• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Alterac Valley version

in 1.12.1 the maps are client based so to get the old 1.8 AV map you would need to make a new 1.12.1 client with the old AV map and then adjust the server with the old AV.

ED did not do this however they made a stunt where they did some non-blizzlike adjustments here & there and posed it as the old AV.

It is a publicity stunt similar to nostrils who first claimed to stress test with 5000 players although it was scripted character's which took the same as a normal npc which is nowhere close to an actual player, this stunt went well since many believed it but they had to soon ask for money since their servers could not live up to expectations and still are unsatisfactory with delay & non-blizzlike stunts.

publicity stunts are aimed towards the majority who follows like lemmings even if what they hear sounds too good to be true, i am quite happy that kronos does not do any such stunts for publicity even if they could use it. I came to kronos for the quality and they deliver it in pristine 1.12.1 quality without cutting corners with publicity stunts.

I will recieve the 1.12.1 AV map with open arms even if the map's landscape favors the alliance slightly it does not matter that much since the horde has the bonus of being able to hunt & slay gnomes as much as they want :wink:

not to mention the map was incredibly imbalanced pre 1.12 - hell, its even imbalanced at 1.12

And apart from a few additional NPCs that spawn its pretty much the same, so why implement a map that favors one side? Oh and to all those people stating "1.12. is just a rush to the boss", good luck trying to kill the bosses w/o tapping/destroying bunkers and towers, they're gonna twoshot your tanks...
You'll see there's plenty of things to do in AV 1.12 version

They think it is the same version that Pandarian and WoD has...

Guys, discussion about map shape is irrelevant. Map is client sided problem and if you want old map, you must first develop client patch with the old one and distribute it to ALL players on Kronos.

Alright, although what Feenix did was just custom adjustments which they announced as "the old AV", Chero told me it would be technically feasible to extract AV files from the 1.8 client and implement them to the current 1.12.1 version, the main reason why they won't be doing it is because that would not be legal (?).

Again, what I'd like to stress is that the majority of old school players (maybe the sheer majority of players) is fond of their memories of the old pre-nerf BG and would love to experience that version of AV, where battles were really epic and could last for hours and hours. I think I can safely say that, no matter what kinda poll you're going to have, pre-nerf AV will always turn out being the BG of choice for anyone who played it back in the day. It would be amazing if a server like Kronos would be able to provide such a feat, since not only could everyone experience it, but it would certainly live up to the quality standards we're getting used to here. Needless to say however, should they decide not to take this opportunity, never mind. It would be an epic addition to the realm, nevertheless.

P.S.: I don't believe "noobs that never played retail" would be interested in this subject to begin with. Pre-nerf AV is obviously only cherished by those who had the chance to play it. ;)

AAgain, what I'd like to stress is that the majority of old school players (maybe the sheer majority of players) is fond of their memories of the old pre-nerf BG and would love to experience that version of AV, where battles were really epic and could last for hours and hours.

Battles in old school Alterac Valley? I'd be farming those Syndicate agents and getting that all seeing eye from the icetroll cave. The day the "new" map launched I logged in unknowingly to farm some mobs before raid and heard everybody hyping about a streamlined piece of shit map. Biggest disappointment of wow :biggrin:

In all fairness though, I'm still in favour for having everybody who joins the battleground to be automaticly invited into the same group. Cool kids never invited me in AV back then :crying:

Guys, discussion about map shape is irrelevant. Map is client sided problem and if you want old map, you must first develop client patch with the old one and distribute it to ALL players on Kronos.
^^
This.
I'd also like to mention that staff would never do anything like this simply because it takes too much efforts, including those which reverts their previous job. So poll shows nothing. Maybe a lot of people would like to see that "prenerf" thing indeed. But it's like asking "would you like to see all quests working flawlessly on Kronos?". Of course the answer is "yes", but the next question is - how much of a developer's time it will take and how much content release will be slowed because of it. We'd all like to have a developers as a slaves who're fixing 24/7, but... :D

Alterac Valley is going to be released as it was on patch 1.12.1.

First of all - technical limitation. If we would like to have "pre-nerf" Alterac Valley, it would require custom game patching that we won't do, ever. This would require EVERY player to patch his game, which could be a big drawback for potential and current players.

Second - lack of sources. We know there are patchnotes, however NPC positions, mini-events, and anything where "text proof" is not enough requires screenshots and videos.

I believe games lasted so long, because 40 unorganized people did not know what to do and what to fight. I also believe, if we would have "pre-nerf" AV, it would not last for several days.

Old Alterac Valley was designed for earlier patches, where you had different itemization, talents, spells.
I'm afraid that this would cause imbalance or something unseen might happen.

Last edited:
Well, the popular "rush" tactic in AV came up in TBC where honor was currency and AV was the best place where to farm it (it was like 5k honor per hour?).

If we want AVs to last long, older versions of it will not do it for us. It's up to players how to play it and if both sides prefer rush over PvP, then you can do nothing about it. The only thing that comes to my mind is adding some kind of honor reward for time spent in BG to compensate time spent there. But it can backfire.

Well, the popular "rush" tactic in AV came up in TBC where honor was currency and AV was the best place where to farm it (it was like 5k honor per hour?).

If we want AVs to last long, older versions of it will not do it for us. It's up to players how to play it and if both sides prefer rush over PvP, then you can do nothing about it. The only thing that comes to my mind is adding some kind of honor reward for time spent in BG to compensate time spent there. But it can backfire.
pretty much this

and why did they change their playstyle to strictly rushing the enemys "warchief" and so ending the game in like 20 minutes?

while the items the players had became stronger and stronger, theyve also done these changes to AV:

Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10):
- A great avalanche has closed off both the eastern and western segments of Alterac Valley. This has displaced the Syndicate, the Wildpaw Gnolls, and many of the Winterax Trolls.
- Due to the avalanche, Korrak the Bloodrager and a small band of surviving Trolls have made the Snowfall Graveyard their new home. Players will find that Snowfall is now under Korrak's control and they must defeat Korrak and his Troll guards if they wish to take Snowfall.
- NPC difficulty has been scaled down. All NPCs have had their power reduced by 15-30%.

Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28):
- Korrak the Bloodrager and his band of trolls have packed up their bags and left Alterac Valley for greener pastures.

Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20):
- Most of the NPC guard units have been removed.
- Players now drop more quest items.
- Creatures that remain in Alterac Valley have had their hit points reduced.

ive played the 1.12.1 version on another vanilla x1 private server and it was utterly crap. games ended within 10-20 minutes most of the time so i would actually not care about what the devs would do to with the 1.12.1 version at all, cause it couldnt become much worse imo.

Last edited:
You can always invent a time machine a go back in time...

But seriously, people from 2015 will shit on "old AV" like they shit on Ragnaros. Even if it were possible to recreate that "old AV" I wouldn't expect any days long battle. I bet some of those guilds out there would make some premades and shit on your beloved memories...

Yes Revo, weaker NPCs and less guards. What would change reverting those nerfs for two groups of players with attitude "Don't fight oposite faction and go for the boss as quickly as possible."? Nothing. They may stop on some points to fight harder guards, but with 40 players, it will not prolong the battle much.

If they did revert it to pre-1.8 it would have very few pro's compared to consequences.

Pros:
-old players who remember the old AV will enjoy it.

Con:
-every player who joined after 1.8 will see it either as a bug or non-blizzlike AV version
-Less AV marks over longer time
-Longer fights increase the likelyhood of players going passively afk where they hide and every few min jump or cast a buff since they want the marks & rep but they want a break yet wont get all the way back in the que resulting in a major disadvantage for your faction but people will still do it depending on a fights lenght.
-players from different servers will get wierd bugs due to their old wtf folder which most forget to delete.
-developers spending a lot of time on adding this custom change instead of using the time on actual bugs.

note: i remember the old 1.8 but i do not consider it important enough to face all these conditions for that one positive that only affects a limited group of players.

The only non-1.12.1 changes i approve of are repairs such as the fix so you cannot blink through doors or so the system detects hacks that 1.12.1 didnt or fixing boss pathing such as Hydrospawn who in 1.12.1 was kiteable due to a bug in pathing such as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RqTEmUjLI or addition/fix/improvements to API's allowing addon makers to improve addons to be less memory consuming or more accurate. But i am not a supporter of a whole map changing to a previous state just becourse of us few who experienced and enjoyed the long fights since there are many who disliked those long fights which is why blizzard changed it. :wink:

Remember the days when there were no bg marks?
or when AV rep was gained by killing other players + turnins?
or the landmines? :biggrin:
or the Alliance stronkhold?:wub:

"Most people in Alterac Valley are (or were) there to loot corpses and gain faction rather then actually kill people ;)"

"After we took the mine, we went back up north to the front line which was at the time near a flat open area in the center of the map. As I understand it, there are landmines all around this area and in order to get rid of them, Horde players have to kill a boss who hangs out in or near one of the bastions just to the north of this field."

"The server I'm on (Terenas) is quite small, with an even smaller population of keep PvPers. We only manage to get AV up and running once a week. (Tuesday nights for anyone that's interested.) The scenario always seems to be the same. We (the Horde) always do quite well for the first five or six hours before fatigue kicks in and our numbers dwindle until we're pushed back to our base with maybe fifteen people left in the instance."

"The Alliance can hold that bridge essentially indefinitely with relatively rudimentary tactics. I'd think the Horde would need to simultaneously arrange an assault with a shredder, Lokholar, and a cavalry or commando charge to break a concerted Alliance defence."

For anyone interested:

05-13-2005 07:27 AM
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/printthread.php?tid=6377

07-12-2005, 04:35 AM

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-6060.html

Top Bottom