• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

PvP

Showing people just how pathetic they really are at their class.

i guess you mean outplaying everyone and especially those of your class in less gear or winning a 1v3 for example ? ☺

yes pvp was great back then, especially the duration some battlegrounds could last for example AV since they didnt have resource or deadline timer and even the npc's could pose a threat :smile:

crowlock
if your so good at playing both in writing and I even fear to connect to Kronos, and stop create stupid new topic's

i am sorry Sivul, this is not my topic i just wanted to give my opinion, and i never said i was good or a pro at playing.

So i am sorry if i should have offended you with my opinion but i cannot see how that should concern you :sad:

tip: if you feel that offended by me you can write me a message, or you can ignore me there is even a tool in "settings" to ignore specific user's. but i wouldn't consider it fair derailing another persons thread/topic just be-course you dislike me

Last edited:
youre just unbelievable post generator. Even if you will avoid half of the senseless responses,youre still on the top.

Best game ever and is very social friendly, im very good at making frend on wow B)

Vanilla is free, there is still a lot of players interested in this period, atleast enough to benefit from all features. This WoW is really different than Retail and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I find that things are more attractive in the old version of the game since it wasn't all about assistantship, gears, daily quests, reputations, achievements and our community was better, stronger and not separated because of new continents, phasing, flying mounts, cross realms, LFG/R systems...

To be honest, I played Mist of Pandaria few months ago and I don't remember more than 10 players on my own server and I didn't talk a lot, I spent most of my time playing with anonymities and the feeling was almost the same than playing a Solo RPG with few NPC. Was I playing with bots or humans ? In my opinion, Vanilla WoW is clearly more living and breathing even if we have a smaller community.

In fact, I think Retail is obviously much worse in terms of social connections wich is an essential component of what a true MMO should be. Blizzard would more money and the gamble was generously rewarded to the detriment of this factor. Now we have more players, indeed I can see more players running around me and I have a sad aftertaste since it does not have improved contact and exchange. So what do have have ultimately ? More for Less in the middle.

Why would I play Vanilla again ? Like many of us, I was young back in 2005 and I wasn't that much focus on MMO at any rate not enough to clear the whole PvE content. I'm now planning to do what I couldn't do in the past, hoping that I'll find a nice guild somewhere.

My feeling for Vanilla is like a blend of interest, passion and nostalgia.

Last edited:
I played old WoW from its launch and I enjoyed exploring as much as I could, and doing as many quests as I could. It was a lot of fun, I loved the PvP, and Raiding was enjoyable but I was a bit of a casual involving it. I only completed AQ 20 a handful of times and wiped in Naxx (completed some)/ AQ 40 (never completed) quite a lot.

The moment Burning Crusade launched, and I went into Hellfire Peninsula, I started getting overpowered greens that were dropping like mad and I thought to myself "holy shit, the game's gone Candyland". Don't get me wrong - Burning Crusade was a hell of a great, fun expansion. But it took the game in a sharply different direction from its original vision, and it stayed on that track with every expansion after it.

Pre BC was awesome, grindy, and you had a real sense of attachment to your character, gear, and skill you developed. Or that's how I felt.

I've played on several Vanilla servers already, none of them I would consider great, but still I found it much more enjoyable than current retail WoW. Vanilla WoW is to me the greatest MMO ever made. Perhaps even the greatest game, period.

Leveling - I absolutely love it in Vanilla. A grind, some might call it. To me it's a grand adventure and makes hitting the level cap a meaningful and joyous event.

PvP - World PvP galore in Vanilla. Usually not balanced, sometimes you get zerged or killed by someone 20 levels above you, but I'll take all that with a smile. The world is alive and often very dangerous. This beats the hell out a sterile existence where you can just fly over any threats on your mount. Zzz.

Gear - Epics are actually.... EPIC, in Vanilla. When you see that purple, it's a big deal. Unlike current WoW where you are showered with "epics" just for logging in.

I think my 2 main reasons for wanting to play vanilla again is immersion and vanilla PvP.

One of my biggest beefs with the WoW expansions were that they removed the players from Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, there's so much rich lore and beautiful scenery in both continents that Outlands and Northrend will never compare (never played Cata or MoP so I dunno much about that, however I know that the lore got messed up mayorly).

The vanilla instances are interesting and rich places, not just a tactic checklist that you run through for quests and loot, I have probably run Scholomance & Blackrock Depths more than all other WoW dungeons combined and I still love those places, I never felt the same way about any 5-man to be released in Wrath or TBC.

The fact that there isn't a separate capital city for high levels also adds to the immersion into the gameworld, the city that was your home at level 5 will still be home at level 60.

Furthermore there's the PvP aspect, resilience and arena completely ruined PvP for me, the divide between PvP and PvE gear was devastating, why raid for good gear if you can't go to the BG afterwards and feel truly powerful because of the many hours you spent killing every single dragon in BWL and why grind reputation/honor gear in the BG if you can't use the same gear to help your guild progress through the raids?

As for arenas I'll leave it at a quote from an old guildie of mine in TBC "They made this huge, sprawling world with thousands of players ready to whack each other in the heads, only to make us fight duels in tiny boxes".

My number one reason is that Vanilla WoW is so much less of singleplayer game than retail has become. Vanilla WoW is so much more a MMORPG where you actually chat with the people in the world!

Vanilla required actual dedication to setup a group for an instance/raid, and as the servers we're only local, you see the same people over and over. This causes you to feel more close to game.

Guilds! God i hate retail guilds, today almost every guild is all about getting random members in to farm gold for the guild master.. Some guilds have maybe 10/25 players who raid together, that's fine but it's just not the same. Guilds we're much more a part of your identity and who you we're in the game. The social aspect of running 5 mans with your guild or grinding reputation or farming mats for flask/resistance gear, all of these activites we're stuff you did with your guild to help the guild become better! Today it's all about the raiding and nothing else, which becomes boring insanely fast..

All in all the social aspect had so much more to offer in Vanilla, and this is my main reason for wanting to play Kronos. You don't just login to raid and get loot. You login to have fun with friends WHILE building up a character.

The character you played. This one is big. The time and effort you had to spend on every single piece of gear was just so much more meaningful. I mean just getting from 1-60 takes so much time, that when you finally reach 60 you actually feel like you accomplished something!

Even with all the flaws vanilla had, this kind of game just has so much more to offer for me atleast.

Because of how "never ending" the game feels.

With 1x rates, which I hope is what this server is, it will take me 3 months to get to 60. Then the real fun begins with the dungeon grinding/profession/rep/pvp/raids etc... And that could kill... Well I don't really know how much time that will kill, because I haven't ever gotten much further than the dungeon grinding on other servers.

TL;DR That "never ending" grind.

WoW was the first MMO that combined fun gameplay with socializing. UO was fun but not very social while EQ was not fun but very social (because you needed it to progress at all). Vanilla found the sweet spot in the continuum.

The population was a lot different in vanilla. MMOs were still relatively new and the D&D stigma still clung to the genre in the eyes of the general population. Nearly everyone in the guilds I was in were college students or young adults who had bought the game for themselves: I would venture to guess that 80% of the players were within a decade of age. This made for a much more homogenous playerbase than exists today.

Leveling on vanilla, especially if you ran dungeons, meant you assembled a friends list that you populated with good players who wouldn't waste your evening in an Uldaman run. Once you got into the pre-raid grind for a set of blues that you could app to a guild with, you were very selective as to who you could trust to make sure those Scholomance runs went well. If you were a jerk, a ninjalooter, a whiner, or just plain bad, you could not get a group. The long grinds of leveling, reputation, raiding prep, raiding, and honor were also a barrier to children. Those who managed to persevere were generally culled by the requirement for voice comms in raiding: no one could tolerate their high-pitched voices in your headphones.

The reason I want to play vanilla again is so I can play with a reasonably adult population. This is also why I want nothing to do with >1x experience rates: I simply do not want to play with children or teens. They are usually--not always--antisocial and selfish and today's MMOs don't punish these behaviors.

How about this - NO HEIRLOOMS. thank god.
BOA stuff really hurts the world around you. Things are far too easy , from just basic grinding mobs to pvp.

Those with boa while leveling had such a huge advantage when you are bgs etc, it just became another stupidly annoying move from blizzard.

Vanilla4Ever

Because its different from the rest of the WoW's and requires a bit more dedication and social skills to achieve something.

Yeah WoW players in general are known for their social skill

What I mean is you need a party or atleast 1 more player for a lot of stuff around the game. Even in leveling. In 3.0.1+ you can pretty much solo anything from 1 to 80/85/90 and even 5 mans when you are a bit more geared. Only raids remain a challenge even tho its easy to gather a pug for 10-25 mans, and almost impossible to make a succesfull BWL or AQ40 pug unless its a organised raid from several raiding guilds that are farming it.:biggrin:

I never really played Vanilla, so I really hope it will be a nice time.

It is completely different from the addons, thats for sure.
PvE content isn't harder, but way more rewarding. PvP isn't as competetive, but with way more rivalry.
Ingame contacts don't last for a dungeon or quest, but for your whole journey through the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rd0-zVIBVo

Another of Preaches videos... I can SO relate to what he's saying.

Last edited:
I never really played Vanilla, so I really hope it will be a nice time.

As Lharts said, it's a totally different game than current WoW. If you enjoy a more "hardcore" game than what current WoW offers, then you might become a Vanilla addict like me. But if you like the fast leveling and easy epics of modern WoW, you may hate Vanilla.

you think that guy might test out kronos? damn when he can spread the word lol

I've watched several of his videos. He definitely speaks fondly of Vanilla. He clearly does not like the direction they've taken the game in recent expansions. Retail became pretty much unplayable to me long ago, surprised Preach hasn't reached that breaking point yet.

There is a guy "Eisaar" (Catfish) from CoreCraft forums who desperately tries to hijack his youtube videos for CC advertisement. He tried the same with a twinstar showcase too :)

Of course it would be cool to have someone like him to talk about Kronos. After all, his videos have over 500k clicks.
Don't think you are the only guys with this idea though. Bet he's getting spammed regularly with promotion appeals.

Content
Never played vanilla back in the day, so most of the content is somewhat nostalgic, because I know most of it via later expansions, but also somewhat new and fresh aswell, since I never experienced it at the intended extend and power level.

Immersion
The world of vanilla WoW just seems so deep and thought-through. You see a certain location and know exactly where it is. Also the lore in the background has this typical "Warcraft" flair, which counts among my most favourite variants of fantasy. In context to other universes, it is kind of down-to-earth and tries to explain itself, to a certain extent, without beeing rediculous. I can only suspend my disbelieve for *so* far, lately alot of works overdid it or didn't even try at all. It has a certain myth, too. Most stuff I already know but not in and out.

Gameplay depth
The general gameplay in vanilla is by no means perfect. Most people may argue that most specs play really awkward or clunky -at best- and often make little sense. The balance in most places is just not there, at all. But still, it can be so much fun. It is not about managing your actions bars, spamming buttons and filling EVERY SINGLE global cooldown (because that is apparently fun and gameplay done right) ontop of intricate rotations and bulky class mechanics. It is about actual gameplay in a group environments and managing certain aspects of your class and/or role. Sure, most specs are just plain brain dead in most situations, esp. PvE. But the difficulty and the effort you have to make to actually succeed and get rewarded is still there.
By no means is it terribly hard or advanced academics, but it can still be demanding and the actual difficulty lies in basic gameplay mechanics that complement the multiplayer aspects of the game. As a healer you have to manage your mana efficiency to keep people alive, as a tank you have to manage aggro, which can be quite the chore but still interesting if multiple targets are involved. As Dps you have to manage your resources, positioning and general aspects of the individual ranged or melee play style.
Everything mentioned above can of course be trivialized in the context of actual difficulty, but I hope you get my point.
And most classes actually feel different and diverse, have their own unique roles with stronlgy pronounced strengths and weaknesses. And yes, the *good* is not distributed evenly among the classes, but oh well.

Multiplayer aspects
Like mentioned above, vanilla WoW actually feels like a game with multiplayer in mind. The stuff you can do solo is mostly limited to grinding, crafting and basic questing. A huge part of the game happens with/against other people. You need them, they need you. Some may argue that you get forced into group content, I just say it incentivizes playing together in a way, every multiplayer focused game should.
This aspect also reinforces immersion and investment into the world, because most challenges you face you can't possibly tackle alone and thus the world feels deep, huge and epic. How it should.

Top Bottom