• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What about 'No Battlegrounds' at launch?

No battlegrounds the first couple months?

• Yay

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 57 71.3%

• Total voters

Rerun

Hello guys and girls,

So I was reading through that whole "BG command thread" and for some reason I was thinking
why not make battlegrounds unavailable the first month or two? Like in vanilla patch 0.0.0.1 :p

I think it would negate the duality in the forums a bit about the whole BG command/Innkeeper BG thing atleast for now. And perhaps when the first batch of players are 60 or near 60; like I said in a month or two, maybe three for fun; then you can release the BG's and just let the Battle Masters be in the main cities.

By then Im sure, IF theres a fresh stream of players coming in every now and then, that the BG command won't even be necessary. Plus, I dont think its that hard from the dev's pov to just not have Battlegrounds implemented. Remove the Battle Masters, and implement no other way to queue. Make the portals at Ashenvale, Arathi etc. unusable for that period. No big deal.

Besides, think of THE WORLD PVP :wub: If there aren't any BGs people will have to fight one another in the world.
Immersion anyone? Yay or nay?

Last edited:
No offense, but this is by far the dumbest suggestion I've seen here. Extra points for actually meaning it, unlike some troll suggestions about flying mounts and stuff.

Not as dumb as the key-to-everywhere-for-more-immersion suggestion, but it came close to it...

Last edited:
After many years not playing this game the way I remember pvp in WoW is this: BG pvp > World pvp and Low lvl pvp > High lvl pvp (without twinks mostly).

I share with OP the worry of early pvp in a not completely full and organized server but I still think low lvl pvp is the best pvp you can ever have in this game and Battlegrounds is definitely the place to do it, we would be denying a truly great experience.

Hm, having no BGs wouldn't really change anything (compared to the default config) at low lvl, since low lvl BGs don't really ever happen. What would change is the lvl 60 experience, and on that point, I can't really express myself since I've never played vanilla without BGs. But while I do find the idea interesting (I've always wanted to see how WoW looks like without BGs) I guess I have to trust the opinion of pretty much everyone else when they say vanilla PvP became a lot better with BGs.

If the idea of not having BGs at launch had been proposed way earlier in dev it could have been considered. Maybe it would have attracted more people wanting to experience pure, 100% wPvP. But since we're pretty close to launch it's probably too late to try such a daring move, we'd need to carefully poll the community first.

But you know, that makes me wonder.... Maybe, say, one week per month (or maybe less) without BGs could be fun. You know, as a kind of world event. It'd invite people to try out WPvP more, make the server more dynamic. I definitely think such an event should be considered once the server is launched. Besides, there's not a single thing easier to organise: remove BMs for a week, and go.

There's still going to be plenty of world PvP. That's the beauty of Vanilla. If you want to do anything out in the open world, you're going to be in danger.

But you know, that makes me wonder.... Maybe, say, one week per month (or maybe less) without BGs could be fun. You know, as a kind of world event. It'd invite people to try out WPvP more, make the server more dynamic. I definitely think such an event should be considered once the server is launched. Besides, there's not a single thing easier to organise: remove BMs for a week, and go.

It really wouldn't change anything in terms of world pvp, there is not much incentive to do it. No rep gain, no gear gain, no xp gain and honor gain/hour is very slim.

It really wouldn't change anything in terms of world pvp, there is not much incentive to do it. No rep gain, no gear gain, no xp gain and honor gain/hour is very slim.

Yeah I know... What people don't realise is that what hurts Wpvp the most is actually the vanilla honor system that they praise so much. Usually, the best way to trigger a large scale wpvp conflict is to go raid some town or village and wait for the opposite faction to react. But because of Dishonorable Kills, most people actually avoid those fights because it hurts their pvp standing too much. I've heard of people instantly leaving raid groups because someone had killed one or two civilians by accident using AoEs. This makes triggering wpvp fights a lot harder.

That's why on Feenix I try to actually not really care about DKs.... PvP rewards are pretty lame untill you get to the highest ranks anyway, and that requires giving up one's life and soul. Besides, killing NPCs is fun and more immersive.

But still, I think removing BGs for a few days from time to time would be a nice experiment.

Last edited:
No way!
Low lvl BG's without twinks is the best it gets!!!
That's when you really need skill and luck (in PuG, hope you don't get saddled with total newbs) :laugh:

Low lvl BG's without twinks is the best it gets!!!

Yeah I fully agree, low lvl's the point where you don't have a huge rift of power between geared and non-geared people, everyone's more or less vaguely geared. Besides, gear indeed doesn't matter that much when everyone dies so fast.

It's actually a pretty damn good suggestion, but what has to be done is not releasing without battlegrounds, but releasing without ranking system. Let people PvP for fun at least for first couple of months When you got the ranking system, you got rewards for it, so you got faggots who pvp solely to get them, who PvP to get higher rank, not to have fun.

These are the people who whine when AV starts lasting more than 30 minutes, these are the people who would rather dodge premades than spend time making one of their own and beating the other faction in a difficult fight, these are the people who will sit the entire day in battlemaster room waiting for WSG/AB/AV to pop, and then get upset when the other faction invades their capital city and kill em, so they don't even ressurrect until their pvp tag falls off. During my stay on ED, I've met people who made it to r13 or even r14 while actually hating PvP and/or being absolutely terrible at it. They didn't do it because they enjoyed killing other faction. They did it for epics. These people are absolute fucking cancer, and this server would do itself a great favor by holding off release of the PvP system at least for a short while.

It's actually a pretty damn good suggestion, but what has to be done is not releasing without battlegrounds, but releasing without ranking system. Let people PvP for fun at least for first couple of months When you got the ranking system, you got rewards for it, so you got faggots who pvp solely to get them, who PvP to get higher rank, not to have fun.

10/10 would endorse, but this will never happen on this server.

Yeah, I also agree that the PvP system in vanilla is terrible. But if we start modifying such important features it'll scare off a lot of people so.... Sometimes, we have to shake hands with the Devil.

Yeah, I also agree that the PvP system in vanilla is terrible. But if we start modifying such important features it'll scare off a lot of people so.... Sometimes, we have to shake hands with the Devil.

Nobody is saying anything about modifying. Vanilla didn't have either battlegrounds or honor system on release, there would be nothing wrong with releasing this server without them.

Not in support of this. It's rather unnecessary to exclude BGs because they didn't exist day one. There will be plenty of potential new players turned off by this too if it were the case.

I find that there are always a small group of players that want to replicate Vanilla as much as possible, including right down to the most accurate release schedule, the old itemization of gear, the lack of addons and even the actual patches (this is not possible ofc). The problem is, even if the stars aligned and all of this was matched, the playerbase won't be.

Not in support of this. It's rather unnecessary to exclude BGs because they didn't exist day one. There will be plenty of potential new players turned off by this too if it were the case.

I find that there are always a small group of players that want to replicate Vanilla as much as possible, including right down to the most accurate release schedule, the old itemization of gear, the lack of addons and even the actual patches (this is not possible ofc). The problem is, even if the stars aligned and all of this was matched, the playerbase won't be.

If someone wants this, they can check out Nostalrius. Not advertising it, but they're starting at patch 1.4 or earlier I believe....I can't remember the exact one.

You know why all of that got changes till 1.12.1? CAUSE IT SUCKED
Give the PvPers their BGs, at least they will leave you alone in open world for that time.

Give the PvPers their BGs, at least they will leave you alone in open world for that time.

Exactly ^^
I can already see players being frustrated and ganking the hell out of each other making questing not fun in some areas :laugh:

If someone wants this, they can check out Nostalrius. Not advertising it, but they're starting at patch 1.4 or earlier I believe....I can't remember the exact one.

They only change around 400 items, of which 200 are pvp items and sets which will not change much pve-wise. Only people stuck behind nostalgia goggles get excited about that. The difference between patch 1.4 and 1.12 is much bigger than that, but it sounds good from a marketing perspective.

In patch 1.4 the pvp ranking system wasn't even introduced. Tier 2 still dropped in molten core. Talent trees weren't buffed. Class balance was a joke. UBRS was a 15 man instance until patch 1.10. There was no attunement quest for molten core yet so you were supposed to get 40 man into molten core by the entrance that is inside blackrock depths. Thorium point was only added in patch 1.5 so no flight point there for alliance. Also, compared to 2005, people play the game 10 times better.

Will this make molten core harder? 5% harder.

Will it waste dev resources? yes

If Kronos would do this they would be screaming it is a custom fun server. It doesn't make sense to do this if you are running patch 1.12.

Last edited:
Top Bottom