• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

I started wow about 2ish months prior to TBC launch. So I never got to experience the awesomeness that was vanilla in full (only had a character to about 30 being I couldn't decide a dude to main). I want to experience the grind in full being how much I loved TBC and what it had in similarity to vanilla. I love the philosophy of taking a long time to quest and experience the entire world to 60, as well as the time it takes to fully get what you need out of dungeons to raids to higher end raids; I feel that's what an MMO should be and I want to gain that experience.

That and the AQ opening ER MEH GERD. :D

Mostly the slow and actually challenging leveling process. Vanilla is rewarding. Aiming to do that quest chain to get a whirlwind axe, hitting 40 for your final talent skill, etc.

Live is just a senseless time dump. If I can level to 100 without thinking, why not just make me 100 instantly? This concept was applied to most aspects of the game.

Why to play Vanilla again? There is so many reasons...

Agree with all reasons mentioned by OP and will add few my ones:)

- Strictly rules
Rules which will not be changed at any cost, without any concession to those who want easy mode.
Today WoW lost his essence because they broke all its rules in trying to attract the large and a bit dumb population at the price to lower quality and become trivial

- Much more RP elements in Vanilla
WoW in the beginning was nice role playing fantasy game with the greatest focus on slow and precise construction of main character with a great micro management.

Today most RP elements gone or they are marginalized and the main focus is on competition of damage meters in PVE and arena's ratting in PvP.

Interaction with zones is completely marginalized by flying everywhere
Leveling and and getting to know our character/alts is marginalized too cause tons of heirloom even mount on lvl1, leveling become turbo rapid and with bonus exp players leave zone after completed just 20% of quests.

Nice RP fantasy game has completely turned into a shooter from a 3rd person perspective.

- Inbalanced releasing of new contents
Since middle of WotLK, after new content is out there are vendors with "free old content gear" or similar so most of players dont have reason to play ever again previous content except for nostalgia, transmog or achievements.

- Inbalanced duration of expansion's tiers
Usually last tier got duration like all previous two or even three tiers together (ICC, DS, SOO).

- Social aspect of game during Vanilla and BC
With new middle WotLK features like LFG, players slowly started to lose connections between them and community took "easy way" to fill their groups with totaly strangers.
In LFD players can meet other players probably once in life and they started to lose respect each for other, many ninja cases emerged and sometimes unnecessary argues and rude words.

- Distribution of work by classes
In Vanilla was no class who is capable to do all or most job, was very strictly distribution of duties.
Today for example nearly every class can heal more or less, 5 classes can tank and 3 can combat ress, nearly anyone can do CC, CC which is dumbed to the ground where mobs from same grp we can sheep 1st, sap 2nd, trap 3rd, paralise 4th and there is no possibllity that 5th un CCed mob can notice nothing strange around himself... world of dumb and dumbiest...
These are just few examples but there is many other things...

Last edited:
Missed those AV's filled with players, original soul of game, avatar of field strife, cavaliers, bombers etc.

I think the only really great and fun time i had in WoW, was during the Classic to TBC phase. I am curious if i am only nostalgic and not able to put my memories in the right context, or if Classic really was much better than the new extreme themepark system of WoD. Now i have played WoW over the last 10 years with many breaks, some minor, some longer ones. WoD broke WoWs neck and after a now 2 month abstinence i am willing to try something ... new or old? ;) My major reasons pro classic are:

MMORPG
I really want to play a massive (!) - morpg, not the todays single player simulator. It has to be hard, unforgiving and challenging. Only then are progressions meaningfull, at least for me.

AV and SS/TM
Oh dear, i miss them so much. Logging into it in the morning and completing it in the evening, that was awsome.

Server Community
One of the worst "inventions" was the dungeonbrowser system. It blasted the community and made WoW essentially a singleplaying game. Bevor in Classic the Server was something like my own village. Although i played on one of the most populated german realms, i think i knew the majority of guilds, their leader and so many players, that my friendlist was alike my handy adressbook. As mentioned above, playing should have consequenses. You are nice and helping person? You will get it back. You are a ninja looter and insulting player? You will never get access to a major guild and have trouble to get along in a tight familiar community (mouth to mouth propaganda).

Many more little things:
- skill system
- reskill costs
- no flight ( = no escape ;))
- long leveling phase (i think that was my best time in classic, with every char)
- legendary quests
- 40 raids
- server events (AQ, etc.)
- professions (!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom