• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Bear tanking basics?

ace151slayer

So I'm going to probably tank some 5 man's along the way.

I just was curious of any tips anyone had. For example I've seen druids load up every possible HoT before shifting into bear and pulling. Is this standard if so why? Just for extra initial heals?

I just was curious of any tips anyone had. For example I've seen druids load up every possible HoT before shifting into bear and pulling. Is this standard if so why? Just for extra initial heals?

I'm in no way experienced with druid tanking but as for the Hot thing, the heal helps + the aggro gen from the heals help as well.

What i loved about the earlier versions of the game is that Swipe would break sheeps and other crowd control. You actually had to position your character to face the right way to avoid it.

Eventually too many people complained that it was too hard and it was changed. Though i did not have time to test it out in the beta. I hope its the old way that requires skill to tank.

Because agro, HoTs do some extra agro and take it away from the real healer, which, in case u get dodged/parried/miss you get some agro from the mobs, still, a crit from the healer and good bye agro xD and then hilarity issues :biggrin:, also, since u only have dodge as a tank mechanism you need those hots when the mob starts whit a crushing blow or a huge ass crit...:sad:

I have done a LOT of bear tanking in pre Burning crusade retail. Here's the first few things that spring to mind.

You should enter an instance being ready to tank only if you are confident with your gear and your current level. As a small rule of thumb, a feral druid is going to tank instances about 1 to 1.5ish full levels worse than a warrior of any spec that has a shield and the right gear + macros ready to use. Bears tank worse due to no parry or shield block, that last one being huge. If you're prepared for that, it's all good.

On a trash pull of 2-3 targets you might as well save mana and not bother with the pre casting of the Heal over Time spell combo of Regrowth + Rejuenation. On a pull of 4 or more, god yes, use them. The risky way to do it is cast Wrath at max distance of your primary target, cast Regrowth on yourself while backing up 3-4 steps, finish with Rejuv, wait for cooldown to finish, and shift to bear just in time to deal with what's charging you. The trick is to complete your shift just before you are struck, because it defeats the purpose if you're being hit 2+ times while still in humanoid form with crappy leather AC.

Doing this will generate a LOT of aggro from all mobs wanting to fight, as the Regrowth + Rejuv healing threat is starting up right around the time the Wrath is landing and waking them up. Your group healer should have no problems staying defended for the first half of the fight, easily.

Aside from that, use macros so that one key is used for more than one thing so it's much, much easier to keep track of in a fight.

I'm a traditional WSAD (A&D strafe) movement key player due to decades of playing games that way, so it's how it goes. This is my macro bound to E.

start auto attack, queue maul, cast feral faerie fire if it's off of cooldown. my auto attack ability is in the last slot of my second right hand ability bar. Feral Faerie Fire is in slot 10 of that bar, 2 slots up from the auto attack.

/script if not IsCurrentAction(48) then AttackTarget();end
/script local a=GetActionCooldown(46); if a==0 then CastSpellByName('faerie fire (feral)()') else CastSpellByName('maul');end

This one casts Enrage if it's off of cooldown, and Growl otherwise. It also puts me into auto attack. Enrage is the 11th slot down on my 2nd right hand side action bar.

/script local b=GetActionCooldown(47); if b==0 then CastSpellByName('enrage') else CastSpellByName('growl');end

General purpose leveling cat fighting macro: starts autoattack, checks if the target is bleeding from a Rake, applies it if it is not bleeding from a Rake, checks combo points, uses Rip when it's at 3 or more points or uses Claw otherwise.
You can change the combo point number easily to whatever you want, and swap out Rip for Ferocious Bite and/or Claw for Shred. I use 2 macros for different situations.

/script if not buffed('rake', 'target') then CastSpellByName('rake');end
/script if GetComboPoints()>=3 then CastSpellByName('rip') else CastSpellByName('claw');end

The next one is for my opener attack. It's self explanatory.

/script if buffed('prowl') then CastSpellByName('pounce') else CastSpellByName('faerie fire (feral)()');end

The last one is for putting me in and out of Prowl, unless I'm in combat in which case it casts Cower.

/run if UnitAffectingCombat('player') then CastSpellByName('cower') else CastSpellByName('prowl');end

I hope these help. For several of these, you WILL need to use the Supermacro addon.

Last edited:
Awesome post Skosh. Using that info while tanking now and it is working very good.

As for your 'general purpose leveling cat fighting macro', is it possible to add the option to cast faerie fire (feral) if the target is not debuffed with it yet? How would i do this?

Thank you again!

I'm glad it helped. I normally conform to the 255 character limit with macros, even though Supermacro works past that. So I'm not sure how I'd work in a feral faerie fire cast for a cat attack macro. Feral Faerie fire has a somewhat strong threat hit to it for an NPC's aggro, and it's not the kind of spell I'd want to spam in PvE as a cat.

I normally have the 'pounce / faerie fire' macro bound to my T key, and just punch it when I need it.

Another problem: with the FF+maul+autoattack macro, i always pop out of bearform if i spam it. Any idea how to fix this? I used supermacro to create it and i put "attack" and feralFF on the correct actionslots.

Another problem: with the FF+maul+autoattack macro, i always pop out of bearform if i spam it. Any idea how to fix this? I used supermacro to create it and i put "attack" and feralFF on the correct actionslots.

Strange. I'm not really certain as I don't actually use the Supermacro text box or functions when I make a macro. I simply use the game's native UI for macro making and stay within the stock 255 character limit. I DO have Supermacro enabled as an addon, but don't do anything else with it.

I know the syntax of " CastSpellByName('faerie fire (feral)()') " is correct, as those closed parenthesis at the end are needed or it fails to cast the Feral version of faerie fire.

Top Bottom