• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Mage Mage leveling question - Talents, Rotations

Wakiri

I was just wandering... What is a good mage leveling build?
I found many talent builds for leveling but since wowprovider doesn't work atm (for me atleast) i wanted to ask you mages out there to tell me what talents should i pick and when.(if it's possible to use the build for pre raiding 5 mans.. then it's great)
Also if you can give me some sort of rotation... i use frostbolt until target is in melee range then fireblast.. frost nova.. blink frostbolt until target is dead .. if it comes in melee range again ill just use fireblast again or kill it with a arcane explosion.
Thanks!

10-14 = improved fireball
15-17 = elemental precision
18-19 = flame throwing
20-22 = ignite
23-24 = burning soul
25 = pyroblast
26-27 = incinerate
28-30 = improved scorch
31-32 = ignite
33 = blastwave
34-36 = critical mass
37 = improved fireblast
38-42 = firepower
43 = combustion
after that go arcane

item-wise get "of fiery wrath" from auction house in pretty much all slotpieces. doesn't matter if they're 15 levels outdated all you need is dps so mobs die with few spells. low mana pool high dps = less time spent drinking up again = profit

Last edited:
all points into frost
pull mobs together
blizzard
repeat

10-14 = improved fireball
15-17 = elemental precision
18-19 = flame throwing
20-22 = ignite
23-24 = burning soul
25 = pyroblast
26-27 = incinerate
28-30 = improved scorch
31-32 = ignite
33 = blastwave
34-36 = critical mass
37 = improved fireblast
38-42 = firepower
43 = combustion
after that go arcane

item-wise get "of fiery wrath" from auction house in pretty much all slotpieces. doesn't matter if they're 15 levels outdated all you need is dps so mobs die with few spells. low mana pool high dps = less time spent drinking up again = profit

A mage to my heart. ..

Fire is great for lower lvl. Just make sure you switch to frost and learn frost aoe killing and it's finesses... at high lvl

An example at lvl 27:
With this gear and a minor wizard oil I have +79 fire damage. The other items are mostly concentrating on + Intellect, with a few stamina enchants to prevent becoming too squishy.
Fireballs hit for 210-258 , have a small chance to stun and are castable from 42 yards range.
This means you need only 3 fireballs to kill creature around your own level and often they die before they reach you. You still have frost nova blink as control mechanisms , but you don;t need those very often except when fighting mobs 4-5 lvls above your lvl , which is doable although not very efficient)

If any of your fireballs crit it's a complete walk in the park.

With this build you can cast 19 rank 4 fireballs before you have to drink

Durable Hat of fiery wrathSilver-thread AmiceTree Bark Jacket
trade_engraving.png
Elder's Bracers [URL="https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?item=10289"]of fiery wrath
trade_engraving.png
Phoenix Pants (+10 fire)Spidersilk Boots
trade_engraving.png
Raincaller Cord [URL="https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?item=10289"]of fiery wrathWatcher's Handwraps [URL="https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?item=10289"]of fiery wrathSeal of WrynnAzora's WillThistlefur Cloak [URL="https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?item=10289"]of fiery wrath
trade_engraving.png
Emberstone StaffDire Wand

[TD="class: glist_icon"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_name"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]32[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_gems"][/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ench"][/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]29[/TD]

[TD="class: glist_name"][/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"][/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]24[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ench"]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/URL]
[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]31[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]25[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]25[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/URL]
[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]28[/TD]

[/TD]

[/URL]
[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]28[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]27[/TD]

[/TD]

[/URL]
[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]23[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD="class: glist_ilvl"]26[/TD]

Last edited:
So...which is it? I've seen people saying Fire is better, and others say Frost is better. I don't have tons of money to buy shitloads of blues and Fiery Wrath gear.

I recommend levelling as fire so you atleast know what it feels by the time you start raiding molten core and never touch anything but frostbolt for a few months.

I don't plan on raiding on my Mage.

Seriously though, which is better? atm I'm going with Frost, because I don't have the money to buy tons of +fire damage greens, and being able to AoE grind is a really nice prospect. Plus with shit like Iceblock and Ice Barrier, I'll be more resistant to gankfags.

Also, another question, I read that you only need to put 2 points into Improved Blizzard, for AoE farming. Why? Is there some bug or glitch that makes 3 points unnecessary?

Frost has the hit talents in tier 1. Not having spells resisted is amazing. Plus frost has a lot of suitability.

Yeah, Frost does have lower spell costs for the most part, it but also has lower damage. It's not until you get 3/3 Frost Channeling that the difference becomes really noticeable.

I tried going Fire at 23 and it was *so* much better single target damage. But also had *so* much higher mana usage, yeah...but with how fast I killed, I didn't particularly care that I had to drink every 3-4 mobs. Pyro + Fireball + Fire Blast would easily bring mobs down to 40% health, and Pyroblast crit would be like 50% health on an equal-level mob. Plus, you get Burning Soul for that sweet, sweet pushback resistance.

At 28 however, I went back Frost for AoE grinding, and that works pretty well. Got myself the Azure set + some Frozen Wrath gear, and Frostbolt hits just as hard as equal-rank Fireball...for way less mana!

Last edited:
Really depends on your playstyle.

Fire is only worth it if you stack fire spell damage, which means buying a lot of fiery wrath greens off the AH. It's also great if you plan on running dungeons frequently as you level. However, Fire's weaknesses are mana costs and lack of survivability.

Frost, while incredibly boring to level as, has massive survivability and kiting tools that will let you solo elite quests easily without needing to look for a group (unless the mob is immune to roots/snares), and you can pick up tailor crafted Frost spell damage gear for cheap too. If you stack Frost spell damage and spec into Frostbite/Shatter/Ice Shards, you'll be two-shotting mobs constantly, which will put you near Fire's damage without its downsides.

Obviously Arcane is completely unviable to level as, but I've seen a few mages here and there try anyway.

Edit - Also I'd say if you want to run BGs at lower levels, Fire (with the gear) is killer.

I prefer deep frost for leveling because you have more survivability and it's easier to kite hard mobs.
The only bad thing about frost is that you learn the new frostbolt rank 2 levels after the new fireball. That's all.

Fire does much more overall damage, but it's pretty mana intensive and you're a glass cannon (= you're easy to kill)

So for me control > pew pew

I don't plan on raiding on my Mage.

Seriously though, which is better? atm I'm going with Frost, because I don't have the money to buy tons of +fire damage greens, and being able to AoE grind is a really nice prospect. Plus with shit like Iceblock and Ice Barrier, I'll be more resistant to gankfags.

Also, another question, I read that you only need to put 2 points into Improved Blizzard, for AoE farming. Why? Is there some bug or glitch that makes 3 points unnecessary?

This pretty much says it all. Sorry i can't resist the urge to pick on you, but you obviously saw a mage aoeing a ton of mobs and got jealous and rerolled huh?

Your question is rather loaded though. All mages, and I do mean EVERY mage has their own preference of trees. Honestly it just goes to show how well made the mage class was, a true rarity in Vanilla and quite frankly they are all viable for grinding and raiding. Each has their own perks and downsides.

First off, spell damage is even more necessary for frost than it is fire. Fire already does a bucket load of damage, frost, while cheap, does poor damage but really benefits more from spell damage because it's cheap. That's a moot point though because you won't need it. AoE's scale extremely poorly with spell damage. Also you take a LOT of damage aoe pulling, so stam and intel are the only stats that matter. This means you want 'of the eagle' gear. Not that that's the easiest thing to find, and anyone who knows anything will put it in for almost as much as +spell dmg, still it's easier to get a hold of stam/intel gear than other things.

You said you wanted your mage for AoEing, but you didn't plan on raiding with it. That's fine, a mage is a great alt to have as a mats/money grinder. But if you don't plan on raiding with it, I would highly suggest rolling the class you intend on raiding with and capping that one first.

Second, AoE grinding with a mage is pretty much impossible right now because the server is so badly over populated. If there aren't a bunch of players already grinding the mobs there's (at least) one mage already there aoe grinding.

If you plan on making aoeing your thing on your mage, yes I agree you should level it that way. AoEing with a mage only looks easy. It's actually very intricate and is a high risk, high reward style of play. The slightest thing can make a good aoe pull go pear shaped really fast. Coupled with the fact that EVER other player (including other mages) will hate you and try and fuck with your pulls, and on top of all of that, the pathing on this server is pretty bad. I've quite literally had mobs walk straight out of my aoe in all directions when they had no reason too, and some even unable to decide which direction they wanted to go.

Also an aoe grinding mage is VERY susceptible to being ganked as you almost always low on health and mana by the end of an aoe pull, and it's particularly hard to defend yourself when you have a dozen mobs chasing after you as well.

The reason many choose to put 2/3 Imp Blizzard is because the slow with the longest duration (CoC) over rides the any other slow. Me personally though, i find that mobs with the 40% slow from 2/3 imp blizzard still move too fast through it and I always go with 3/3 Imp Blizzard. It's a matter of play style and you'll figure your own style and preferences out as you learn it.

But like I said, unless you intend to raid with it, don't bother leveling a mage right now. Go level your main and come back to it after the server has calmed down and most players are playing at end game.

Last edited:
This pretty much says it all. Sorry i can't resist the urge to pick on you, but you obviously saw a mage aoeing a ton of mobs and got jealous and rerolled huh?

.........No? I level Mage first on new servers because they're cheap and easy to level.

Thanks for assuming I don't know about Mage AoE grinding just to insult me, though.

.........No? I level Mage first on new servers because they're cheap and easy to level.

Thanks for assuming I don't know about Mage AoE grinding just to insult me, though.

Not trying to be offensive, just giving you a bit of good natured ribbing.

Top Bottom