• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Mage Frost mage vs Hunter

Nolfavrel

Hi guys
Can anyone advise me with any tactics? I play with Frost mage and in every bg i have no chance against hunter. Just hunters pet almost kill me. My gear is not top, but isnt green. So what u mean, which spell use first, or who focus first (pet, hunter?)
Ty for help me :)

Hi guys
Can anyone advise me with any tactics? I play with Frost mage and in every bg i have no chance against hunter. Just hunters pet almost kill me. My gear is not top, but isnt green. So what u mean, which spell use first, or who focus first (pet, hunter?)
Ty for help me :)

Hunters can be tricky.
if they are not beastmaster i do the following:

Blink torwards them - nova - grenade - frostbold, cone of cold combo on hunter - spec improved arcane missles and missle/instant him to death for the last few %

try to stay in his dead zone and block/scull of impending doom his scatter shot/trap.

if the plan above does not work - nova - sheep pet - missles and instan casts

On beastmasters or overgeard hunters - no idea

abuse dead zone properly and avoid hardcasting

This. The trick with hunters is staying within that 3 yard deadzone where they can't shoot you, but can't melee/wing clip you either. Just eat pet damage with frost/mana shield or something, and do your best to stay within that deadzone while casting instants whenever possible.

Blink in like stated before. Fire blast to get it on cd. Dead zone them, if they are marks will have to iceblock thier cc shot.

When the pet gets near you, nova. Position yourself out of melee of pet, and in dead range of hunter. Then sheep the pet. You will have time for a frost bolt shatter crit, if it doesnt break, cone of cold, if it does, fire blast.

If it is one on one, i am an ass and kill their pet to lower their relationship levels.

If you have cold snap up, you should never lose, just hang out in the dead zone, your shields eat any damage during your blink.

And remember the value of rank 1 frost bolt when they try to run :) when it freezes them to the ground LoL

wouldn't rec mana shield. any hunter with a brain is gonna viper you, mana shield will oom you six seconds into the fight and then you'll be dead.

Ice Barrier (x2 with cold snap) will surely help here.

However being elemental for an extra instant (blastwave) could also help.

I think this fight is as tricky on a Mage as it is on a Hunter. A good mage deadzoning you can get some free casts. Not to mention ice block being able to negate an aimed shot/multi/auto combo.

For beastmasters I guess you could try to run until his bestial wrath is over. Or just ice block the whole duration of it.

BM pet rage is like fighting a 3 minute mage. For anybody, you will die from them, but will reck thier face the next two times you see them in battle ground.

These specs i consider world pvp specs.

All classes will have greater strengths over some classes and greater weaknesses to others. Hunters can be a mage's weakness. But as most have stated in this thread, the key is deadzoning whilst keeping the pet inactive. It is difficult...with some practice it will be easier. Just don't expect to easily stomp a hunter who knows a little about his/her class.

As an extra note: Try to get the pounce on hunters first. Take them unaware.

Try to get the pounce on hunters first. Take them unaware.

This goes both ways, especially in an open area (WSG) a hunter can deny mages every opportunity to get near him.

Either class has a chance, we won’t be in WotLK and above when Mages lose by default against hunters (at equal skill level, of course).
From what I remember as one who played a H in Classic throughout, it was easier for an undergeared Hunter to defeat a better-equipped Mage than vice-versa. But a caveat here: Hunters are really setting-dependent in Classic and you will have plenty of opportunities to catch them in tight spots, such as flag rooms.

Otherwise, however, rush forward. The following steps are quite likely.
1 If he’s good, he will force you to Blink to get in his DZ, even if you’re coming at him mounted. The H will save his Scatter Shot for Blink.
2 Now, some Hunters have SShot+Trap so ingrained into their brains, that some will actually FD, move in and lay it. If one does, it should be easy for you. Let him trap, Ice Block yourself out, then Frost Nova the H + pet before they gain distance. But a good H will simply SShot and move away, j-shotting you with Concussive as soon as the disorient ends.
3 So you have to IB the SShot and catch H + pet in Nova. Sheep the pet. The H will interrupt your first FB with FD. If H is NE, he will Shadowmeld as well, forcing you to come closer or use AoE, breaking him out of Nova.
From here it’s anyone’s game and it shouldn’t last until the H’s next SShot either way. 1 Iron Grenade or a net can win it or lose it for you.

P.S. Remember that even a Survival PvP H (with 5/5 Survivalist) has access to Scatter.

True story.

Well my plan was to keep it as simple as possible for someone who most likely has not mage experience :biggrin:

Some people writing a book. Come on its vanilla, every class has 5 abilities. In bgs, you will have a hard time, if they are grouped, youll get drained and shreded, its like that on every expansion..

Some people writing a book. Come on its vanilla, every class has 5 abilities. In bgs, you will have a hard time, if they are grouped, youll get drained and shreded, its like that on every expansion..

Useful frost Mage spells/abilities/attacks in pvp combat: Polymorph, Frostbolt(r-1 and r-max), fireball, CoC, Frost Nova, Fireblast, Scorch, Arcane Explosion, Ice Block, Coldsnap, Decurse, PoM/Ice Barrier/Blast Wave, Blink, Evocation, Wand, Blizzard(r-1 primarily)

That's from on top of my head, and that easily equals 15+ spells/abilities. Put on top of that things like consumables and engineering and not least trinkets.

PS: You could also include Ice Armor, if that get's dispelled and needs to be reapplied, as well as detect magic in certain situations etc.

Come on you two, no one meant to get on your nerves o_O
The chap is playing a Mage and asked specifically about tactics, which spells to use first and what to focus on. The described sequence of events is a true story, i.e. pretty much what happens in the first 5 seconds of any Mage-Hunter encounter and if the Mage does not get it right, he’s dead. If it’s wrong, correct it, if not, we helped him according to his request.

Its just a joke mate, but vanilla does lack mechanics. Cant think of any class/spec thats not faceroll

/Shit, forgot to answer to op. But its very situational, BGs contain anywhere from 1v1 to 10v10, generally though you want to stay out of their way, and rather focus on peeling rogues and warriors off your healers. If you have to engage, then yeah stay in close range and use instants

Last edited:
I still don't get the people who honestly believe that WoW (no matter which patch) is a game that is meant to be competitive. Of course skill matters to a certain degree, but there is a lot of RNG in the game that hinders the game from being competitive and therefore having good "mechanics" is of course good in WoW, but if you want to play a game where you need mechanics, play a moba, cs or even starcraft..

I still don't get the people who honestly believe that WoW (no matter which patch) is a game that is meant to be competitive.

Im not sure what do you mean when saying competitive. Most of wow activity is competing.. Theres 2 of you mining in ungoro? you compete. If you mean purely pvp as from a players perspective, it has to be, what would happen in WSG if noone was competitive? 20 people cooking pork and dancing

Im not sure what do you mean when saying competitive. Most of wow activity is competing.. Theres 2 of you mining in ungoro? you compete. If you mean purely pvp as from a players perspective, it has to be, what would happen in WSG if noone was competitive? 20 people cooking pork and dancing

He meant e-sport like competitive.

Top Bottom