• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Additional custom PVP (ranking) gear

Liebe

The problem:

You can spam BGs to obtain solid PVP gear (blues with lots of stamina and epics later on) if you play the right spec. If you aren't playing the right spec, you have to spam PVE for months to obtain comparable gear that works for your spec.

Examples:

- Disc priest. Go shadow or PVE all day.
- Any other hybrid. Your PVP gear is somewhat usable at best and retarded at worst. Go PVE, bitch.

Solution:

- Create custom PVP honor-earned gear for specs that are missing it.

Benefit:

- More specs PVP-ing, more people PVP-ing. More variety, more interesting-fun game.

Loss:

- None, all other specs retain their PVP gear, all new PVP gear is on par with the old.

Ponies:

- Yay ^^.

MUH RETAIL *FOAMS AT MOUTH*:

- This is 2014 private server scene m8, it's about improving the original game while retaining the gameplay as it was. No one is going to do anything that hasn't happen on retail, it'll just be simpler for them. You can still play whatever you like and even try some new specs.

Your opinion:

- Please tell me what you think of this suggestion, all comments are welcome!

Last edited:
No,just no. The game is fine as it is, and I honestly don't consider that such a big issue that they need to create custom gear, which I am also totally against. Sorry mate, but I think it's best to not create custom things in the game.

Examples:

- Disc priest. Go shadow or PVE all day.
- Any other hybrid. Your PVP gear is somewhat usable at best and retarded at worst. Go PVE, bitch.

The PvP sets usually have more stamina then the PvE sets. For PvP I would never even replace the R10 set unless I got alot T2 items.

You could make a simillar case for pretty much any custom non-blizzlike addition that you'd like to see here. And if they added the first one, they'd be forced to add/consider all of the others. For that reason, this has 0% chance of happening. Which is a good thing. (not even considering if this specific idea is good or not)

I'm not against tweaks that improve the original game without affecting its original gameplay.
Like for example BG queueing at innkeepers for lvl 10-59.
But I disagree on custom gear, it's impossible to balance.
And of all projects Kronos aims to be as blizzlike as possibl so I wouldn't get my hopes up

it's about improving the original game while retaining the gameplay as it was.

That sentence alone could be argued that it contradicts itself. Customization implies an inherent change of gameplay, it would literally affect how people play or results of pvp combat.

There's a good way to exemplify this: Remember all those rare moments where your character was left with 10 or even 1hp? And you won, it was really close but you won. Had you or the other guy be wearing a different piece of gear - say customized - with 1 less stat point of Stamina, the result would have been very different.

Won't happen.

Custom items? Horrible idea. Game is fine as it is, every PvP set is good or at least decent for the class using it for PvP, it's just that some classes also benefit from those items in PvE as well. If you wanna play the game where every spec is viable both in PvP in PvE, you can go and buy WoD right now.

Custom items? Horrible idea. Game is fine as it is, every PvP set is good or at least decent for the class using it for PvP, it's just that some classes also benefit from those items in PvE as well. If you wanna play the game where every spec is viable both in PvP in PvE, you can go and buy WoD right now.

This 100%

The answer is no. It's unacceptable. Customizing the game, implementing "minor, innocent features" here and there is the beginning of the end. Never bow to ideas such as these.

If you don't embrace vanilla exactly how it is, it might not just be the game for you. Customizing and implementing features like these will do only one thing; backfire.

I like your idea, OP, and I agree it's a step in solving the vanilla gear problems for many classes with desired PvP specs. The problem is that I don't agree that the strength of the solution for the problem outweighs the removal of the overall Classic gameplay experience that the server staff is aiming for, and that most players are wanting from the server.

You could make a simillar case for pretty much any custom non-blizzlike addition that you'd like to see here. And if they added the first one, they'd be forced to add/consider all of the others. For that reason, this has 0% chance of happening. Which is a good thing. (not even considering if this specific idea is good or not)

Actually, the 10 gold respec hardcap is a really good example of the server staff implimenting a non classic game element. So the door is open for other changes as well. The big thing is that the 10 gold cost hardcap solves 2 very real problems - the fact that proper respec cost decay is usually borked on a private server, and that a new private server experiences low population numbers for a good part of its lifespan. This reduces people getting into formed BG's, which reduces the PvP attraction to the server for competitive players, etc. The respec cost change is a huge step in addressing that one.

The upcoming generation of private servers understands that, as I said, improvements that don't affect the (endgame) gameplay itself can only improve the experience. The rest, well, there are tons of 200 population vanilla servers out there, each of them the best, most real and true.

Say, you want to be a powerful mage or a rogue that PWNS everything. With the improvements I propose everything stays exactly the same for you - you still get all the gear from PVP, and you still get to enjoy all vanilla PVP mechanics, such as they are. But it will make the game easier for your disc priest friend, who can now get real gear with +healing and mp5, and it will make a difference for all the hybrids - resulting in more people participating in PVP and more bodies for you to PWN with your impressive skills, since skill is what vanilla PVP is all about, right.

My suggestion literaly only improves the game. I geared both an ele shaman and a balance druid on the largest vanilla server there is, geared them for PVP, and you really have to be near-retarded to do it, it just takes so much time and energy. I won't ever do it again for that reason, but it would still be nice to play on Kronos ... or I suppose I'll just make a shadow priest, since, you know, the game actually provides a real PVP set for them.

As far as balance and elemental goes you could simply copy the gear mages/locks have while changing the armor type to leather/mail. In either case those custom blue items would have the same amount of item points.

The only "negative" impact of this change could be seeing more hybrids and healers, which will be present anyway, but in a smaller amount since gearing them requires tons of PVE.

EDIT: Think about the times you were ranking and had problems finding a druid FC for your premade, someone motivated to nolife BGs with your team. Now those guys are given a reason to join you.

Last edited:
Kronos will have inexpensive respecc costs, I don't see the point. Just respecc when you want to PVP.

Can't believe I actually agree with Liebe. This is a huge flaw in vanilla and one of the reasons I'd much rather play TBC. I don't even play any classes suffering from this, I just think it's a retarded system and it's no fun beating players who can't utilize their character due to how horribly designed the game itself is.

I do. And I'm not asking for that gear to be added here either. But his argument is sound.

Those who are against my suggestion: please list one downside that would affect the actual gameplay.

Any elemental shaman can go raid as resto for a few months and then fry faces anyway. And they will.

Same goes for other specs.

Any elemental shaman can go raid as resto for a few months and then fry faces anyway. And they will.

Same goes for other specs.

This actually sounds like a counterargument against your appeal. If its so easy to get proper gear anyways why would you want to change the current PvP sets?

To your request:
The PvP gears are fine as they are. Adding more sets would benefit some classes more then others.

There is a reason the PvP sets don't have as much +heal as PvE gear.
There is a reason the shaman set is not designed towards elemental.

On a sidenote. YOU want something. Then it should be YOU bringing good points in favor of your suggestion instead of us bringing points against it.

Nobody said its about improving the original game. Its about recreating the original feeling from vanilla. Take your retarded suggestions somewhere else.

Sadly most of population will be people with not that much experience about 1.12 , so costum stuff will not happen :(

while will be awersome to have some general bad stuff of 1.12 corrected

There is a reason the PvP sets don't have as much +heal as PvE gear.
There is a reason the shaman set is not designed towards elemental.
Yes, that reason is poor fucking game design. Don't kid yourself, Vanilla was unpolished as fuck and even TBC wasn't that polished yet. You just don't notice how much Wrath polished up these flaws, because they also turned the game uttlery fucking casual-friendly at the same time.

So generalizing all classes and catering to every niche spec is a better design? Get the fuck out please.

Why would anyone here want custom PvP gear?
Liebe, you are asking for a reason I guess. Which spec do you plan to roll where the PvP set is shit for?

So generalizing all classes and catering to every niche spec is a better design? Get the fuck out please.

Liebe, you are asking for a reason I guess. Which spec do you plan to roll where the PvP set is shit for?

i guess all offspec which cant be played without a very hardcore raiding for a lot of special item :D

Yes, that reason is poor fucking game design. Don't kid yourself, Vanilla was unpolished as fuck and even TBC wasn't that polished yet. You just don't notice how much Wrath polished up these flaws, because they also turned the game uttlery fucking casual-friendly at the same time.

Totally agree. It's funny, because pretty much all of the vanilla patches were aimed at polishing up their game. If vanilla lasted longer, you would have had more patches polishing it.

For this reason, among others, private servers use patch 1.12.1. It is the most polished patch. Using this patch alone is not blizzlike, because delivering a blizzlike vanilla server is to first deliver a turd, and polish it as much as you can into a flower.

Nobody really wants a blizzlike vanilla server.

So basically you're implying I want custom PvP gear (although I said I don't) and you actually think giving every class gear for each spec, as opposed to one set that is utter garbage in every spec, which on their own are already useless as fuck due to bad game design, is the same as "generalizing all classes and catering to every niché spec"? But I'm the one who needs to get the fuck out?
I'm sorry, but there is only one person who is delusional between the two of us, and it's not me.

Top Bottom