• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warlock what are a warlocks weaknesses?

Rockmaster

Authorized
Hey guys.

I am thinking of rolling a warlock on release lately.
I will do lot of pvp (solo world pvp and bg's).
I will most likely go orc wl because of rogues and + pet dmg.
So my question is, what are wl bad against? Hunters? Rogues? I have no idea tbh. I only played mage, rogue and druid alot.
Additionally, how much does farming soulshards suck? Is it a pain in the ass to have enough all the time?

P.s: is it hard to find a raidspot as wl?

I don't know much about them, but I will give you what knowledge I have!

Hunter's have a pet, which is good against casters because of pushback. They also have a mana draining sting.
Priests have a mana drain and so do warlocks themselves. I'm not too good at this stuff so if mana is actually not an issue just ignore me :p

As for raid spots... I heard they did good damage and have cool utility in some fights (banish, stam buff) they get boosted by a shadow priest even further too if using shadow spells.

Weakness -> early game
Strength -> scaling rediculously well with gear

At some point you become way too OP. Hang in there till you reach that.

Your weaknesses will only be truly apparent before you get geared at a high level. This is because Warlocks scale tremendously well with gear. Until then I would consider mana pool size/consumption is your main problem. Considering you have to rely heavily on life tapping while questing, which leaves you vulnerable at low hp in open world scenarios, this can be a huge problem when there are lurking rogues etc. And of course a good way to avoid stunlocking is always necessary if you want to win often against melee classes in open world pvp.

The biggest weakness I saw when I played a Warlock in Vanilla was how easily my DOTs could be dispelled in PvP.

Warlock pets, especially the succubus are extremely squishy. Kill a destruction warlock's succubus and he won't be having a good time. Soul link warlocks aren't quite as squishy, but are quite vulnerable to CCs.

Last edited:
Soul link warlocks aren't quite as squishy, but are quite vulnerable to CCs.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sry I just had to post this GIF, I kinda love it. :D
To topic, Soul link locks are prolly the tankiest of all classes with gear, and vulnerable to CCs? Ur ranged so u prolly mean hard CCs like Sheep Fear. Well u have a dispell, counterspell and coil to avoid some and your dots + pet will most likely continue to do dmg. U know whats vulnerable to CC? Warriors or Rogues with no CDs left.

Last edited:
I've been spamming duels on the Beta and just talking duel wise, I can imagine "good" end-game fury warriors with shadow reflector giving SL Locks quite a beating. Arms warriors on the other hand, are free kills.

True that! Also purge happy, geared up enhance shamans can straight up gib you regardless, if you let 'em get too close for too long.

Edit for protip:

Use the felhunter's devour magic on yourself once the shaman frost shocks you to get in melee range, avoid earthbind totems at all cost, bind your pet attack key and target the totems you want dead asap, that being grounding, tremor, earthbind, windfury etc depending on your situation. Easy to kite, then an easy kill.

You can wand/cast/get range, while the pet is doing damage and dispelling independently of your GCD's. Devour magic is clutch as hell, insanely useful aggressively or defensively.

Last edited:
Warlocks are the only class that stands a fair chance against spriests 1v1. Is that really a weakness?

I would say a better chance than other classes, but not fair. An spriest is very difficult as is, especially one that knows how to properly dispel. Say goodbye to that Shadow Ward (not that it does much anyway, barely three ticks of sw:p vs a geared spriest). If they're undead it becomes even more difficult. If they're also an engineer it's pretty much impossible.

I guess Spriest is every class' weakness, and though they're less of a weakness for warlocks, they're still one of our few weaknesses. :p

Never had a problem with the non try hard spriests as soul link and felhunter with a few certain buffs, adding more shadow resistance would only increase odds in your favor (duh)

One day I'm going to stack all the consumable resistances plus element school protection potions possible in a BG (with a healbot for melee) and /lol

Is not really that hard beat spriest as warlock , just use felhunter and not succube :p

They cant mindblast/fly coz of silence , you can self dispell sw/silence.

If they stand in range and try to outdps , just tounge and shadowbolt spam :p

Downside to prot pots is that they can be dispelled, and will be if they're noticed.

Ohhh shit, had no idea! Makes sense though, better to have them used as needed then, and use lesser/greater invisibility detect + water breathing as buffers, thanks for the info!

Edit- can the spell stone effect be dispelled? That would be so sad if it could

Last edited:
Is not really that hard beat spriest as warlock , just use felhunter and not succube :p

They cant mindblast/fly coz of silence , you can self dispell sw/silence.

If they stand in range and try to outdps , just tounge and shadowbolt spam :p

Assuming your Felhunter eats the silence and not a stack of Shadow Weaving. =p If you do shadow-lock them, it does become a lot easier obv. It'll still rely on you eating through their shield/heals tho, and assuming they don't nade you after. Tongues is definitely key, but more for countering hard-cast heals than damage. It gets really interesting at this point.

Ohhh shit, had no idea! Makes sense though, better to have them used as needed then, and use lesser/greater invisibility detect + water breathing as buffers, thanks for the info!

Edit- can the spell stone effect be dispelled? That would be so sad if it could

Spellstone's absorption effect can be dispelled. I purge it off ally locks on my shaman all the time.

UD Rogues destroy SP and Locks. Hunters Viper Sting+Pet damage+Multi-Shot while kiting them, using Grenades is almost auto-win vs SP but can fail against SL Locks. Enh Shaman with Grenades+GMI pretty much auto-win vs both. Ret Paladins can win with Resto Pots+Grenades+GMI, spam Cleanse and time CDs properly.

SL Locks win against SPriests. Devour Magic them on CD(not yourself), DoT them and kite them. Use Fear if they get in close, then Death Coil when they use WotF(if UD). Wait till they exit Shadow Form to heal, then Spell-Lock and Searing Pain spam. If he survives, DoT up and Fear again. Save Spell Stone, Shadow Ward, and Soul Link to block Mind Blast. Hope Orc racial blocks Black Outs (if Orc). Use Grenades when he drops Shadow Form. If you can't kite, you might want to Spell-Lock Mind Blasts and spam Searing Pain/Drain Life. If you get a Nightfall Proc(If specced), you probably won. The trick is to line up CDs and use them early on since the fight can last a long time.

SPriest is overrated. One trick pony that's good against noobs who think it's too expensive to get GMI.

Last edited:
Warlocks are the only class that stands a fair chance against spriests 1v1.

Sorry Lhartus Maximus I disagree, SPriests are the standard super strong duelists, yet with mastery of your class and some finesse u can beat them with several classes.

UD Rogues destroy SP and Locks. Hunters Viper Sting+Pet damage+Multi-Shot while kiting them, using Grenades is almost auto-win vs SP but can fail against SL Locks. Enh Shaman with Grenades+GMI pretty much auto-win vs both. Ret Paladins can win with Resto Pots+Grenades+GMI, spam Cleanse and time CDs properly.

Indeed I have had great success with my BetaRogue vs both SPriest and SlLock, yet it also depends on how much **** they're using (grenades/stun trinket etc.) and that was without Shadowreflector. Then there is another factor called stun resist -damn orc locks & priests with their 15% stun resists! And as I mentioned already, I've had great success vs those 2 classes with Fury Warrior, people dont seem to take Warriors serious when it comes down to duels. x)

Last edited:
Top Bottom