• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warlock Warlock pvE?

Ok....but 5 point on Master Demonologist=10% more dmg...why to lose it for Affliction tree
And one more Q....why Ppl use 90% imp(for Hp boost or ) Be coz if use Succub have +25% shadow dmg(15% without Demonolosit)
PS:Just look Closer to your talent build...u are right about Lifetrap....Have a lot to learn until release the server : )

Last edited:
People use imp because the stamina bonus can be significant for tanks and in some cases, every single boon to survivability is needed.

People will often gimp their own abilities in order to support the raid in vanilla. Part of this is because not all specs are viable for all purposes.

the description of master demonologist says, you need to have active demon for gain bonus from it. In this way these talent points are pretty useless in raid, and improved life tap is much better. (only if i am right about this talent)

Anyway i played lock as alt,googled some shits out, and almost all says, SM/ruin is the best for pve. DS/ruis have only 5% more shadow dmg,and you losing demon. Only exception when DS/ruin is better, is pretty high-end raid gear on you, and another warlock in your group with summoned imp and sm/ruin talents.

Others explained it pretty well but I guess I'll add a little to my original comment.

Use DS/Ruin if you have another lock using imp since it has higher damage output.
Use SM/Ruin if you dont have another lock using imp.

And why no one respects Master Demonologist? I heard that DPSers have threat problems often. Why not be a Master Demonologist warlock with the imp (since you need one imp anyway)?

Well, i think that's because in demo tree, there are no useful raid talents. Most talents boost your demons and in raid, you want to have pasive imp in phase shift, so he don't do any damage. So basicaly you use 30 talents and only thing you get is -4% threat.

Well, i think that's because in demo tree, there are no useful raid talents.
That's not an argument since DS/Ruin build considered good :)
Most talents boost your demons and in raid, you want to have pasive imp in phase shift, so he don't do any damage. So basicaly you use 30 talents and only thing you get is -4% threat.
Nope :) I was talking about near-Spurfy "bad" spec, when you have 4 or 5 (maybe even no DS..?) talents in Master Demonologist.
-20%, but still not good.
sm/ruin, ds/ruin.
I'd be glad to hear some logical arguments :) A caster must have >130% of tank's threat to reaggro. So, I believe that with Master Demonologist talent he can have 130/(1 - 0.2) = 162.5% of tank's threat. If warlock really have aggro problems, it seems that he can deal (162.5 - 130)/130 = 25% more damage. I dunno if he can deal such a dmg without SM and DS, but...

Last edited:
im very interested to try 0/30/21 build even if the lack of improved lifetap will be heavy

To be more clear. I meant something like this:

• All ranged DPS (Mages, Hunters, Warlocks) should keep in mind that it is impossible for them to pull aggro from the MT. Ragnaros will always attack players who are in melee range first, regardless of their position on his hatelist (so don't hold back on DPS).
from http://www.wowwiki.com/Ragnaros_(tactics).

I believe it means that ranged DPS have to hold back on DPS sometimes, so threat reduction from Master Demonologist talent can be useful.

Hope that we'll have an opportunity to test yours and my reasoning on Kronos soon :)

Your conclusion is literally the opposit of what the source stated.
Source stated - don't hold back on DPS. Why would it state such a thing if no one ever have to hold back on DPS..? I doubt they would state something that is common - "healers are healing". So yes, it's opposite in a manner... But still seems logical.

Source stated - don't hold back on DPS. Why would it state such a thing if no one ever have to hold back on DPS..? I doubt they would state something that is common - "healers are healing". So yes, it's opposite in a manner... But still seems logical.

I thought you meant on that encounter in particular. On others you might have to hold back depening on your gear/tanks gear/your skill/tank skill/luck

I thought you meant on that encounter in particular. On others you might have to hold back depening on your gear/tanks gear/your skill/tank skill/luck
Sure! I hope I'll test how often it happens... And decide if Master Demonologist will be my "feature" or not.

If you want to raid, you should rather go for SM/Ruin 30/0/21:
http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_9_855c203012201135s525d5102000100

Warlocks will usually spam Shadowbolt, which gets increased by the talents from the destruction tree. The Affliction talents increase the shadow damage by 10% and that will be better than going for the 25% shadow damage you get from SM/DS, since you lose way too much points until you get those extra 15% + you don't have an imp for the group.

If you want to raid, you should rather go for SM/Ruin 30/0/21:
http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_9_855c203012201135s525d5102000100

Warlocks will usually spam Shadowbolt, which gets increased by the talents from the destruction tree. The Affliction talents increase the shadow damage by 10% and that will be better than going for the 25% shadow damage you get from SM/DS, since you lose way too much points until you get those extra 15% + you don't have an imp for the group.

DS/Ruin generally has slightly better DPS than SM/Ruin but you lose the imp. So long as you have at least one SM/Ruin in the raid both are very much viable.

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_9_805c2m2350300142001e505d5122020100 Is what I'd use for DS/Ruin. Noticable differences are that you get 15% shadow dmg. increase instead of 10%, you gain pyroclasm and you lose nightfall and, of course, your demon.

A lot of the points in demonology are optional, just get DS and grab what you want along the way.

Keep in mind that debuff slots are highly limited, so you will rarely if ever be allowed to use Corruption, essentially making nightfall worthless.

nightfall proc + stamina buff from imp > 5% more shadow spelldmg. Until nax geared warlock.
If you have really high spell dmg and allready have one SM/ruin lock in your group for stamina buff,then DS/ruins seem to be viable. Without it, its simply not. And definitely not in t1/t2 gear level.

nightfall proc + stamina buff from imp > 5% more shadow spelldmg. Until nax geared warlock.
If you have really high spell dmg and allready have one SM/ruin lock in your group for stamina buff,then DS/ruins seem to be viable. Without it, its simply not. And definitely not in t1/t2 gear level.

Like I said it is assuming you have one SM/Ruin lock for the tank group.
Nightfall procc is also a moot point because of the debuff limit.
The extra stamina from demonology and improved healthstones for the tanks is also quite nice.

not just tank group, its about all group member, more stamina means more survivability. More hp for lifetap for lock aswell.

Nightfall is bugged on many private servers, which leads to SM/Ruin being better than it normally would be. SM/Ruin and DM/Ruin will both be used but it likely will be your CL's call which you use, not yours.

Top Bottom