• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Viable DPS specs for Vanilla raiding.

Grashopa

Ok. My overall question. What are the viable DPS classes/specs for raiding in vanilla wow?

Quick background: I didn't start playing until BC, my wife didn't start until wotlk. I have typically healed in raids (also warlock) and my wife always raided with her ret pally and was capable of topping the dps charts.
I now understand that ret paladin is almost a bannable offense in vanilla wow. So we are trying to figure out a duo that we can level up together. She would prefer melee dps but could also do ranged/caster. I am open to being a healer or ranged dps. I want to avoid us stmoping on each other over gear whilst leveling up. So I want to avoid doing two clothies.

Again the main question here is what are all the viable dps specs for raiding? And I guess a secondary question is any suggestions on a good combo for us to level together?

hello, instead listing all the viable raiding specs, ill just give you the "few" that are not recommended. Paladins, druids and shamans are generally accepted only as healers, rarely a guild would allow feral druid, or enha shaman. Priest are pretty much the same, besides they have more flexibility in healing specs and a single shadow priest can give good shadow dmg boost to the raid, but require alot of dedication and not all guilds would like one. All the other classes have one or two viable dps specs, which varies of the content and gear available, e.g. mages would roll frost in MC and BWL. The only viable tank for raiding in vanilla is warrior.

I have tried to find some forums/articles via Google and one that I read that each class only had one usable spec (and you already contradicted what they said with your frost mage comment...) that's why I'm asking here so I can get the scoop from active players and so that my wife and I can get started towards contributing to our guilds success.

Here is what I've got from reading around so far (ment to include this in original post)

Pally - Holy
Warlock - Aff
Mage - Fire (but you say frost for half the raids)
Priest - Holy (but is disc viable?) And 1 shadow/raid
Hunter- Marksman
Rogue - they said one viable spec but didn't say what one (assasin?) Neither of us has interest in playing rogue anyways.
Warrior - Prot. And I read that fury is meh in raids
Druid - none... potentially resto? (My guild says it's good on druids)
Shaman - we are alliance

Besides what I listed are there any other specs that we should be considering?

For lock its SM/ruin (aff/destro). And fury war keeps on getting better with esch tier. I would suggest warlock/hunter duo, or warlock/warrior. If youre open to heals, warlock/hunter/mage for her and any of the healing classes for you. (Disc is for pvp)

It's 20 and 40 man raids, meaning once you get X # of players doing vital roles you can carry people who just play whatever class and spec they want. It's possible to bring them all. Just saying.

Fury is meh in raids? the fk.

That's what I have heard. Of coarse I've only been looking into this for a bit over a day.

Right now I am thinking we are going to do warrior/priest. Will be easier to get instance groups and if she doesn't like tanking after level 50 or whatever she can switch to fury. (She really is a warrior at heart, all she cares about is hacking, slashing and bashing skulls... psycho)

And we are both already leveling locks as our "solo" characters when we aren't playing together.

Fury warriors are as viable as rogues, they're just very gear dependent.

For sure viable DPS for raiding:
Mage
Warlock
Rogue
Fury Warrior
Hunter
Shadow Priest (assuming 16 debuffs available)

Almost viables:
Feral Druid - they fall short in numbers vs the other melees but can get close, and they have a nice buff aura. some raids have no problem taking a feral.
Boomkin - same thing, falls short in numbers but can contribute a buff/utility
Ret Pally - they're made fun of but if you crunch the numbers on how to use BiS gear and rotations, and consumes, you can get close to the other melees. and they have auras/buffs so provide that nice utility as well.

I dont know anything about Shammies sorry

You can look at our raidstats to get an idea how various specs perform. We have a boomkin, feral and enhancement shaman in our raids regularly.

Top Bottom