• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Let Kronos TBC start as a fresh x1 server

I think you're trying to create ideas for issues that don't exist. If you're worried about new players being turned off by Kronos progressing into TBC then I fail to understand your argument. How is that any different from a totally new player back in 2007 deciding to try out TBC, having never played Vanilla? It's not. Are you suggesting that Blizzard's method was incorrect? Should Blizzard have closed the Dark Portal for two months after TBC launch? Because that's what you're suggesting...and then at that point it's not even an expansion.

If anybody out there wants to level and get better prepared for Kronos TBC, then they should be rolling/leveling/playing on Kronos now. The incentives are many, not to mention about 98% working Vanilla content on Kronos currently. The hype train will get started once TwinStar makes some kind of official announcement. At that point, expect an influx of new players leveling on Kronos.

You can't compare official Burning Crusade by Blizzard in 2007 and a private server with 600 players and expect the same results.

You can't compare official Burning Crusade by Blizzard in 2007 and a private server with 600 players and expect the same results.

There has never been a successful PTE WoW private server. Kronos TBC has the opportunity to be the first, and the only model to compare to is retail. All I'm saying is that there shouldn't be any type of delay for players to "progress". For example if Kronos TBC was announced to have a 1/1/18 release date, then on 1/1/18 all players should expect to be able to take their level 60 characters from Kronos thru the Dark Portal...it's that simple.

This ensures the experience as it was on retail:
-Your character progresses, with whatever gear, gold and items you have
-Hellfire will be the glorious PvP cluster **** that we all remember (and healthy PvP in general)
-An even player base reaching 70 at the same time

That gives all players 4 months to level now, on Kronos, and prepare (assuming a 1/1/18 release date). There doesn't need to be a release date announced followed by some arbitrary additional restriction where Kronos players are not allowed to transfer yet, as the OP seems to be suggesting. A PTE experience is, by definition, not a "fresh start".

Even though it has instant 60, Ares is far and away closer to the fresh start experience.

-Hellfire will be the glorious PvP cluster **** that we all remember (and healthy PvP in general)
Glorious unplayable DC fest it will be...

I'm not sure there would be a big hype for Kronos PTE. I think people love things fresh, and not many would come to "prepare". The difference with retail is that there're many private servers, and people have little trust.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to attract population, you think it would only frustrate the current playerbase. I would let someone in charge raise their opinion.

Kinda off topic, but i would like a clarification on Kronos TBC. Is vanilla Kronos going to turn into TBC or just the vanilla characters get copied to a new TBC server? Asking because i'm not interested in a TBC server and would like to keep playing vanilla.

You will need some sort of restriction to stop these players from amassing 400 alts with tailoring and alchemy like they're currently doing or you will have a really shit economy for new players
this is the real issue i foresee. the gold hoarders won't be an issue so much as the people that already have over 100 level 60s with 300 tailoring/alchemy. TBC economy's gonna be destroyed

Don't know what the problem with people at gold cap is. This is the same as it is in real life, if you reset all wealth you will still end up with a few rich people after a short period of time, with the rest hardly getting by. People were at gold cap in retail vanilla when TBC hit, don't see why that should be so bad here.

The problem with TBC is there are no 40 man raids.

I'm going to cry when Kronos TBC comes out and steals half the vanilla server to replace it with 20 mans

If Kronos TBC is simply a server with copying from Kronos available, we'll lose two things. First, the opportunity to attract a large amount of new players*. Second, flexibility: Kronos TBC will be bound to launch not too soon and not too late after Naxx**.

Therefore, I would suggest to launch Kronos TBC as a fresh server, as people love, while guaranteeing that copies from Vanilla will be possible in, say, 2 months after the initial launch.

I realize it's too early for the discussion, but why not.

==========

* - let's be honest, "this server has tons of rich 60s already" is repelling. "This server will have an influx of 60s a few months after launch" sounds way better.

**- by the way, this "not too soon and not too late" is something we know nothing about now. Again, I realize it's too early, but now some people can expect TBC this year, and some can expect it in 2020, seeing how long the Ares re-development took. It's not a healthy situation.
I gotta say you really thought it through quite a bit and i can only agree with what you are hinting at, not only will the idea of delayed cloning resolve the problem of attracting fresh population it will also balance out the class & race's on both sides as old players will most likely play shaman/paladin or something they have yet not leveled to 60.

kinda hope that something similar to what you suggest happens however i have no magic crystal ball and am merely a tester so i can only cross my fingers ;)

well in the end regardless of how the launch is done i am optimistic its gonna be great nomatter what :)

Last edited:
Why would you need "delayed cloning" on a progressive Vanilla/TBC server? The release date of Kronos TBC will be announced a long time before it comes out. If someone wants to play Kronos TBC they can roll on the Vanilla server months in advance and get everything ready. Actually, I'm pretty sure a lot will be doing this which will breathe life into the Vanilla server late in it's lifespan. This is the most natural, retail-like progression. Stop trying to fuck with nature.

Btw, I'm pretty sure gold will be wiped, so that's another thing benefiting newcomers or those coming back to Kronos.

The release date of Kronos TBC will be announced a long time before it comes out. If someone wants to play Kronos TBC they can roll on the Vanilla server months in advance and get everything ready.
It's a decent point, provided
gold will be wiped, so that's another thing benefiting newcomers or those coming back to Kronos.
which I'm not that sure about. If I were to decide, I would take a softer approach, like cutting the gold n times, or like something I've mentioned before. Although I like the idea of a complete gold wipe, being a "never-above-300g" player :D

Why not launch 2 TBC servers? 1 with copied chars from Kronos, 1 fresh clean new. See which one players prefer.

You're asking, why not split the community not only between Kronos TBC and Ares, but also between Kronos TBC and Kronos TBC fresh? "See which one players prefer", and let the players of the abandoned one(s) suffer.

At this point we have ample evidence of what launching multiple realms does. In the case of Kronos even though they were on different timelines they eventually merged the servers since K1 was on life support.

In the case of Elysium, Zethkur eventually went on life support and was merged into Anathema/Elysium/darrowshire. Anathema is essentially a low pop realm and is alive due to Naxx being close, but even with Naxx guilds are struggling to fill raids and there's only 3 NA horde guilds and only 1 clears AQ40.

Having multiple realms has never worked with the sole exception of Nostalrius (PvP) with Darrowshire (PvE). I would potentially support releasing a PvE TBC realm in addition to the Kronos PvP realm but that would be it.

Bump.

With Ares approaching, it would be nice to have some fresh information about Kronos TBC. For example, if it's going to be developed from the scratch, then it's a few more years, and people may want to play Ares to experience TBC. On the other hand, if Kronos TBC plans to take Ares core, it may launch in a few months, and then it would make little to no sense for Kronos players to roll Ares.

My personal guess is, that after Naxx is out, Chero will focus more on porting Kronos Fixes to Ares core to release Kronos TBC with working Vanilla content.

This would be my guess too. Hope that this is what they will announce soon, and announce some ETA as well, so it's not "we hope to launch summer 2016, but ehhh on a second thought let it be autumn 2017" like Ares did.

There should not be more than two TBC realms offered by TwinStar (one of those being Ares). You don't want to keep dividing the population and player base. The other opportunity would be Kronos TBC as we're commonly calling it, but we should really be calling it "Kronos PTE". We don't need a 3rd realm beyond this unless you like playing on a server with 300 people.

"Kronos PTE" is merely a thought at this point in time, having only been mentioned as an idea or possibility by the devs, but never confirmed to be something that will 100% happen.

I would venture to guess that if Kronos PTE were to be officially announced, that you're looking at a Q2 2018 release date at the earliest.

If you're bored with Vanilla, then just go play on Ares when it launches in 3 weeks. You can decide to start from level 1 or boost, that decision won't change the fact that everyone starts with 0 copper. Everyone. I'll say it again...it will be more of a fresh experience than Kronos PTE due to the nature of what PTE is.

There should not be more than two TBC realms offered by TwinStar (one of those being Ares). You don't want to keep dividing the population and player base. The other opportunity would be Kronos TBC as we're commonly calling it, but we should really be calling it "Kronos PTE". We don't need a 3rd realm beyond this unless you like playing on a server with 300 people.

"Kronos PTE" is merely a thought at this point in time, having only been mentioned as an idea or possibility by the devs, but never confirmed to be something that will 100% happen.

I would venture to guess that if Kronos PTE were to be officially announced, that you're looking at a Q2 2018 release date at the earliest.

If you're bored with Vanilla, then just go play on Ares when it launches in 3 weeks. You can decide to start from level 1 or boost, that decision won't change the fact that everyone starts with 0 copper. Everyone. I'll say it again...it will be more of a fresh experience than Kronos PTE due to the nature of what PTE is.

What does PTE stand for?

What does PTE stand for?
Progress Through Expansion. Just the term used to describe a private server that has aspirations of re-creating the retail Blizzard experience starting from Vanilla, then progressing into TBC, then Wrath etc etc all with your same character/items/guild.

Progress Through Expansion. Just the term used to describe a private server that has aspirations of re-creating the retail Blizzard experience starting from Vanilla, then progressing into TBC, then Wrath etc etc all with your same character/items/guild.

Ah ok, i understood what you mean but did not know the term.
It would be cool of kronos just progresses further and leaves everything old behind. Only thing i would limit when it transitions to tbc would be gold. 100g per lvl 60 and 0g for everyone also limit the materials of any char to one stack of each type.

No, see http://www.kronos-wow.com/2016/11/20/the-next-steps/
A small hint was recently dropped on Reddit by a member of our team that suggested that we would be carrying the Kronos project into further content after Naxxramas and we can confirm that this is the case. Upon the completion of vanilla’s final raiding experience, our development team will turn their attentions to The Burning Crusade. This is the logical next step for the project and allows those who wish to continue their journey with us, the chance to do so with their current characters. Rest assured, measures will be taken to ensure the continuation of the vanilla experience, both for players who wish to begin afresh, and those who want to continue playing their current characters in a vanilla environment.

Bump.

Fresh x3-1-60 or x5-1-60 TBC server could be appealing too. In any case, I think it's a good idea to start and advertise it as fresh.

Also, please give us more details on how you plan to implement Kronos TBC, so we know if it's 2018-2019 or more like 2022.

#PTEhype
#KTisnottheend

Top Bottom