• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Focus Frame?

Akitos

Hey there, sorry if there is anything about this already, i've tried the search function but i haven't found anything, and on google i've only found addons that aren't working, or those who only provide a focus but no actual focus frame. So yeah, does anyone know a working focus frame addon?

Ugh.. Seriously? How are mages supposed to PvP properly lol? Sheeping without frame is np, but using cs properly is another story... ^^ If there isn't a way to get a focus frame, is there a way to see what spells are being casted by your focus target? I mean, the addon that puts a focus exists, it works just fine, but there is no frame for it. So how am i supposed to see what spell is being casted by my focus target, besides just guessing what it could be according to animation...^^

Ugh.. Seriously? How are mages supposed to PvP properly lol? Sheeping without frame is np, but using cs properly is another story... ^^ If there isn't a way to get a focus frame, is there a way to see what spells are being casted by your focus target? I mean, the addon that puts a focus exists, it works just fine, but there is no frame for it. So how am i supposed to see what spell is being casted by my focus target, besides just guessing what it could be according to animation...^^

That's why vanilla is so fun! It is difficult! :smile:

Good PvPers don't rely on those add ons; they watch casts with their animation and have use their intuition to fast switch target and interrupt :wink: It's all about practicing!

That's why vanilla is so fun! It is difficult! :smile:

Good PvPers don't rely on those add ons; they watch casts with their animation and have use their intuition to fast switch target and interrupt :wink: It's all about practicing!

That's so not true in many ways lol. In TBC for example it was impossible to be a top tier player without having to use focus frame. You simply cannot match the reactiontime of being able to CS without having to target your focus first. Sometimes you have to react way faster than you could switch targets, warlock resummon & NS come to mind. Also the lack of those addons don't make up for classic having simpler mechanics in general than TBC had. Classic PvP was mostly for fun and extremly unbalanced, it was never Blizzards intension to create a competitive PvP environment in Classic.

@Tarinas: Does this show more than just the spells of your current target? If so, then yes.

Taken from another vanilla server's forum. All credit goes to Vallan, the author.
Overview

Classic Focus is and Addon that allows you to set a focus. You can then cast directly on the focus or target the focus with a simple macro.

Usage

Setting your target as your focus.

HTML:
/focus

Setting a name as your focus.

HTML:
/focus Ragnaros

Clearing your focus

HTML:
/clearfocus

Casting on your focus

HTML:
/fcast Heal

Targeting your focus

HTML:
/tarfocus

Known Caveats
This addon attempts to target your focus by name. If, for example, you set your focus to a trash mob and there are many of them with the same name it may not cast or target on the mob your expect.

http://bit.ly/rPxILb

@Psojed: That's exactly the addon i've found myself and as i said, it provides a focus, but no focus frame. Thanks anyway :)

It would be possible to write a frame that looks exactly like your target frame and only gets updated when targeting the player or maybe if it's the target of any other unit (like your party, pet, raid, etc). You could even guess buffs/debuffs and casts based on combatlog. But that would be an incredible amount of work for basically useless "guessing" mechanics. And all that for fights that barely ever last longer than 20 seconds?

No thanks. I highly doubt anyone (me included) with the needed knowledge would be willing to write that for you without a high compensation fee. Same reason there's no interrupt bar. 30 second CS cd means you're dead after anyway

That's so not true in many ways lol. In TBC for example it was impossible to be a top tier player without having to use focus frame. You simply cannot match the reactiontime of being able to CS without having to target your focus first. Sometimes you have to react way faster than you could switch targets, warlock resummon & NS come to mind. Also the lack of those addons don't make up for classic having simpler mechanics in general than TBC had. Classic PvP was mostly for fun and extremly unbalanced, it was never Blizzards intension to create a competitive PvP environment in Classic.

@Tarinas: Does this show more than just the spells of your current target? If so, then yes.

The TBC example is valid, yes, but because it was on TBC! That expansion provided itself a focus mechanic. So, if you didn't use the focus, it's obvious you couln't react as fast as someone who do use it. I was talking about vanilla, where that mechanic is not included in the game mechanics. So, good PvPers in vanilla where actually very fast switching targets. And that was really hard to learn! And at least for me, very fun too.
I agree that classic PvP was mostly for fun and extremly unbalanced, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be competitive, just because doing that was not Blizzard's intention. People made it competitive :smile:

Vanilla PvP was by no means competitive, at least not under my definition. The Rank system was about time investment, not actual skill.

It was competetive on the events arrenged by the very players. Not by the game mechanics itself :wink:

Top Bottom