• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What happened to previous vanilla projects?

jorim

Hey,

I just stumbled on Kronos and i'm very interested. There is just one little thing that is not clear to me.

From what i've read there was a 1.12 realm before (or two). How come these projects came to an end? Why start from scratch?

Also on the main site it says on the realm overview that the xp rate will be 0-7x (.mod xprate 0-7), while it is supposed to be blizzlike (x1)? It confuses me, so it might do that for other people also.

greetings

I'm sure if you'd searched the forum you would have found answers to your questions, as they've been already asked numerous times:yes:
How come these projects came to an end? Why start from scratch?
They had very low online population, caused mostly by lack of advertising and by server not being international enough. Both problems have been addressed and (hopefuly) fixed. Kronos is now english-only and its name is recognized in the vanilla community. By the time it launches it should be known to every vanilla gamer looking for something better and even to those who are not.

Also on the main site it says on the realm overview that the xp rate will be 0-7x (.mod xprate 0-7), while it is supposed to be blizzlike (x1)
I guess the site hasn't been updated yet. The experience rate will most likely be 1x only. There is a heated discussion going on about possibly increasing it a bit but that has little chance of happening and even if so, it wouldn't be more than, say, 2x.

Theres been a few attempts at vanilla private servers going back a few years. Scriptcraft came before ED. Rebirth was out for a long time. I actually hadn't heard of the original kronos until recently. so im not sure where that stacks up, but id guess scriptcraft - kronos1 - rebirth - ED, Theres probably a few im missing out.

Each server runs the same version of Mangos (i believe). So basically, they all start from the same point, and then its up to the developers to fix bugs/make server playable. And each server failed/succeeded in their own ways.

Scriptcraft/Rebirth both turned out to be long cons to get donations 'to cover server costs' and then got the plug yanked. Never played on either server, but thats my understanding.

ED is corrupt as all fuck, Game control/Money.

Kronos is last hope for a real vanilla server (at least in the next couple years)

Theres been a few attempts at vanilla private servers going back a few years. Scriptcraft came before ED. Rebirth was out for a long time. I actually hadn't heard of the original kronos until recently. so im not sure where that stacks up, but id guess scriptcraft - kronos1 - rebirth - ED, Theres probably a few im missing out.

Each server runs the same version of Mangos (i believe). So basically, they all start from the same point, and then its up to the developers to fix bugs/make server playable. And each server failed/succeeded in their own ways.

Scriptcraft/Rebirth both turned out to be long cons to get donations 'to cover server costs' and then got the plug yanked. Never played on either server, but thats my understanding.

Kronos is last hope for a real vanilla server (at least in the next couple years)

I heard Valkyrie was pretty good? I could be wrong though.

I heard Valkyrie was pretty good? I could be wrong though.

1. It's mostly Russian speaking players.

2. Population is low. As I type this, their total players on right now: 217

3. They sell instant level 60 for donations. Some people might be okay with it, but this is deal-breaker for me.

4. I was watching a twitch stream of Valkyrie and saw fundamental features like pathfinding to be broken. With mobs walking/floating 10 yards above the ground.

So in my estimation, no... not good.

1. It's mostly Russian speaking players.

2. Population is low. As I type this, their total players on right now: 217

3. They sell instant level 60 for donations. Some people might be okay with it, but this is deal-breaker for me.

4. I was watching a twitch stream of Valkyrie and saw fundamental features like pathfinding to be broken. With mobs walking/floating 10 yards above the ground.

So in my estimation, no... not good.

Really? That's pretty bad. Strange too, because they say this on their site:

• x1 rates
  • Warden Anticheat
  • 4 years of stable work
  • No game-breaking donation rewards
  • Frequent updates and fixes
  • Active developers and administration team

Really? That's pretty bad. Strange too, because they say this on their site:

• x1 rates
  • Warden Anticheat
  • 4 years of stable work
  • No game-breaking donation rewards
  • Frequent updates and fixes
  • Active developers and administration team

4 out of 6 points are pretty much what all server projects claim to be across the board. you can't really take it seriously until you see proof.

The pros of Kronos in my opinion:
- They have other realms which each of them having designated GMs and developers. This means they have financial stability ensuring longetivity. So they are not a one server project with a small team like scriptcraft, rebirth, nostalrius, valkyrie and what have you.
- you are allowed to mention other projects, try this on feenix lol. This shows they are confident that they are the best and we can compare for ourselves.
- they fix stuff, and they make it look so easy to fix.

Tbh the ED development seems dead, long time without fixes, no communication whatsoever. So many people (including myself) settling for a badly scripted server there... We need to spread the word.
I can't wait to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Login to feenix and tell me what the intro text says :wub:

What does it say?

Something along the lines:
100% blizzlike blah blah. Same shit as other servers claim, but just as wrong.

Guys, you forget about french Server Nostalgeek. It`s pretty good server with Naxx opened, but now it`s dying cause low population. Guilds kill KT and leave server. So it`s quite old server and now it`s dying.

Kronos 1 was really long ago I think, like 2011 (and czech only). Also rebirth has been up forever afaik (also like 2011ish or so) but only recently gained traction. (And then went down lol)

I play on valkyrie and they do not make it very easy to buy an instant 60 xD Mainly as rightn ow they're paypal is down etc. Valkyrie is good as it is well scripted, however it does not have Naxx or AQ released and not for ages to come, there also is a low server population, mainly russian. However as i said it is well scripted and all quests and instances work perfect.

>Rebirth turned out to be long con to get donations

You haven't been paying attention. Data got lost because some host refused to hand it out after Blizzard took Rebirth to court and lost. The whole downtime was due to the team trying to get the data back to prevent a rollback. There's seems to be no end in sight so the team decided to go live again with a three month rollback.

The donation part happened some time before that when it was clear that the cloudhost wouldn't support Rebirth anymore. They paid 50-60k in equipment and asked for 10k to soften the blow on their own pockets. In the end no one had to donate anything - the hardware would have been bought either way.

Up until then the team paid everything themselves for 3 years. Wow, what a genius scheme. Work your ass off for years so you can cash in 10k three years down the line and split it among four people! Awesome!

Before anyone questions my loyalties: I'll stick with Kronos. I'd lose all my work thanks to the rollback anyway and I'm eager to start on a fresh server.

Last edited:
Well it is clear that there aren't many people really running valkyrie anymore if they don't even have anyone taking in the donations anymore...

I heard that their is no development because an important staff member passed away.

The AQ war effort has been done for a while now but no one is really expecting something to be released.

They paid 50-60k in equipment
Would you really need equipment that is this expensive to run a 10 year old game?
And what happened to the money now?

Last edited:
Afaik the chose the equipment because it was instantly available and because they were familiar with the system. (also I'm pretty sure you can't just use any hardware. Vanilla WoW is intended to work on now outdated hardware)

>And what happened to the money now?
They bought the hardware and they're currently setting it up with the latest data from july, I think.

Last edited:
I just hope Kronos will be different this time around.
If they already reset/restarted twice.

What exactly are they doing to prevent previous faults that caused the restarts?
Tbh I don't really see a lot of advertisement at all.
And customer loyalty will be easier to manage if they go live, but as of right now the lack of involvement from the team in the forums isn't really benificial. On top of the fact that the forums arent very active to begin with which could be a direct result of a lack of advertising.

I know Im being negative about it, but I've been happy about all the good things Kronos seems to offer.
After that excitement dies down, you start to see the little faults here and there, and its not so much in the scripts/bugs/mechanics but getting people aware of the project and keeping them interested, which seems to be part of the reasons they restarted in the past.

What exactly are they doing to prevent previous faults that caused the restarts?

Looking at: http://www.similarweb.com/website/kronos-wow.com

shows a massive increase in traffic to this site over the past few months. I don't know if that's from word of mouth hype or they are paying for advertisement, but something is happening.

Looking at: http://www.similarweb.com/website/kronos-wow.com

shows a massive increase in traffic to this site over the past few months. I don't know if that's from word of mouth hype or they are paying for advertisement, but something is happening.

I'm happy to see that :) Though I do wonder how exactly that happened? Perhaps the Youtube videos?
People like us spreading the word on the internet?

Hope it translates to a steady community a bit further down the road, when and after we go live.

And customer loyalty will be easier to manage if they go live, but as of right now the lack of involvement from the team in the forums isn't really benificial. On top of the fact that the forums arent very active to begin with which could be a direct result of a lack of advertising.

I know Im being negative about it, but I've been happy about all the good things Kronos seems to offer.
After that excitement dies down, you start to see the little faults here and there, and its not so much in the scripts/bugs/mechanics but getting people aware of the project and keeping them interested, which seems to be part of the reasons they restarted in the past.

Well they did an international restart, which lacked attention. It is an entire different situation now. They are now building a player base before the release. If there are over 1k players at launch the server will sustain itself, else the chances are small you will even grow big.

And really there is a lot of involvement from the team on the forum, you can see from the news post that they really are aware of our suggestions and concerns. They prefer not to post too much else people would tear down every word in order to read it is a hint for a release date or an official statement about certain topics.

And you don't see much advertisement?
Take a look at the amount of reddit subscribers, the youtube channel and compare it to other projects. Do you think the videos look more professional or getting more views elsewhere? They are also close to 1k likes on facebook. There is also a lot more forum activity here than anywhere else.

Either way if you want more advertisement, get active yourself by posting about kronos on youtube videos and reddit! It is a snowball effect if every person lets two other persons know.

Also, I have heared rumors, that there will be some kind of "nearly before release" advertisement campain.. But nothing official :smile:

I'm not sure how i got to kronos but the advertisement so far isnt that great, there should be some spambot spamming feenix's and other vanilla servers trade/world chats all day yo.

And you don't see much advertisement?
Take a look at the amount of reddit subscribers, the youtube channel and compare it to other projects. Do you think the videos look more professional or getting more views elsewhere? They are also close to 1k likes on facebook. There is also a lot more forum activity here than anywhere else.

Either way if you want more advertisement, get active yourself by posting about kronos on youtube videos and reddit! It is a snowball effect if every person lets two other persons know.

Ive seen the youtube videos, thats how I came here. They look great for sure.
And Im already doing that, among other things like word of mouth; otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it here.

I still remain with my statement that I don't see much advertisement. That I stumbled upon Kronos was purely because I was digging my way through tons and tons of vanilla videos on YouTube.
In the end, it just boils down to me hoping the server doesnt have to make a THIRD restart.

Top Bottom