• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Mage Mage guide?

howa003

Authorized
Hi, do you know about any good Vanilla Mage guides? I am looking mainly for PvE and leveling guide.

Leveling guide:
Go Frost. Specc into Shatter and Frostbite.

PvE Guide:
Go frost for all raid content inside Black Rock.
Go fire for every other part of the game.

And for PvP, i would go:

Pom+pyro for high damage
Frost for survivability/sustainability/begining

Then you have to build a "sence for battle", but that can be done only through practice :wink:

Generic Arcane/Frost build for raiding in MC and BWL.
Points in Magic Absorption and Improved Counterspell can be moved around for stuff like Magic Attunement or Improved Arcane Missiles.
One mage in MC/BWL will be running Winter Chill spec to provide debuff on boss for rest of mages. He may ditch PoM in Arcane and go for Ice Barrier in Frost since he's that deep in Frost anyway, but it's more of personal preference.

For raids where mobs do not have fire immunities you can go Fire/Arcane, just be sure to take those 3 points in Frost for Elemental Precision.

Move the 2 points from incinerate to pyro and blastwave. There are alot places were another instant (especially AoE) comes in handy. For dps you mostly use Fireball anyways.

Winterchill, I would move that 1 point from PoM to Icebarrier. All it does is reduce your cast time to 1.5secs for a single frostbolt (GCD 1.5) while Ice Barrier helps you to survive. Dead mage = 0 dps.

For Arc/Frost use Magic Attunement instead of imp. CS. The benefits from dampen and amplify are huge.

Need for Blastwave/Pyro situational and depend on encounter, but ye they can be usefull.
I mentioned Barrier as nice to have but the need for it obviously should be decided depending on encounter.
As for Magic Attunement, only one mage needs it while having improved counterspell is situational benefit when you deal with caster trash.

Generic Arcane/Frost build for raiding in MC and BWL.
Points in Magic Absorption and Improved Counterspell can be moved around for stuff like Magic Attunement or Improved Arcane Missiles.
One mage in MC/BWL will be running Winter Chill spec to provide debuff on boss for rest of mages. He may ditch PoM in Arcane and go for Ice Barrier in Frost since he's that deep in Frost anyway, but it's more of personal preference.

For raids where mobs do not have fire immunities you can go Fire/Arcane, just be sure to take those 3 points in Frost for Elemental Precision.

QFT.

I actually made a pre-raid BIS guide when I was mage CL, but I don't have access to that list atm, and I don't really feel like redoing it. Also now that I think about it, it had items such as Bloodvine and Rockfury, pieces that wont be available at the start. Ah to heck with it here goes. I am going to be lazy tho!

Head: Spellweavers Turban - Drakkisath(UBRS)
Neck: Diana's Pearl Necklace - Cannnonmaster Willy (Strat Living)
Shoulders: Boreal Mantle - Eh can't remember who drops it tbh, think it's in BRD, check it urself^^
Cloak: Amplifying Cloak - Dire Maul / Random Green with frost dmg.
Chest: Robe of the Archmage - You need to be a tailor, pattern drops in LBRS, but can be bought on AH as well. / If you're not a tailor(you ought to be!) Freezing Lich's Robe is next best option - drops in Scholo off Raz.
Bracers: Sublime Wristguards - Dire Maul
Gloves: Hands of Power - LBRS
Belt: Ban'thok Sash - BRD
Legs: Skyshroud Leggings - LBRS
Boots: Omnicast Boots - BRD
Rings:Don Mauricio's Band of Domination- Scholomance(Gandling) + Freezing Band(world drop)/Maiden's Circle(world drop)
Trinkets: Briarwood Reed(Jed in UBRS) + Eye of the Beast(Questline, ends in UBRS)
Weapon:Lord Valthalak's Staff of Command - LBRS (At least until AV comes out)
Wand: Bonecreeper Stylus - Scholomance(Gandling) / Ritssyn's Wand of Bad Mojo - Strat dead(Baron)

Note that this list doesn't contain items that can be obtained via PvP.
Note also that this was done mostly from memory so some things may be wrong.
Note that I only included the items I find the best, not items that are almost as good.

Shoulders: Boreal Mantle - Eh can't remember who drops it tbh, think it's in BRD, check it urself^^
Weapon:Lord Valthalak's Staff of Command - LBRS (At least until AV comes out)

Those shoulders drop off the dude in the Vault, BRD:p
Valthalak is the last step in D2 chain, so he and his loot won't be available for a while.
Until then I'd recommend using Witchblade from Gandling and Tome of the Lost from Drakki (later on OH from Sothos/Jarien summon in Strat Scarlet)

Weird how you mentioned the staff from Valthalak but not the +hit ring:D That's BiS too once D2 is out.

Those shoulders drop off the dude in the Vault, BRD:p
Valthalak is the last step in D2 chain, so he and his loot won't be available for a while.
Until then I'd recommend using Witchblade from Gandling and Tome of the Lost from Drakki (later on OH from Sothos/Jarien summon in Strat Scarlet)

Weird how you mentioned the staff from Valthalak but not the +hit ring:D That's BiS too once D2 is out.

Been so long, some things stick, some things don't

I guess you can use the staff from Dire Maul as well.

Thanks everyone for your info. Is there any recommended rotation in PvE? Or is it really only spamming frostbolt? :huh:

For MC and most of BWL where you just single target nuke, it is.
There're certain fights where you need to do something more, like decurse or AoE or help control adds, on some fights in BWL you got to watch certain vulnerabilities and use other school spells (not going to spoil much :innocent:).
But overally yes, by the time you finish BWL you will be hating arcane/frost spec with passion :biggrin:

Great :D One more question. Which race would you recommend for PvE? On Horde.
I was thinking that troll would be probably better due to increase cast speed racial bonus. How much is it? 15% haste? The regeneration is probably only HP right?
Or would you for some reason pick rather Undead? Aside from being more cool :D

Troll is the better choice in terms of dps. Undead has wotf which comes in handy in some fights.
The troll racial is based on how much HP you currently have. The lower your life when you activate it, the more the speed increase. The maximum is 30% speed.
Best is too use a mana restoring rune at the cost of some health before popping it. This way you get the best results. Or you just wait till you get some dmg.

To OP:

Leveling guide for talent points: -

through lvl 29:

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_8_8zi53502g5e

through lvl 40:

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_8_8zi53532331d51c0

If you want AOE grind spec through lvl 40. - frost bite is bad IMO for aoe spec because your aoe pack gets split up one random ones freeze.

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_8_8zi535023313231e

Finish lvling with: - 3/5 arcane for sheep not to be resisted in 5 mans as this is as running shatter in 5 mans will own.

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_8_803zg5353233132351351

I raided with:

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_8_823d523c23v5350003101301351

for the added survivability and ice block agro assist.

Rotation - (even on bosses that have some fire resist)

Stand 15 yards out.

Frost bolt 2x. During global CD start running towards boss, fire blast, by the time global CD is done, cone of cold (you will be in range now), cold snap, cone of cold. (blink out if splash damage is possible) repeat. Keep ice barrier up if splash damage is possible or if you are in range of 30 yard AoE moves.

To pull off this mana intensive rotation, you have to make mage gems of different ranks, use them starting with the weakest as soon as you burn a couple hundred mana to get it on CD, potion / rune on cd, then mana gem again. Evocation when all others are on long CD as a gap filler.

Enjoy face melting other mages at max range on the dps meters.

Lharts is correct for troll. Many bosses have abilities that will drop your HP, use it then but just spam frost bolt at this point to max mana efficiency and gives a break from the mana intensive rotation I provided which those instant cast would not benefit from the Zerk. (fire blast/cone of cold)

Last edited:
Top Bottom