• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Balance not viable in vanilla?

Aren't Demonic Rune and Major Mana Potion taking care of mana issues or is that not enough?

As I was told, potion and rune spam is a given, and you also need to use things like elixirs, food, etc.

Watched a Nefarian kill with a moonkin yesterday. It was some US guild, and the druid's name was Cakenina. Not sure how well he did on the meters (I think he AFKd right after), but he managed to avoid going OOM through the entire fight.

Would love to know what kind of consumables was he using / if he was downranking Starfire at any point ...

BTW, it's refreshing to play on a server that has actual raiding moonkins and isn't packed with *****s who bash this beautiful spec ^^.

How much damage does a moonkin do compared to another support-caster: the winter's chill mage? Spelldamage calculators

Ungeared
HZ8Blqx.png
Warlock 342
Winter's Chill mage 297
Boomkin 227

Midgeared
2ny867K.png
Warlock 661
Winter's Chill mage 538
Boomkin 455

Endgeared
IjFf33V.png
Warlock 844
Winter's Chill mage 681
Boomkin 587

3% more chance to crit on an endgeared warlock would add 23 dps, times 4 its 92 dps. If we credit that to the moonkin, his dps goes from 587 to 679. This is still 80% of the dps that the warlock did before the 3% extra crit.
In short, no the extra crit does not outweight bringing another warlock. BUT wait! theres more

If you're playing a hybrid class and you're always performing just one role, you're doing it wrong.
The strength of a moonkin is that you are a hybrid. You can go dps on trash and some bosses, while swapping to healing gear on other bosses. You want to clear the instance quickly, you don't want healers with full mana on trash - let them do some damage. You have healers with full mana on some boss fights? Let one of them go dps. A moonkin is perfect for this.

You can support heal easily on fights like bug trio where healers have to be scattered all over the place. You can remove poisons on viscidus. How about healing on patchwerk and swap to dps on grobbulus, gluth and thaddius without ever getting another player into the instance.
A moonkin can be a good addition to a raid if you're smart about it.

Last edited:
I don't think most moonkin players share your excitement about healing half the time, especially after going through all the trouble of obtaining BiS and the high amount of consumables. But you're right when you say that moonkins can benefit the raid by offhealing.

Can you explain why are you attributing partial resist loss to Starfire? Isn't that covered by Curse of Shadows? (Not sure.)

Perhaps moonkins would do well to try and stack as much crit as possible -- even favoring it over spell damage. But that's just an idea, and in vanilla, you pretty much have to go with what's available.

PS: Nice "no, don't scroll down" message :p.

Last edited:
im sure you're right about them not being excited about healing, but mages and warlocks aint excited about passing items for a moonkin either. well its just a game and im sure a moonkin can get into several guilds here anyway.
all im saying is if we're talking about optimization for a guild with a steady roster - then you can make a case for a boomkin being "worth it" - but without offering to also heal, no it ain't.

as for consumables, healer consumables aren't that far apart from caster dps ones. a lot of them overlap on both specs.
about the partial resists. there is mob-specific resistance and there is level resistance. mob resistance can be reduced by things like curse of shadow. level-based resistance can't be reduced by anything. therefore its not possible to get completely rid of partial resists even when the lvl 63 boss have 0 arcane resistance.

Last edited:
I've spoken to Cakenina from, uhm, a BWL farming NA guild, and he said he's playing balance to boost the fire mage damage in AQ40. Any thoughts on that? The above calculations don't include a fire mage.

According to those charts you get 18% crit from world buffs yes? I don't think the benefits of nature's grace is being calculated for that, but I can't be sure because I don't know how you are calculating it. I know it is minor but it brings it up.

Just thinking about the damage possible if there wasnt a debuff limit can make anyone sad.

According to those charts you get 18% crit from world buffs yes? I don't think the benefits of nature's grace is being calculated for that, but I can't be sure because I don't know how you are calculating it. I know it is minor but it brings it up.

Just thinking about the damage possible if there wasnt a debuff limit can make anyone sad.

The moonkin sheet has been updated to show the natures grace with the 18 extra crit chance.
Moonkin Spelldamage Calculator

Top Bottom