• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

Lharts

Authorized
PvE

This guy here sums it pretty up pretty well for me why I prefer vanilla over any of the addons...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDDEdNbfms

Having to deal with 39 other people to get stuff done. Getting to know and obviously also getting along with 39 other people is amazing.

Items:

Items had more value. Beeing full epic was something you actually were proud of.
Full set? You were the boss back then. Even though your set might not be BiS for your class.
Furthermore, due to 40 man content alot more players were competing for that 1 item to drop. Lets say you got a CTS in BWL. It just felt so rewarding.

PvP

Before xrealm it was the rivalry that was going on between factions. Certain players that you loved to hate :)
PvP and PvE were not seperated. Resillience kind of killed the game for me later on. They tried to shape wow into competetive gaming when it was clearly never really designed for it. A crutch to make the game something that it simply wasn't.
The randomeness of vanilla PvP. 1-2 shots were possible, yes of course, but they were rare and never really a problem. It just felt awesome beeing able to burst down enemies and on the other side avoid beeing bursted.

Classes:

Each class had a certain role. Some might say this is bad, cause most classes are force to run a certain spec.
I strongly disagree here. If you want to dps then maybe you shouldn't have rolled [insert class with low dps].
Not everyone should be able to do everything. Class diversity for me means that one class has an advantage over the other in a certain field. Mages vs Locks for example were mage got better CC abilities while locks have the larger burst. Priest vs Druids were Druids have the stronger hots, better instant heals, while priests have their damage absorbing shields. You get the idea I guess.

Share your opinions

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Why you play vanilla?

Nothing, just agree with all reassons, just wanna add one more...world pvp, the atmosphere was different, it was something i will never forget, i can remember ganging in front of BRD, LHP, and most of all - Taren Mill, if i compare WG or TB, it was ridiculous and hopeless attempt of Blizz to bring on the old days back.
the world has changed. i feel it in the water. i feel it in the earth. i smell it in the air
Same like this citation from LotR, this game will never be like back in the days, but this project give me the hope i can experience this once again:smile:

PvP, the community. Committed 40 man raiding guilds brought about some awesome, big, and tightly-knit communities, and PvP in the open world was alive. BGs were taken seriously, and I've found resilience to take a lot of fun out of the game. I prefer the simple class mechanics too, where everyone has an identifiable role.

Itemization.
Awesome "On Use" effects or procs contrary to the static stats giving items in the addons.
Tidal beeing one of them of course.

What i love on vanilla, besides to the already mentioned reasons is:

You are realy rewarded for your grind effort. I (as rogue) was useless in PvP without any preparation. Blind/Vanish 5min CD and then what? Kited like hell. Then i farmed Thistle Tea, Free Action Potions, Engineering, trinkets and it got far more better.

Another thing is, that every class have advantages and disadvantages - Rogues are invisible, but slow - Reveal them and they are dead.
Mages have good kiting ability - Blessing of Freedom/FA pot and they have hard time... and so on.
With every new datadiscs, these advantages and disadvantages are lowered - everyone have dispell, everyone have kick etc..

And, ofc, cheer of the 40 ppl after boss kill after 2 hours of progression is something, that you will remember :D

slow leveling:
players level slowly so there is a higher chance to find players in the same level that want to do a quest/dungeon or even a worthy opponent you can hunt down in world pvp.

since the leveling rate is slow once you hit 60 you start earning reputation to get awesome rewards but it takes long time as well but once you get there it is totally worth it.

pvp:
the old 1.12.1 pvp system was the best and required months of dedicated pvp'ing in order to get a good rank which would then also be respected by others when seen, and since all leveled slowly world pvp existed in all contested areas, some more than other's. not to mention twinking at lvl 19 or 39 was a great option for alt's once you had a lvl 60.

note: all these fact's require and depend on a pure 1x level rate, setting it higher shortens time players are in a level and makes it a quick rush rather than the old slow hard fight towards the top so i beg you, follow the example "emerald dream" became well known for. follow the old blizzard rules and make it a true blizzlike server rather than a cheap private server you only join to rush faster towards lvl 60 and ignore most of the leveling content or world pvp :/.

the old 1.12.1 pvp system was the best and required months of dedicated pvp'ing in order to get a good rank which would then also be respected by others when seen,

You also didn't need any skill to get a good rank so that's a good thing too

since the leveling rate is slow once you hit 60 you start earning reputation

How is that in any way related?

slow leveling:
players level slowly so there is a higher chance to find players in the same level that want to do a quest/dungeon

Wether 1*, 2* or 3* you will never do a dungoen more then one time.

since all leveled slowly world pvp existed in all

World PvP happened, yes. It was ganking and griefing and nothing else. Most of the world PvP happened on highest level though.

follow the example "emerald dream" became well known for. follow the old blizzard rules and make it a true blizzlike server rather than a cheap private server you only join to rush faster towards lvl 60 and ignore most of the leveling

Ahm, WHAT? I think you don't understand what Kronos is about. Classes work, Quests work, Scripts work, everything works. If you now change the level rates higher then 1* this would only mean that the server is slightly less blizzlike. Where on the other hand for ED the 1* rates is the only blizzlike thing they got. Everything else is shit.
The only thing ED is well known for is spreading a false sense of what blizzlike means. Judging from your post, they did a really good job.

Because it was (it is) HARD! Vanilla was actually a challenge and it gave you a great deal of satisfaction when you managed to get your mount, to ding to 60, take a profession to 300, or to even take down with your buddies the 1st boss of the raid, the only thing I never liked was how messed up not only the specs for some classes were but the tiers as well, other than that, Vanilla is great!

You also didn't need any skill to get a good rank so that's a good thing too

not to mention, blizzard made a huge mistake when they went over to rating.

1: players could go from nothing to best within a day.
2: depended more on luck and group than tenacity, world pvp and will power.
3: if you shut down the client 0.5 seconds after the load screen starts you could safely avoid loosing rating since you could set it all up with another team that only if both got the que same time would enter trading win/loss. and whenever they didnt que same time they could just enter and quit client 0.5 seconds after load starts to avoid loosing points. this issue actually existed all the way untill Season 13 in pandaria.....

PVE content got easier for each expansion adding more help or giving player more health or boss less, any way you look at it the most challenging and best version blizzard ever released was the original which reached it's peak at 1.12.1 ☺

I would say "forgiving" and not easyest.
MC is easy, and BWL till chormagus too, but the rest is not so easy.

There is different kinds of "hard". In 25 man content you had to cope with the low amount of mistakes you were allowed to do, in vanilla wow raiding was more of a social aspect and it was harder to get 40 ppl on the track.
So the hard part about vanilla was getting a viable raid together and also to keep it together once you had it.

I think that naxx and AQ 40 are hard raids, but still, here we have only one dificulty where wotlk have 4. That's large diference and that's why vanilla raids can't be so hardcore. But that's something that everyone know.. And Lharts is right ;-)

cuz on vanilla u can check who is total tard, who need uninstal wow, who is mongoloid, who is total out.

Nostalgia + Quality + Harder + Fun + Balance + Social = 1.12.1

Blizzard made the game less and less challenging with each expansion and reduced the requirements for being social or time required to get anything to make it more child-friendly.... also since they barely used a year for each expansion they could never really get anywhere close to the balance of vanilla, 1.12.1 was the best version i ever played and i played since the beta release and haven't seen anything that could compare.

Cr0wL0ck put it very well. Also for me one aspect that I like in general about a private server is that you know what you get in regards to items and skills.

What I mean is the patch in place is what you always have to work with. The gear you invest time in getting will not become obsolete in the future. Nor do you have to worry about the character you love to play suddenly getting skills rewamped and playing differently then what you like/are used to.

Top Bottom