• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Blizzard Vanilla Servers Petition?

Rerun

Hey guys and girls,

Not sure how legit this is, but I figured its worth a try!
Its a petition to be signed for all who are FOR Blizzard implementing Official Classic (Vanilla) Servers.

In this video it says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kjOfYcDEwA
"We have 76 supporters, i talked to a gm and they said they talked to the exec and they will look at it if we get 10,000 sigs to everyone spread the video!"

Right now 76 turned into 264 signatures.
I figured it wouldn't hurt signing it? Maybe theres something to it.

So here's the actual link to the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-entertainment-bring-back-vanilla-world-of-warcraft-servers-1-60

Cheers.

I think Blizzard has stated before that they have no intentions to ever release vanilla servers. Apparently they'd have to rescript most of the game. But mainly, I think, they want subcribers to be completely invested in the current version of wow so that they'll be more or less forced to buy future expansions and such. I doubt one GM will be able to change Blizzards mind.

edit:
And I just noticed that the petition is from march 2014...

Last edited:
I think Blizzard has stated before that they have no intentions to ever release vanilla servers. Apparently they'd have to rescript most of the game. But mainly, I think, they want subcribers to be completely invested in the current version of wow so that they'll be more or less forced to buy future expansions and such. I doubt one GM will be able to change Blizzards mind.

edit:
And I just noticed that the petition is from march 2014...

Blizzard doesn't exist to me anymore due to how they ruined WoW.

I'm waiting for some other developers to make a game similar to Vanilla, and no Wildstar isn't even close to that.
There was more to Vanilla than 40 man raiding.

You would think eventually a developer is going to take a look at the Vanilla model and get it right.

Signed it as well, cuz why not. I also remember the devs being very skeptical about it at Blizzcon though, but it doesn't hurt trying :smile:

The blues on the official board are pretty aggressive to the point of obnoxious when they respond about classic realms. I can kind of understand seeing as it says their current product isn't up to snuff.

From what I understand, Blizzard doesn't even have the coding/scripts from actual Vanilla WoW anymore (like Tugel said), so they'd have to basically rewrite the game...and yeah I can tell you what their response to that would be lol.

From what I understand, Blizzard doesn't even have the coding/scripts from actual Vanilla WoW anymore (like Tugel said)
Lolwhat? Are they crazy? What kind of a developer doesn't make a backup? o_O

Doesn't hurt trying [2]. Maybe that GM wasn't wasting words...

Lolwhat? Are they crazy? What kind of a developer doesn't make a backup? o_O

Doesn't hurt trying [2]. Maybe that GM wasn't wasting words...

I wonder what the subs would be if Blizz kept some Vanilla/TBC/Wrath servers live permanently?

I'd say in the 14-17 million range.

They made a big mistake.

I'm guessing they'll start considering oldschool servers once their subscriptions start to seriously drop or after they're done with their next few planned expansions. The private server scene will have to do until then :p

They will never release or support vanilla servers no matter how hard fans cry about it. That mean they admit that the game was better before and all they've done since is been worse and poor quality. That will never happen.

I'm guessing they'll start considering oldschool servers once their subscriptions start to seriously drop or after they're done with their next few planned expansions. The private server scene will have to do until then :p

I doubt it to be honest. Bet they'll just do a smart ''free to play'' model once that happens.

Last edited:
they'd find some way to fuck it up.

I agree. As doubtful as I am that they will ever release a vanilla server, but if they ever did I don't think it will be a 100% vanilla server. It would be a vanilla server with some "tweaks" I'm guessing, like removing the vanilla pvp system for one, even though I like it as it is.

Yeah I think the huge addiction inducing time sink vanilla was is not politically correct anymore...

I've never understood why the devs wouldn't keep the original assets of the game. What would be the reason? It's not like the code or scripts or configs take space? Unless someone explains to me, I'm still going to assume this is just conspiracy and Blizzard is bluffing to smother the demands. And in the future when WoW is old and dying and out of the scope they magically find something from their "former employees garage"...

Other half of me believes they seem to take the "if something is not polished enough, don't release" doctrine seriously, and they won't ever release even if they would have all the means.

Besides: They are a company, they make money. So they have hired programmers and scripters. I bet they can make from scratch better vanilla server than any private scene volunteer crew can.

Blizzard thinks that every change they make is genius. Reverting all those changes all the way to vanilla? I wouldn't count on it.

I've never understood why the devs wouldn't keep the original assets of the game. What would be the reason? It's not like the code or scripts or configs take space?
I will never believe that Blizzard have lost Vanilla server codes. They're not complete ****ts or novices, they can't just overwrite the whole game and several years of work!
Blizzard thinks that every change they make is genius. Reverting all those changes all the way to vanilla? I wouldn't count on it.
Following such a logic, they should never mention Warcraft III. They changed the strategy to the RPG, and that was ingenious, everything before was a mistake. That's not that simple. Vanilla and WoD are two completely different games, and Blizzards know that. There are some ideological problems indeed, but they can be avoided by stating something like "different people like different games".

From my point of view, Blizzards just don't want to bother and risk, don't want to advertise Vanilla again etc. My optimistic anticipation: they'll give old content codes for free, as a charity. To a sick kid who loves old games, maybe. Without official support, but to advertise themselves as "we care"-company. My heart refuses to believe that they will take the game away with them to their graves.

I will never believe that Blizzard have lost Vanilla server codes. They're not complete ****ts or novices, they can't just overwrite the whole game and several years of work!

Buddy, you're overestimating their competence :p

I found this neat post that sums up Blizzards stance on the matter: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7980168520#18

1. Blizz does not believe there are enough people interested in utilizing this idea long term to justify the various costs necessary to bring it about.

2. Blizz feels this idea is counter to the nature of MMO’s; non-progression equates to stagnation and eventual boredom.

3. The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced, with the newer data which was not saved (archived) for later reuse. It was over-written and destroyed. “There is no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes…” In keeping with the sentiment in expressed in #2, above, it’s gone, never to return. Even if it were “recoverable” by other means it would still require lengthy and expensive rewrite.

4. They have no plans or desire to recreate the original version from scratch. They refer to the notion of attempting to do so as “a logistical nightmare,”… and in keeping with their stance in #1, above the time, money and resources required are prohibitive and unjustified.

To paraphrase it all: “Too much cost, too little interest and it’s not what the game is about… we’re not doing it.”

Profit margin too small.
/thread

Yea basically that's it. Even is they had the code base from 8 years ago, it would take a lot of resources to bring a (quality) server alive, so they probably CBA spending that kind of money on a project that might not even be profitable for them.

Edit: And from a software engineer standpoint, I do understand that they don't want to waste time on that. Programmers who are working on the current version of WoW would be pissed off if they had to work on the 8 year old version of the code base, where probably countless functions do not exist, or interfaces are obsolete. So tl;dr is that it would be a nightmare to work on it, even if said programmer loves that project.

Last edited:
3. The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced, with the newer data which was not saved (archived) for later reuse. It was over-written and destroyed.
I'll never believe it [2]. Sadly, the summary is rather logical. But the absurdity (IMHO) of this №3 makes me feel more positive :) Sigh.
And from a software engineer standpoint, I do understand that they don't want to waste time on that. Programmers who are working on the current version of WoW would be pissed off if they had to work on the 8 year old version of the code base, where probably countless functions do not exist, or interfaces are obsolete. So tl;dr is that it would be a nightmare to work on it, even if said programmer loves that project.
That's why I hope they'll just sell/give somebody the whole Vanilla.

Last edited:
Top Bottom