• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Bear Tanking and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally prefered getting def everywhere I could. You cant reach the cap, but you can knock off about 3-4% I believe. Leaving you with like 2% chance to get hit with a crit by skulls. Leaving it at 6 is too much imo

I personally prefered getting def everywhere I could. You cant reach the cap, but you can knock off about 3-4% I believe. Leaving you with like 2% chance to get hit with a crit by skulls. Leaving it at 6 is too much imo

Some is nice, I agree however dodge/agility most of the time comes with good armor/stamina items. Defense and good armor/stamina is hard to come by imo which is why I don't value it as much as the others. And that is my all around reasoning for putting defense a bit below it.

You do pick up a few nice defense items along the way like overlord's embrace, magmadar necklace, dark iron ring, warden staff that provide a good bit of defense to help out in reducing that % (even naglering and force of will are great choices imo when beginning). I just wouldn't sacrifice health/armor for defense personally if I have the option.

I think i'll update the post a bit and give defense a bit more justice because I do agree with you but in the beginning I don't think its worth chasing defense gear sacrificing stats, end game a lot of gear starts to come with defense in addition to armor/health and dodge/agility gets a bit phased out and your decisions at that point are clear cut.

Nicely written and formatted, very informative and motivating :).

<3 Ferals

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. c:

Last edited:
I'm coming from a warrior so I don't know really. But wouldn't it be better to use Enrage after the pull as the rage gain would generate threat then? Like you do it with Bloodthirst as warrior.

I'm coming from a warrior so I don't know really. But wouldn't it be better to use Enrage after the pull as the rage gain would generate threat then? Like you do it with Bloodthirst as warrior.

Our enrage reduces our base armor by -27% which on a typical entry raid geared druid takes almost 2.5k-3.5k armor away for the duration. I recommend using with caution during a fight in the post but don't outlaw it as I used it every single fight at times I felt safe.

I personally find the loss in armor right off the bat not worth the few hundred aggro generated. An unlucky few crits can really decimate you and your healers mana and the free 2-3 mauls right off (our base damage is higher and we crit more often = huge rage generation) the bat is usually good enough to hold onto aggro in most situations. A warrior I believe only takes a few hundred health as penalty where as armor is our everything.

It's all subjective and if your healers are ready and you feel safe that the mob will not destroy you during its duration then yes getting that extra hundred aggro is a plus. Im going to add note to the rotation because it honestly didn't cross my mind. I always played the safe route as a druid because I didn't want to strain healers mana and felt my threat was always in a safe spot initially.

Last edited:
You write the worst thing for tanking bosses is that you get crit. So why not sacrifice SOME health/armor for defense?

The starting out section basically begins at 60. What about low level dungeons? How does a bear tank compare to a warrior in armor/life/threat for those?

Bear is better than a warrior in every 5man. Doesnt matter what level. The stats are about same as far as hp/armor(druid has a bit more, while warr got block) , but you do double the damage thus more threat. Also the ability to hot yourself before pull, ress or inner later on.

Last edited:
Except for Dire Bear form making our armor loss during enrage 16% instead of 27%, sweet thread boss! :>

It's not exactly def cap that is the issue when it comes to the viability of druids. Def cap isn't a priority at all for the majority of content. The reason why druids can't tank mobs more than 2 levels above them is crushing blows. Druids have no way to gain CTC cap while warriors can cap themselves while naked, with just a shield eqiupped. The reason why druid can't compete isn't gear or aggro it's just one thing, shield block.

Can you explain it please? I'm not very knowledgeable in tanking statistics.

Edit: nevermind I looked it up

Last edited:
Funny that there's a bear tank thread right at the top of the forum. How bad were bears in raids in vanilla? I figure you can probably tank early raids but maybe now bwl/aq40/naxx unless you outgear it?

I have fond memories of my feral back in vanilla, but i understand warriors are much better equipped to tank in raids and probably outscale druid with gear.

Its really not that druids don't have the tools (taunt is the biggest factor), it's blizzards itemization on items. Druid tanking gear is all non set gear, except maybe a few pieces.

Its really not that druids don't have the tools (taunt is the biggest factor), it's blizzards itemization on items. Druid tanking gear is all non set gear, except maybe a few pieces.

Yeah I figured, no set bonuses, harder to get items, almost inexistant feral attack power (i think only 2 weapons has it in the game?) and agi/stam/dodge/bonus armor being all you want, with strenght for extra threat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bears are vastly superior to warriors in threat yes? Like how much? I figure this can be diserable as an add tank since we can also switch to catform and dps once our add is dead.

Blizzard in vanilla made warrior only tank class.Druid bear has better stats compared to warrior however warr is better due to procs.Warr relies on being hit and proccing.Druid has mitigation built in it but no procs.

U must know that druid is a all round class similiar to pala or even a shaman.Druid has healing but not the priest type healing,druid can tank but not at a high standard compared to warr,druid has stealth and dmg but not powerfull as rogue.
I mained a R12 druid,it is a nice class to play but becomes better with experiance.Benefits of druid are that u can solo 5mans,do stealth runs,unkillable in 1vs1 pvp if played right,good money maker char.It is way better than warrior or even other classes if played proper.Very brilliant sustain class and can hold its own

Druids can still tank any non 20/40 man with ease and even then there are a couple bosses besides gimmicks I have heard that druids tank a little easier due to better threat generation, but don't quote me on that as I don't have any actual experience in that regard. Raids were meant for hardcore players and therefore were balanced around every class making sacrifices, e.g. the obvious debuff limit upgrade to only 16.

Yeah, druids are just fine for tanking 5mans, but they're kinda not viable in raids due to no defense cap and no block/parry, so lots of crushing blows.

You could off-tank adds, but that's about it. Even then, Paladin would probably be better due to consecration, ability to block, and things like holy shield and ret aura; perfect for tanking tons of small adds.

Last edited:
What happened to this thread? I wanted to check back to it for my druid and now the guide is gone? :(

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?boss-kill=359512#bosskills_players:0+5+3+1

I have no issue tanking Razorgor/Ebonroc/flamegor/firemaw/Broodlord it is even better for threat and any boss in MC/ZG

I still lack gear for Chrommaggus, and the fact you cant use sand in bear form is an issue. I died on Enrage.
I tanked during 7mins nefarian (after the death of MT1 and 2 during a lagspike), until we got double druid Call, the 1st one i survived with some healing CD, i died at the 2nd one.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Level_60_druid_tanking_equipment
This base is amazing, especially if you know how to balance tanking itemization and threat generation.

Yeah, druids are just fine for tanking 5mans, but they're kinda not viable in raids due to no defense cap and no block/parry, so lots of crushing blows.

You could off-tank adds, but that's about it. Even then, Paladin would probably be better due to consecration, ability to block, and things like holy shield and ret aura; perfect for tanking tons of small adds.

I've had druids running as 2nd or 3rd OT on both BWL and AQ40 without major issues. While they arent as optimal as a warrior, they'll do fine offtanking most content in vanilla including raids.

The few bear tanks I've played with seem to have a lower threat cap on this server, which probably correlates directly to the lack of rage gain by incoming damage warriors such as myself complain on another thread about.

They do make great 3rd tanks due to a high EHP, fights that involve a taunt for a reset or avoiding a buffet is nice.

On a fight where a 3rd tank isn't needed, ie: Chromag, put on some MP5 gear and be a decurse bitch. Would free up a mage from doing is which would push more dps than you. Or on a fight where melee are limited in up-time on boss, you can put on healing gear and still push decent heals.

Any Bear would be expected to carry multiple gear sets to raid IMO.

Certain bosses the mechanics favor a bear, far and few inbetween but they are there. First one you will encounter is Spider boss in ZG. Let them keep aggro on boss when in spider form and they can shape shift out of the web. Makes it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom