• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Looking for some class advice for a casual player

Gossamer

Authorized
Hi everyone! I'm looking to get a bit of advice choosing a class for the release of Kronos. First, a little background on the decision:

History:
I starting playing WoW shortly before the release of TBC, and got through most of TBC before quitting in early 2008. Because TBC released before I got to level 60, I never experienced the Vanilla endgame dungeons and raids, which seem amazing. I levelled an affliction warlock and a protection warrior to level 70, and I have no desire to play those two classes again, because I'm looking for a new experience. For the same reasons, I intend to play Horde, because I was Alliance in the past.

Present Day:
I'm now an adult with a job and a family, including an infant and a wife who has no interest in gaming. This means that my playtime will be extremely limited and probably at odd hours. It will take me months to get to level 60, and I will likely never have the time to commit to raiding, so min/maxing a character is not important. Because of this limited time, I should focus on one character, so no alts. I will probably spend most of my time solo or PUGing dungeons and BGs. I'm not a hardcore PvPer, but I will still play them - I'm especially nostalgic for Alterac Valley. I'm looking for the most fun experience possible. This means that the class is fun to play, works well in PUGs, can farm quickly for endgame grinding, and levels easily.

Current considerations, not in order:
  • Hunter - probably the easiest to level, given that it's a pet class. Potentially boring. I'd go with Orc for the pet damage and stun resist. The axe skill might also be useful.
  • Rogue - Huge burst to kill quickly and stealth to get around trash content. Classic fun for PvP. Probably harder to level. I'd probably go with undead, because I have so many "fond" memories of getting ganked by undead rogues on my warlock.
  • Mage - Also huge burst, probably the fastest farmer, great CC for dungeons, good PvPer. I'd probably go with Troll for the berserking.
  • Druid - Fairly easy levelling, and I'm not pigeonholed into one playstyle for dungeons. While I'd never be the best at anything for raids, I also probably won't see that content anyway. Great PvP healing class, and I've never played a healer before. Probably not great for farming. Obviously Tauren.
  • Priest - Like I said above, I've never healed before. Priest is probably the best healer in Vanilla, and Shadow DPS is still legit. Definitely the hardest to level, and probably crappy farming. Probably undead here just for the flavor.

I would really appreciate any feedback you have for me. Remember, I'm not looking for the BEST class, because I'm not going to be seriously raiding or PvPing. My goal is to enjoy the journey, try all of the dungeons I never got to play, and have fun.

Also, if you know of a Horde guild that accepts casuals, preferably in the US (I'm EST/UTC-5), let me know!

Hi Gossamer,

Well i'd say druid for one simple reason, since it is patch 1.12.1 you can spec both tank, dmg and heal.

BUT! since you play horde have you not considered playing a shaman?
You mention that you don't plan on min/max, just want to relax and enjoy the different aspects of the game.
Shaman class offers quiet some lore and for group utility it can be played as healer or dmg, a rather funny class with many possibilities. :)

Just my 2 cents.

-Aik

I'm just not really attracted to the Shaman class. Yes, it can heal or DPS, but so can priest or druid, and those classes seem more interesting to me. No offense to Shammys!

To be totally truthful, my top 3 are rogue, mage, and druid, but priest and hunter are second-tier considerations if people here can sell me on one of them.

Well my vanilla experience consisted of main warrior tank, and an alt druid healer.

And must say that the druid was always a blast!

That's a couple of arguments in favor of Druid. How is the farming ability at top level? I'm thinking about rep grinding or farming mats, which can often feel brutal on the wrong class.

As for why Horde, I answered that in my first post - I played Alliance originally, and I'd like a new experience. Also, nothing interests me about Paladin.

Since your top choices are Rogue mage and druid i'll just give my take on those and leave the other 2 as they are (though i've always enjoyed a priest, but as you said as an only char it grinds pretty .... was gonna say slow but inefficient is more suited i feel)

Rogue, never really liked it much myself, bit of a drag to level imo, very fun to gank in world 'pvp' (judging from my brother's laughter on skype when he's on his but even then he usually ends up enjoying it for a few weeks and then going back to another class. as i feel it it takes a certain kind of person to be a rogue and enjoy it as your only char.
Obviously killing stuff comes pretty easy but needs more attention than hunter lock or mage for instance.
Other thing to note is that on horde side especially there usually are a very high number of rogues unless kronos will inexplicably be different (wouldn't count on it), which will usually mean that you'll have to make the groups yourself or get told 'we don't need another rogue' a lot.

Mage, liked leveling it and doing instances with it, never liked pvping with it but that was more due to the fact that when all's said and done i'm a warrior and never rly got the hang of the playstyle as a mage, apparently u can't just stand there and take the hits or something....what a rip-off.
Aside from me they are very good in pvp in played semi properly and same for pve but far easier to master there (as i feel it).
Very liked in groups for CC, good damage and utility (slow and silence come to mind) and obviously watervendors the healer's best friends.
Downside i'd say is same as with rogues there are usually a lot of them around, if u wanna go troll, go for it but if u are going to do some pvp, that will of the forsaken is a marvelous thing so i'd sleep on it another night.

Druid, my first ever character in wow the leveling was a drag if it hadn't been my first character and i hadn't been in awe with all the game entailed i'd never have made it to 60.
That being said i liked raiding with it even though all i was allowed to do was heal. i tanked most of the dungeons i went to however with only 11 points in feral (helped that ppl were bad at the game back then and didn't do the dmg they do now with equal gear, 1.12.1 talents also boost dps ofc).
As for pvp i never rly got into that with my druid had my pala and warrior for that so there's probably other ppl you might wanna ask for that, every1 knows they are awesome at flagrunning obviously if that's what floats your boat.
All in all druid is a very unique playstyle loads a fun if you commit to it, however farming as a druid is not very fast even with the 1.12.1 talents unless you're amazingly geared.

At the end it's ofc your decision but i recommend to go on the beta while it's still up and check out the different classes see what fits you best and play that grinding issues you might have with a druid can be solved by grouping if it's for rep or professions when it's for money.

i'll see you ingame on the 28th or some day there after no matter what class you settle on. grtz

Feral Druids have no downtime and they do decent damage in Cat and can do some elites in bear form.

If you're like me and get bored easily choose a Druid as you can do everything decently in lvling and can heal/dps/flag run ok in PvP.

Like you raids are not my focus so I don't care about not being able to DPS there. I might even enjoy healing if I ever do get into one.

You'll find groups easier as a Druid too I'd guess..

I like rogue. But as sayed above, it needs a certain kind of person. As rogue, you can prepare a lot of things that will be in your favor during fight and you tend to be the one who dictates the pace of battle. You also have to be patient and know the moment you should engage. Also, you can make your own "missions" and challenges (sneaking through group of elites, killing only one certain target and then vanish, etc.) Simply, as rogue, you are assasin. Patiently waiting in shadows with may dirty tricks at your disposal :smile:

Top Bottom