• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Shaman elemental shaman

izzadizzad

Is elemental shaman a valible raiding spec?
I keep hearing they suck because of their dps.
Can anyone give me some more info?

Thanks!

Dps isn't the problem, mana is. You don't offer any benefits over a mage who would take your raid spot like a shadow would, so most raids dont use eles.

Yes it sure is!
I guess i'll just have to deal with it and hope i find a guild willing to take an elemental shaman.

^lol

Yeah I think both manapool and dps are a problem though.
Not only will you run out of mana fairly quickly because your spells cost quite some mana, but the highest rank Lightning Bolt is pretty low compared to highest rank Frostbolt or w.e.
That doesn't really help.

And I think this is fair, eventhough its not nessecarly fun.
But a Shaman can heal, and can also melee in different specs.
A Mage for example cannot, they're pure dps classes. So its only fair that a class who can only do damage,
has a better damage output.

Dps isn't the problem, mana is. You don't offer any benefits over a mage who would take your raid spot like a shadow would, so most raids dont use eles.

Totems and curing bad stuff. Fight becomes a very small bit longer but you game raid utility and cleaning stuff. He better make friends with the feral druid and beg for his intervate on bust dps situations.

The real issue is the lack of debuff for Nature resistance meaning every class in raids synergizes well except you.

And no, it's not fair that DPS on hybrids is lower than pures, this has been debated to death. I'd take Iceblock over Nature Swiftness any day.

Ele faces some serious issues for raiding and it's generally considered the worst PvE hybrid spec.

-Low regen, no mana gain abilities
-No pushback resistance of any kind (catastrophic dps loss in any aoe fight like Vael)
-No effect from Curse of Elements/Shadow (That's an auto 10% damage loss + additional for any Nature res boss)
-Nothing unique to bring to the raid at all

This means Ele needs a lot of MP5 and Spell Pen (which is not easy to obtain) in order to dps, but they'll still be gimped from a lack of Spell Crit.

Ele could fly in MC/BWL farms (except Vael) and the 20-man raids ofc, but I would not take one to AQ40 or Naxx.

It is an amazing PvP spec tho, and isn't gear dependent to push out damage. Also when Naxx opens, there's a few pieces of Sham gear from trash that are fantastic, and there will be plenty of trash farm groups available.

And no, it's not fair that DPS on hybrids is lower than pures, this has been debated to death. I'd take Iceblock over Nature Swiftness any day.

PvE frost doesn't take Iceblock tho.. (unless you're the one Winter's Chill mage)

Trust me mate, what you re planing to do is a huge mistake, and a waste of time. Ive played shamans on all versions and expansions, and what I can tell you, I tried all possible gear/set combinations and talent builds, and no mather what you do, on 1.12.1 you will always suck as a dps compared to rogues and warriors as Enh, or mages and warlocks as Ele.
If you want to do some serious raiding, just go to restoration, and roll for elemental items also, to PvP with while raids are on cooldown. I was respecing twice a week back in ED. FTW!:biggrin: The 100 gold a week was worth tho, zaping alliance is fun.
Practicly, the only reason for a raid to bring an elemental shaman is if the shaman and the raid leader are very good irl or ingame friends, or the raid is heavily overgeared and they can clear even with 1 less DPS.
On the other hand, bringing ele/enh shamans, ballance/feral druids, arms warriors or retri paladins to a progression raid is a suicide.

On the other hand, bringing ele/enh shamans, ballance/feral druids, arms warriors or retri paladins to a progression raid is a suicide.

Difference is, all those other specs bring something unique to the table (aside from Arms but that doesn't matter). Enh brings improved Windfury/Str/Agi totems, Balance and Feral bring 3% crit buffs (Balance is esp great for your Fire Mage group if you're farming content that isn't fire-immune), Ret brings an additional blessing to the entire raid as well as a 20% stronger BoM... Elemental brings nothing but mediocre subpar dps. Blizz realized this and gave them Totem of Wrath in 2.0, a bit late but at least they got something unique.

Difference is, all those other specs bring something unique to the table (aside from Arms but that doesn't matter). Enh brings improved Windfury/Str/Agi totems, Balance and Feral bring 3% crit buffs (Balance is esp great for your Fire Mage group if you're farming content that isn't fire-immune), Ret brings an additional blessing to the entire raid as well as a 20% stronger BoM... Elemental brings nothing but mediocre subpar dps. Blizz realized this and gave them Totem of Wrath in 2.0, a bit late but at least they got something unique.

You are right, but those bonuses and buffs are not so important at all. 1 extra mage/warlock is beating the DPS bonus that a ballance druid would bring to 4 casters in the party, as well as an extra rogue/warr is beating the bonus improved totems would give and the leader of the pack aura.
In the end it all comes down to social relations:biggrin:If the guy with the non-standard spec. is a friend of your - bring him, if not, yell at him untill he respecs.:laugh:

Top Bottom