• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Fixing a night elf skin error

Pharaw

Authorized
And yes, it's an actual error - not just a matter of taste.

Open character creation. Make a female night elf. Pick the most purple skin you can find. Browse through the faces. Does anything look odd to you?

Well, it did to me. The face/color combination shown below is using the face texture from another skin color (the one left of it) - you see it very clearly on the ears. I noticed because I was remaking my retail hunter on a private server, and I just so happen to use these exact looks.

So I did some research, tried several downloads and found out that it was fixed in WotLK when higher resolution textures were added to the game. The original purple face texture doesn't exist in the vanilla/TBC files, so instead I lowered the resolution of the WotLK texture and added it to these game files using an MPQ editor.

I have been playing with this edit since the Kronos launch, and nothing has happened to my account, so I think it's safe to share it with those who care about minor details like these.

Download link (Dropbox)
Download link (Google)

The link gives you the file CharacterNightElfFemale02_08.rar (4.93 KB) - open and unpack it with WinRAR and place the patch-4.mpq file in YourVanillaWoWFolder\Data\

Last edited:
I could if I find out how.

I didn't make the fix with sharing in mind originally. :whistling:

Last edited:
To make a patch you have to (I'm assuming that you're familiar with Ladik's MPQ Editor since you patched the original files):
  • Create new MPQ archive named patch-<Number or Letter>.MPQ (example: patch-O.MPQ)
  • Put that archive in your /Data folder
  • Put your patched file(s) into archive, keeping the file structure exactly same as original (no need to put extra files, only re-create folders if necessary)
  • You're done.

Cheers, I'll take a look at this later or tomorrow and then put up a much smaller file. :)

Top Bottom