns of time and other areas still not developed in 1.12.

You can find all the oldschool talents here for each patch: http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=1124125_7
The major changes came in 1.10-1.11.
Awesome, thanks. Didn''t know that I could change to whatever patch I wanted to.

Also reading through the patch notes will give you some insight.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches/0.x

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches/1.x

• Level cap raised to 45
Did they really consider to use 45 as max level for vanilla? Or was it more of a slowly and steady expansion of the levels up until the maximum 60.

Awesome, thanks. Didn''t know that I could change to whatever patch I wanted to.

• Level cap raised to 45
Did they really consider to use 45 as max level for vanilla? Or was it more of a slowly and steady expansion of the levels up until the maximum 60.

They had planned to go all the way up 90 or something like that orginally, just didn't happen that way lol

I guess you mean, that they should have worked 1 more year on vanilla before releasing TBC. If so, then I agree with you. Although Naxx was a pretty big wall for most of the players, further content would have been pointless.

Yes that's what I mean. They released TBC because there was no way to release more endgame without raising the lvl cap. They didn't really think about expansions at first, they had monthly fees as a business model. When you think about it they sure have guts charging extra money for every expansion.

They released WoD now and are already thinking about the next expansion, why do people even bother geting BiS gear?

man!!! That would make the game too perfect :) ahh think of the possibilities, and playable mount hyjal :sad: :wacko:

but u know blizzard the $$$$$$$$$ hungry company that they are, wanted more and more moneys from expansions :))

and i hate the fact that they divided wow and each expansion, with those seperate instanced worlds (outlands etc...) instead of just making azeroth better and better... and no cataclysm doesn't count, cos its total garbage.

Last edited:
Honor patch brought roaming low level death squads in STV. This is the closest gaming has ever gotten to Vietnam/Nicaragua/Cambodia war simulator.

Tarren Mill vs. Southshore was lots of the times a delicate courting dance between two lines moving in harmony. In a while some brave soul advanced or fumbled to the no man's land between the lines and got nuked or charge stunned in a second. I didn't actually encounter that much full-on PvP with everyone piling on another, it was more like a threat of ass kicking feast. The reality was proxy skirmishes involving lots of dead questers.

Plenty of epics looked more "crappy" (aka. better imo). Most were overhauled in one patch. T2 sets in particular. I was really disappointed how my Drillborer Disk became "glowing item #5856178", which Blizzard only took to more ridiculous extremes each expansion.

ZG was vastly harder than MC. Because the tactics were more sophisticated.

One could get rich with savory deviate delights. Or sending scam cod mails with wrapped crap.

People waiting for class talent overhauls like christmas.

People didn't get called as noobs by their spec much. There was one instance I agreed with: If you as a mage didn't spec instant arcane explosion, I wouldn't see the point of playing that class anymore.

YTMND was what the rage faces and other meme shit is today.

You could wall jump the mountain wall near the Orgrimmar entrance and get on top/bottom of the Orgrimmar that way. Park a level 10 ally hunter there and terrorize the AH dwellers with your mark.

Wall walking was more a thing anyway. There was a way to get top of everything I think with enough patience. The aforementioned Orgrimmar part got overlooked for a long time.

Naked rogue PvP videos were a fad.

In raids you didn't automatically enter combat. I don't remember the specifics if it was proximity to boss or damage/heal or something which triggered the combat stance. So in those times one of the raid jobs was out of combat resser, whose only job was to stay out of combat and resurrect fallen comrades during a boss fight.

Windfury could proc god knows how many times.

As a tauren you could grow huge as shit with some halloween buff, winterfall firewater, Sen'Jin Village buff and some other stuff which escapes me. I'm pretty sure Blizzard "fixed" this later in vanilla.

People half-jokingly thought having lucky rabbit's foot or entering first to the instance or grasping whatever old wives' tale witch doctor methods available would affect the loot table.

If you were going to Strat, you were going to Baron or Scarlet. UD or Living wasn't on the terminology.

Hunters kited Drakki to the Beast room while the raid killed the adds. This is actually a tactic employed whole vanilla, not just pre 1.12, but I added it here because I've seen it very rarely in private servers for some reason.

Same goes with soloing the torch room in BRD as a rogue. Again, it was very common when forming groups to reserve spot for a rogue for this reason. I've seen a rogue confident enough to employ this tactic _once_ in a private realm (granted, bugs might have something to do with it).

Adds were kited in Razorgore.

People raided every lvl 60 instance except DM iirc, and sometimes even Maraudon and stuff. I could swear for some strange reason it was harder and we wiped more during those raid runs than when we went questing.

There was a legit way to farm the dusty tomes as any class iirc in DM.

The end boss of BRD used to drop some Paladin D1 piece. Also there was some pain to get skippable boss set piece for mages in Scarlet, I think postmaster or some such.

Every Shaman, Paladin and Druid wore Egan's Blaster.

People didn't use DPS meters to measure DPS. We measured total damage. :tongue:

Barman Shanker was banned in raids. Mobs had very limited debuff slots and I don't think there were any debuff priority systems.

AV was full of NPC's and all kind of scripted stuff I never got fully hang of it before Blizzard ruined it, but it was nonetheless epic. Also the matches took forever.

Can anyone explain me how the Sen'Jin Village buff works that increases your size? Never heard of it.

@Fact ohh man what a collection : ) Really brought back memories. I was horde, so we kited Razorgore adds with tanks and shamans with slowing totems. Our Lucifron FBK was with OC ressers. BRD aoe room was a nightmare even with lvl60 people. STV was a nightmare to level in.

Stranglethorn is fine if you view it not as a simple leveling zone, but as a battleground with some opportunity to get XP.

Can anyone explain me how the Sen'Jin Village buff works that increases your size? Never heard of it.
You have to complete all quests in Sen'Jin then repeatedly speak to the shaman Troll untill having the right buff.

Top Bottom