• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warlock What specs are best?

RudyRaccoon

I don't know much about Warlock so what talent specs are best overall? Obviously for leveling first as well as either pvp or pve so here are some talent variations I'm kind of aware of.

SM/Ruin - http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0rhRdknZZxg0tM0z

Soul Link/Affliction (Voidwalker) - http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0rhRZbgGzgxot or http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0dqRZbghzgxot

Sipthon Life/Demo (Voidwalker) - http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0fhRMkLZbghzgx or http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0fhRbkLZbghzgx or http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Ii0dVRbkLZbghzgx

As the first 5 points will most likely go to improve Corruption anyway you might just stick to Affliction.
Dots + Wand, Rinse Repeat
Lock leveling is so easy it doesn't really matter what spec you run.
The first tiers in Affliction are way better then the demo ones so if you really want to level as demo I would only do so when you reached a level where you can have almost all damage increasing demo talents + improved Corruption (34~).
Another option is to stay Affliction and then respec to full SL at 40 leaving out improved Corruption and putting the following 5 points into that.
Or, duh, just stay affliction and spec like you would for raids. 30 Affliction and then the rest into destro.

Last edited:
As the first 5 points will most likely go to improve Corruption anyway you might just stick to Affliction.
The first tiers in Affliction are way better then the demo ones so if you really want to level as demo I would only do so when you reached a level where you can have almost all damage increasing demo talents + improved Corruption (34~).
Another option is to stay Affliction and then respec to full SL at 40 leaving out improved Corruption and putting the following 5 points into that.
Or, duh, just stay affliction and spec like you would for raids. 30 Affliction and then the rest into destro.

I might as well go with your last suggestion of SM/Ruin, it's a pretty good spec that. :smile:

Oh oh! Lharts my favorite guy to see on the forums: Is Warlock leveling faster than Rogue? How does it compare? I got to 14 on my orc rogue and I haven't played in a while. Warlock seems cool and I never really got into cloth classes. Will warriors one hit me in pvp? What spells do I NOT need to train for the class trainer and should I learn everything for my pet?

Last edited:
Solo play I would say rogue levels faster. Combat with Riposte is insane pace.
Don't buy anything that doesn't deal damage if you are short on money. For pets I only bought the voidwalker spells while leveling and maybe seduce if I need some CC.
As mounts come almost for free as a lock you should never run low on cash though.

Warriors and rogues will most likely kill you while you are low (till 40 or so) and become easier later on. Curse of Exhaustion or Soul Link help alot here.
Only got two-shotted by warriors wielding WW axe at arround 30 (itemlvl arround 40). After that its pretty even unless they catch you off guard so I wouldn't worry about that.

For 60, lock depends alot more on proper gear imo.

Low geared locks are shit
High geared locks are insane (sta+sp)

Last edited:
Solo play I would say rogue levels faster. Combat with Riposte is insane pace.
Don't buy anything that doesn't deal damage if you are short on money. For pets I only bought the voidwalker spells while leveling and maybe seduce if I need some CC.
As mounts come almost for free as a lock you should never run low on cash though.

Warriors and rogues will most likely kill you while you are low (till 40 or so) and become easier later on. Curse of Exhaustion or Soul Link help alot here.
Only got two-shotted by warriors wielding WW axe at arround 30 (itemlvl arround 40). After that its pretty even unless they catch you off guard so I wouldn't worry about that.

For 60, lock depends alot more on proper gear imo.

Low geared locks are shit
High geared locks are insane (sta+sp)

I beg to differ,

I love Warlocks so much. I leveled a warlock to 60 on Feenix-Emerald Dream ~ Undead Lev. 60 Warlock named Euloqariaxia in the guild of Dreamstate with Showtime. I leveled as Affliction there.

This beloved Warlock I am playing on this beloved private server of Kronos, I leveled all the way to 60, well almost (switched specs @ lev 58); I leveled as Demonology.

Yeah w/ Affliction you can dot / rinse and repeat. With Demonology, you can pull 3 mobs at a time that are 3 levels higher than you and have your void tank them all. You will soon love Demonic Sacrifice and also the fast cast time for spawning your demons. You will LOVE the damage output that your Sexy Succubus will put out. I can't tell you how many times I have got ganked in Stranglethorn Vale and have lived because of my pet either sacrificing itself, or silencing, or soothing, so many different options. This makes PvP so much fun. I could just fear the dwonk and let my Sexy Succubus do the rest, (we have this affair going on).

Demonology comes to be so much fun, but Warlocks itself NEVER get boring, I love them.

Don't know about warlocks either but got one serious question: how good is the sacrifice where you get 2% of your max mana every 4s compared to the 15% more shadow damage?
Let's asume a raid buffed lock got 330 mana which are 330*15*0.02 mana per 4s, which are 61.875 per shadowbolt. So with rank 9 and 10 it takes roughly 6 bolts until your mana has regenerated for one free shadow bolt.
With the 15% more damage sacrifice you need to cast 6,66 shadow bolts to gain one more shadow bolt "for free" but you have to life tap more.

Since I don't play warlock and don't know how life tap works on this server my question is if it's more viable to get the 2% max mana/per 4s or 15% shadow damage + life tap. Ofc in a fight with movement life tap wins, so this question only applies to static encounters.
My personal guess is that the 15% more damage are better.

Thanks for your answers!

Do SM/DS bonuses stack? I'm pretty much there already as I level up to 60 and it may be some time before our guild starts actually raiding (Kronos 2 of course). I'm not sure if I will be killing that many mobs (before we start raiding) that have enough health to justify Destruction talents.

SM/DS would be uber DoT damage (for dungeons maybe) and maintain good solo/farming talents....if the buffs stack.

Do SM/DS bonuses stack? I'm pretty much there already as I level up to 60 and it may be some time before our guild starts actually raiding (Kronos 2 of course). I'm not sure if I will be killing that many mobs (before we start raiding) that have enough health to justify Destruction talents.

SM/DS would be uber DoT damage (for dungeons maybe) and maintain good solo/farming talents....if the buffs stack.

There's no evidence to support the effects not stacking, but you'll essentially just be DoT/Drain spamming as Shadow Bolt won't be worth casting. Doesn't seem like a good spec for really anything.

Its supposed to stack and does stack. Its shit though.
The only real use for this spec is dotcleaving AV. Still shit imo

SM/DS gives you the strongest possible corruption spell in the game -- which is great because T1 gear adds 2% to corruption (w/ sac succ). It doesn't give you the strongest possible shadow bolts and of course you're not casting them as fast as a destruction lock. But there are other big benefits to SM/DS, ability to quickly switch pet to sac imp for +15% dmg on your aoe. I use sac VW for ragnaros fight, and never need heals. It's also decent to be able to sac the felhunter (though rare) for those fights where you need a lot of mana and there's intermittent fears etc.,. Sometimes lifetapping in a boss fight will get you killed (magma burst rag, charge from spider boss ZG). So that flexibility is great. But it's also good for solo pve/grinding. Not the best for PvP... but again, if you're dotting -- you get the strongest dots in the game.

Edits:
SM/DS also gives you strongest possible non-crit shadow bolts, strongest drain life (not like you'll use it in raids.. but you could since it helps proc Nightfall)

Last edited:
For pvp any lock spec fine against classes other than warrior.Just spam fear.

Stun rogue may be a problem but horrify+fear should do the trick

Top Bottom