• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid How are resto druids in vanilla?

Longhorn

Authorized
Hi there, how is it with trees in Vanilla? I loved my wood in wotlk, i hate it in Cata. But i am getting bored and i would love to try out good quality Vanilla.
How do resto druids compare to other healers? I have no clue, really, would i have to do more to be at least mediocre? I heard that druids were jacks of all trades, but masters of none, i wonder if that applies to tree too.

Thx Goris, i am WotLK noob you know :D. Thanks for the info, i might go for druid after all.

I would go for something like http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_11_8014305331d13s505c3115115000 . In vanilla you pretty much never use regrowth and you spam healing touch (rank 2,3 or 4 not sure atm) all the time. Ofc you can put a few rejuvs on tanks and when you have to move etc. But its really different playstyle from Wotlk where you basically just spam hots and shit.

P.S. The talent tree is also made for farming with omen of clarity and some root action to be able to farm atleast some things and not instantly die in world pvp. So it could look a lot different..

Well Im PvP orientated and they're my favorite healers to play (not saying they're the absolute best though)
With travel form, cat form stealth, bear when needed, hots, NS, shapeshift out of roots/snare, shapeshift = immune to polymorph, a range of debuffs like Insect Swarm, Moonfire and Fearie Fire, Innervate..
I love them.

As far as raiding goes, I heard they're basically there to Innervate the Holy Priests..
But I bet thats hogwash, and they're still good healers :) MoTW anyone?

In PvE resto druids are good, they actually have the best HoT spells in the game, and as mentioned above there is no tree form --> it's the only spec that allow you to actually see your hard obtained gear (which in an era of no trasmogs is a pretty cool thing imho)
Bear is pretty decent for dungeons, but will have horrible hard times in raid, reason why a druid (almost) never tank.
Balance.. meh, maybe for PvP but the only spec that really does its job is restoration, both in pve and in pvp.

That's pretty much why they got improved and improved from TBC onwards. In vanilla druid is a hybrid class that cannot fully express that feature.

Well Im PvP orientated and they're my favorite healers to play (not saying they're the absolute best though)
With travel form, cat form stealth, bear when needed, hots, NS, shapeshift out of roots/snare, shapeshift = immune to polymorph, a range of debuffs like Insect Swarm, Moonfire and Fearie Fire, Innervate..
I love them.

As far as raiding goes, I heard they're basically there to Innervate the Holy Priests..
But I bet thats hogwash, and they're still good healers :) MoTW anyone?

They were really bad in the beginning of vanilla, so its actually true that druids were just for innervates and combat resses, ofc some heals. On this patch tho they are pretty effective and a solid healer choice.

is really nessesary to being a "dick" over peeps who dont english with skill at your level?
If you really didnt realize what is he talking about, you have some mind problems imho.

is really nessesary to being a "dick" over peeps who dont english with skill at your level?
If you really didnt realize what is he talking about, you have some mind problems imho.

Don't think he wanted to be a dick, he simply does not understand how a druid would be able to beat any caster class.

Swiftmend :)

Last edited:

I actually can't understand that sentence. My best guess is that a Rest(r?)o druid can win(?) any caster's class? How do you win a class?

The sentence was written quite badly, but everyone should be able to understand that it means:

A Restoration druid is able to beat any other caster class (in a 1v1).

I don't know what she meant, I just told you what she wrote.
I wouldn't say that druids win against any other caster class either.

There are two ways to gear every healer. I prefer mp5/spirit stacking. As HoTs do not stack, 1 of each healer class should stack + heals for tank HoTs. I like raid healing with spot healing tank with light heals. You will not see me on the heal meter unless it is a long fight, and / or we lost a few, I start creeping up the meters because I am the only one with mana still. Those types of fights you shine, farm battles your contributions are overlooked.

My Resto druid has been my main character and spec all the way from the start until i quit in WoTLK. And i loved its healing style compared to the other character i tried out. After i think it was the last main patch in Vanilla. I started to dislike it and the game. That is when the major nurfs and dumbing down started to come in

The main think i liked about it was the ability to choose the right heal for the job. With low mana regen I had to make sure i picked the spell that would heal nearly exactly without much over healing. Time it right too. So knowing the fights and my teams. As to pre cast the spell or HoT to heal when its needed. Innervate too i eventually was able to convince my raid leader that needed it for myself and not the priest.

Throwing out HoT's all the time or spaming the highest heal works fine in the later expansions of the game where Mana is unlimited due to such high regen. But it gets really boring and you dont need as much skill.

hi all. i have been raiding as resto druid on another 1.12 server over 2 years now and i thaught i might share my impression. i am trying to keep it as short and informative as possible.

PvE:
pve-wise resto druids are simply monsters in terms of manaefficiency; although the hybridity joker is also often drawn when spotting a resto druid this is certainly not true in this case. i will let aside class specific talents (e.g. innervate) as all 3 druid specs deliver them and just focus on the healing abilities. as mentioned by posters above Rdruids bring among the strongest hots in game, but imo this should be regarded as a nice bonus (do not get me wrong here!) rather than the classes core ability (from a pve perspective). where restodruids really do outstand is at their ability to keep a constant, manaefficient stream of raw healing where other healing classes will struggle with mana problems. The key for this is downranking, using lower ranks of your healing spells. Ofc other classes take advantage of this as well, but the fact that Healing Touch scales so well with +healing boni lets druids shine especially here.

PvP:
with shapeshifting (which also removes every kind of slow or root on you) and here especially the cheetah form, feral charge,abolish poisons, instant heals,hots and roots playing in your hands you will be the quickest (here in terms of runspeed^^) and most agile healer on the battlefield. with swiftmend and nature's swiftness we have 2 really strong instant heals, but apart from them druids kinda miss these fast 1.5sec heals like Flashheal or Lesser healing Wave. this lack of burstpotential needs to be compensated with your movement -> you could either try to counterheal a r14 geared ms warrior (lol), take him out with roots if outdoors, or simply kite him in travel form.
in warsong you are most likely expected to be carrying the enemy flag for the reasons mentioned above; with a proper resto-bear spec you are one furry, sprinting bulwark which is THE fc spec per se.

all in all restoration is an icredible druid spec and i am having loads of fun with it. nevertheless you should look at the pve and pvp performance seperatly, but this surely is the case with all classes. the reason i am bringing this up is the expected flexibility from playing a hybrid class like a druid. in a raid environment as a resto speced druid your task will be to keep people up, nothing else. if you were let's say switching to feral gear to offtank some heavy trash or whatever you will immediatly realize that you are not speced for this. if you are searching for this said versatility i'd recommend playing pvp as resto, where you can unpack your whole arsenal of useful utilities.

so far,
xxx

Druid more or less is like shaman and paladin for the 90% of ppl in servers: if ure not healer ure useless.

Personally i raided back in time (2005) as balance and had lot of fun (remember there is no dps race in vanilla except some fight boss have no enrage timers [not all])

Feral: worst spec for PVE but nice in pvp. got high burst and mobility. 5% free melee crit and faerie fire (feral) drives rogues crazy [something you should try!]

Balance: ppl say it is useless. i leave here a screen. Look whos first in dps...

http://i.imgur.com/0M9hqoc.jpg

guide for moonkin pve here: http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/81946-moonkin-naxx-raider-1115-amalogsetc/

let pro players talk (90% of ppl never tried to raid as balance and judge it)

resto: nice healing BUT REMEMBER unlike wotlk healing in vanilla are mostly direct (rejuv is not so popular).
i leave a resto guide for u here

nah man, after AQ, you can outdps things like hunters, sh priest and whatnot. I mean as feral. Just based on that, not only the worst spec, but worst class pve definetly hunter.

In vanilla disc/holy spec priest could dps very well and achieve very great dps if there was a Ret pally. The biggest block against any spec in vanilla is the lack of set gear itemized for the role you want to play. That and the lack of debuff slots.

Top Bottom