• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Why I miss the old times....

error

This topic is more of a story about my gaming history in general and not about Kronos as a project. I wanted to post something like this in an Off topic section but there was no relevant area for it.

I yesterday broke up for my Christmas break, something I've not had the pleasure of experiencing for the last few years. I was randomly searching on YouTube and suddenly got the erge to search for my old vanilla world of warcraft guild called Divinitus.

I found a video of when the guild defeated Ragnaros before the son's spawned and I remember my younger brother was the main tank in the guild. He was actually in this video main tanking Ragnaros and it just made me feel a little emotional when I remember all this. My brother was well respected in the guild and everyone in the guild relied on his decent tanking skills.

I remember the times coming back home from college, my brother would be sitting at home after school waiting for me so that we could both log on and play together along with his friends. I remember at the weekends he and I would log on at around 11:00 and continue until 03:00, hell sometimes even later.
My parents were both getting rather unsettled by our endless hours playing on this game, but to be honest with you they did not mind to much as we both were not getting into any trouble.

My main character was a shaman and my brother and his friends helped me kill a summon able boss in UBRS so that I could complete my tier 0.5 set. I am very sure it was the five elements set, the helmet looked like a wolf's head and it was a different colour to the standard tier set.

I remember doing the quests to obtain this gear and it cost so much in materials that I actually had to buy gold just to be able to do it. Along with completing this tier set I also got the best elemental damage gear you could obtain. I could even two shot someone in a duel if two of my spells critted against poor gear, that would rarely happen but when it did it was very satisfying.

By the time I had achieved all this gear which took me 6+ months of avid playtime I remember hearing that TBC was going to be released in the autumn. On my shaman main I had only got up to Raganaros in Molten Core and I was rather displeased to hear that all my gear was going to useless when the first expansion released. I didn't even get to complete or even see all of BWL, AQ20, AQ40 and NAXX.

What blizzard should have done before TBC released was to offer one or two original vanilla servers where I could have transferred my shaman and Alliance Warlock onto and finished of all the content I wanted to do. If I had completed all the content then I could decide if I want to transfer onto a TBC server or stay on a vanilla server.

I started playing WOW about a year after it released in the UK and still to this day if they had offered what I mentioned above I would still be a paying customer. When TBC released I did purchase it but I was so disappointed that months of hard graft was for nothing I decided to un-subscribe. I was not alone in my feelings others obviously would have the felt the same as me. I would feel even more sorry for the people who got legendary weapons and tier 3 which takes a lot of investment all for it to overnight become rather worthless.

Over a period of time I did eventually come back but my guild had disbanded, I made it to lvl 70 with power levelling the last few levels but this in the end wasn't worthwhile as I didn't stay long after. It was all rather pointless. My brother was not interested any more he was fed up with the expansion as he had only finished the BWL content. Because I enjoyed playing WOW with my brother, after he had stopped I did officially give up at this point. I since this have never subbed again.

Over the years I tried out various private servers on the top 100 wow private server list but they are so abysmal it's not worth even playing unless you want to mess around for an hour and wander about the environment, wishing it was 2006 again staying up late and talking on teamspeak 2.

It's not that I am some person who cant let go I can but when I think of vanilla wow I compare it to looking at old photographs of me and my family. It's natural to get upset and a bit emotional because they were times you enjoyed and felt happy in. Now that I am in my late 20's and so much has happened since then, when I look at vanilla WOW I just wish that I could go back in time even for a day or so to relive probably some of my best gaming moments I have ever experienced.

I miss playing WOW with my younger brother and yes I can still play games with him and I have done, but we both played something we enjoyed and with lot's of others to. Working as a team to kill a boss was always a great achievement, I still can remember all the screeching and cheering down the microphones when HAKKAR was downed. I can even remember when a guild member played the song 'Celebrate good times come on' when a major boss was killed and everyone loved it!

Since WOW I have tried various other MMO'S, RIFT was enjoyable and Guild wars 2 not as good as anticipated with end game content being the main flaw. My main other long term MMO experience was Warhammer Online and I was devastated when EA closed that down Last year. The best PVP MMO I had experienced playing.

Lot's of other games have released since WOW and I have played some of the main hit titles and some are very good but they don't give me the same experience I had with WOW. It could be that I was young then and had no responsibilities in life which I do now.

I am very much looking forward to Kronos, I do hope it will be as good as the promotional videos make it out to be. I am not looking forward to the 1 to 60 levelling but if I make some friends who I can level up with it makes it much better. I also pray that the raiding experience is of the highest quality to the original blizzlike version.

It would be nice to hear about other peoples experiences with the vanilla wow and if you have any stories of what you miss and remember back in 2005.-06

It's not that I am some person who cant let go I can but when I think of vanilla wow I compare it to looking at old photographs of me and my family. It's natural to get upset and a bit emotional because they were times you enjoyed and felt happy in. Now that I am in my late 20's and so much has happened since then, when I look at vanilla WOW I just wish that I could go back in time even for a day or so to relive probably some of my best gaming moments I have ever experienced.

It's like I wrote that paragraph :) It's kind of weird getting emotional and nostalgic over a video game, but I still do.

I remember the very start of my WoW career, when I was doing the troll cave quest in Dun Morogh, teamed up with two random strangers, with whom I then kept +- leveling, trading, etc until 60. I remember my first Deadmines, when we emerged on the other side and I said "WOW" aloud, in awe that there is freaking hidden pirate ship out there! I remember getting ganked by the same player several times and how much I hated him. Also running around in Stormwind looking at the 60lvl players stunned how cool they looked (warlock T2 totally got me in that time). And first BRD and first MC is something to never forget about. Still my favourite zones to this day.

And after some time at 60, I also brought my young sister to the game and made alt to level with her. And we could talk about WoW nonstop even irl. It must've been worrying for our parents, since we were still children/teenagers back then, playing computer games all the time :)

Awesome stuff.

So yeah, nostalgia & the prospect of community of Vanilla WoW lovers(people like me) drew me back to Kronos.

Last edited:
Nice story mate, I kinda felt the same way when TBC came so i quit.

There was a different sense of achievement in vanilla because it felt like it was everlasting and any gear you earned would keep its value, I really didn't expect that an expansion would come and raise the lvl cap and make your gear useless. There was also a very close community since there was no cross-realm stuff.

And like you, I never made it that far in pve progression. I got into a good guild and did a run until twin emps and killed razuvious in naxx but then the guild transferred to a new realm in order to get easier world boss kills.

Nice story mate, I kinda felt the same way when TBC came so i quit.
I guess in a way I was lucky that I didn't progress too far in vanilla (only started to touch on MC/ZG casually and bought Belt/Gloves of Felheart in the AH), the expansion didn't instantly invalidate much of my time. Had a great laugh in TBC but I did kinda missed Azeroth. Everyone was camping in Shattrath and the old world just fell silent.

I'd usually spend a fair amount of time messing around climbing mountains. Hopefully I won't draw the ire of admins if I do that here (I don't bug mobs or skip stuff by doing it).

Last edited:
Reading these posts makes me we want to play through Azeroth, too! Even though, I've only played early and mid-lvl dungeons throughout before.

Oh man I was listening to a very emotional Native American song while reading this. It made it quite epic.
But man, I think and hope that nearly everyone who is on this forum has expierenced what you and I have.

My personal expierence is very similair.
I was about 14/15 when I first started playing it in 2005 and at first I didn't even enjoy it that much. I thought the graphics were not that great and the gameplay was weird since Id never gamed on the PC before. Only console gaming. Anyway I went along with it, and the more I understood and progressed in levels, the more I enjoyed it!
Ironically I was also a Shaman, an Orc. But the complete opposite of you. I was Enhancement and 100% PvP orientated.

I even quit highschool partially because I wanted to be High Warlord. That sounds really dumb but it was obviously not the only reason I quit, and thus far (Im 23 now) I havent regret that descision yet.
So not too long after I dinged 60 I went for it. Grinding battlegrounds like a robot, and earned Exalted with both AB and AV and came VERY close with WSG too. Eventually my friend who made me play in the first place, quit for whatever reason but I continued.

Just before TBC hit, I nearly got rank 11, but was stopped at rank 10 (Champion).
I was so-damn-proud of my full Champion Set an The Unstoppable Force with Crusader.
I also had gotten some very good epic boots from MC that a Hunter passed on so I got them :)

Such good times, this is only a very small part of my expierence, but I dont wanna make my post too darn long.
Last thing I wanna add for now is: When I walk outside now in real life, and Im in nature, strangely it reminds me of WoW, Vanilla in particular. When I see a farm I think of Westfall, when Im in a forest I think of Ashenvale and Elwynn Forest.

Sigh.. good times.

Wwhen i first arrived at crossraods with an orc character, i saw the archmage from Warcraft 3 alliance race, the hero at crossraods. it was not a archmage from Wc3, it was a human on a horse, they were raiding the village probably, everyone just came back to crossraods to defend it, but without me coz i was lagging so hard and i already had a virus on my computer and so much disturbance and everything lagged so hard i couldnt feel the amazing experience i just died and so on.

PS: 256MB memory card ftw.

Top Bottom