• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Dark night

Would you like the night to be darker on Kronos?

• Total voters

nimeralos

Authorized
Hi,
I heard that there was a time when the night in WoW was really dark. Not sure if that was beta or not, but people say that in Duskwood at night it was hard to detect a mob within several yards... How about returning this cool realistic night to the game?

Last edited:
Bad idea, it wasn't a part of the Vanilla WoW after Release, only something made and abandonned in Alpha (maybe earlier). It was also planned to use torchs in order to increase visibility at night.

Hi,
I heard that there was a time when the night in WoW was really dark. Not sure if that was beta or not, but people say that in Duskwood at night it was hard to detect a mob within several yards... How about returning this cool realistic night to the game?

Throughout most of Vanilla the night was significantly darker than it is in retail nowadays, or ever since TBC/WOTLK and onwards.

That being said, I WANT DARK NIGHTS!!!
:greedy:

Let us not fool ourselves, Kronos is going to be a Vanilla server in 1.12.1 version, they will not implement old features wich have been removed before the Release. It is not a part of the Vanilla WoW but only an abandonned project like housing and many other things.

In my opinion it is not judicious to denature the game and also not primordial at this stage.

I voted "Darker, but not as dark as it was on the darkest retail". It's going to take a really good explanation for them to sink time into adding this feature & also balancing it. While turning down the light a little bit in Duskwood wouldn't hurt anyone. (Except those who fear spiders and the dark!)

Honestly no. No, no no. For 1 reason = downtime. I have to work in my regular daytime hours meaning i will play mostly in the evening/night.
If it's dark as in almost pitch black (" it was hard to detect a mob within several yards")

Then it will make it alot harder to lvl, and really just increase the difficulty. You may search longer for mobs/quest items, pull extra mobs = die etc.. All in all something i don't want..

Voted for darkest, but:
1. theres no way they will implement such thing.
2. It would affect US pretty heavy, due to eu server time

the dark night was something that is connected to the word "vanilla" since they took away the dark night around TBC

correct it was originally intended to be required a torch or lamp at night to see far but they scrapped it and reduced the darkness so players could see even without it but what players mean when they say dark night is the darkness that wow had until TBC since they later changed it so the night was as light as the day more or less while in vanilla there was a clear difference in the darkness rather than just a night sky.

current retail the only difference from day/night is the sky changing, in vanilla the game overall became darker except in dungeons.

Honestly no. No, no no. For 1 reason = downtime. I have to work in my regular daytime hours meaning i will play mostly in the evening/night.
If it's dark as in almost pitch black (" it was hard to detect a mob within several yards")

Then it will make it alot harder to lvl, and really just increase the difficulty. You may search longer for mobs/quest items, pull extra mobs = die etc.. All in all something i don't want..

Thats only Duskwood....
Not the rest of the world.

Vanilla has much darker nights than retail. That's how I like it. It's dark enough so you definitely know it's night.

I don't want alpha/beta darkness and torches implemented. :no:

The way Blizzard wanted to implement darker nights sounded really interesting, with a separate profession focused solely on surviving through the night and such. But this is MMO, not survival game, sadly, and I also severely doubt that admins would go out of their way to implement a mechanic Blizzard declined.

What people mean by "vanilla had darker nights" is the lighting changed brought on by cataclysm. Of course this should/will be as it was in vanilla, to make it anything else you would probably have to download at least parts of the cataclysm client.

The significantly darker nights of alpha, duskwood is often used as an example here, is an enitirely different story. Early in development blizzard experimentet with the players affecting the light levels of the game in a way that actually mattered, meaning you had to carry torches at night etc. IIRC there was even a secondary profession about crafting torches/lanterns/lighting fires but it was then incorporated into cooking when they realised forcing people to carry torches at night wouldnt be appreciated by all.
Implementing this would mean creating new original content and changing the game up completely, something that would require a lot of work and probably not be for the better.

this poll would be way more accurate if someone can provide a picture of dark and non dark

EDIT:found this
http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/a/img255/7386/lakeshirecomparison.jpg
im pretty sure everyone would vote for it being dark like it was if they saw this pic

THANK YOU!!
Thats exactly what this thread needed.

I do not doubt it will be like the image on the left.

It actually really pisses me off looking at it.
How AND WHY would you change night time into something so bright? The fuck is the idea behind all that. Lol the more I think back to vanilla while being on these forums the more I am certain I will never return to retail again. I won't even buy WoD.

Last edited:
Why don't you use SweetFX ? You can setup graphics to whatever you like more dark or more bright, sharpening etc. I personaly love wow with maximum sharpening ,armor details looks awesome.There's few pre-sets: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/42/ . Or you can make your own. HF.

How AND WHY would you change night time into something so bright? The fuck is the idea behind all that. Lol the more I think back to vanilla while being on these forums the more I am certain I will never return to retail again. I won't even buy WoD.

Many of the changes Blizzard has made to WoW over the years have left me asking that... WHY?! I don't even know if they have a logical response. The Night thing in particular is a real head scratcher.

Top Bottom