• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What If I Never Played Vanilla??

kschanaman

I am curious as to any advice to be offered on how to play vanilla wow the right way?

I joined retail WoW at the tail end of WotLK. Purchase all of the expansions as a set and installed them all before I had even started my subscription.

Lots of people have told me I had no idea how vanilla wow was. And they're right. I didn't even get a chance to be in a raid before they ruined the game and the guild I was a part of fell apart and left.

How do dungeons here work? Got my first Horde mage up to level 11 so far, and my Horde rogue is only one level behind him. What is the best way to go here?

Thanks in advance.

Check the class sub forum for talent specs, itemization and tips on how to play your class. Join a guild while lvling so you can find people for dungeons and elite quests more easily. Also, since you joined in late wotlk you are prob used to the dungeon finder, here you gotta travel to the actual dungeon.

Edit: Also, don't forget to /join world.

Last edited:
You're not alone. There're some features here, but generally leveling was totally messed in Cata, so I think you'll be able to feel yourself comfortable with your WotLK experience. Have fun exploring the relatively new world!

Beware that you won't get a continous thread of quests from 1 to 60. You'll have gaps inbetween that you'll either need to fill by doing dungeons or grinding for a bit.

If you can deal with that you're fine. I can link you a nice leveling guide for the later stages if you want me to. I just don't wanna share it as widely

Its a lot harder. That will be evident from the first 10 levels

Your hand is not held, you want to do quests? Find them. Look up every tower, in every cave. When going to new areas go off the beaten track. Most quests have breadcrumb quests to them...but quite a few don't...especially the dungeon quests.

Look up online for vanilla builds and peoples opinions. Look up online for dungeon guides by typing <Dungeon Name> Vanilla quests. Jame's dungeon guides are awesome

Get to know people who seem to be leveling at the same pace as you...you will definitely be bumping into them often while doing elites quests and dungeons.

If you need any help don't be afraid to ask world or whisper people. Most are friendly and wont bite :D

There are addons to simplify tedious tasks - as crafting items, also some help with the ugly ui. There is available quest helper too, decursive and so on. You can check my addon pack.
All classes are good, but if you want to be helpful in end game raiding - druid/warlock and warrior tank are most needed. Easiest would be hunter/lock/mage. Pick professions you would like to have at end game, don't leave that to later - you can make money with gathering one or with selling essences with enchanting to fund your mount. If you don't like pvp - skip Ashenvale and STV. You will find decent people to level with or make dungeons so the game will be fun. Mage - go deep frost for leveling, rogue combat with remorseless. Good Luck.

Beware that you won't get a continous thread of quests from 1 to 60. You'll have gaps inbetween that you'll either need to fill by doing dungeons or grinding for a bit.

If you can deal with that you're fine. I can link you a nice leveling guide for the later stages if you want me to. I just don't wanna share it as widely

So this is actually not accurate.

This only really happens if you quest inefficiently. In modern wow's case, it never happens, rather it's impossible for it to happen based on the format of quests, but in vanilla you need to be very efficient and know where the quests are, otherwise yes you will find yourself in these sort of stretches of "no quests", but if you make sure to complete everything in a given zone, and even complete other zones that you're a level or so above, you will never run out of quests.

Source : Having leveled to 60.

Top Bottom