• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

NPC parry/dodge/block mechanics

tristan

Authorized
Hey guys,
Since I didn't play Vanilla WoW in Retail, I'm not sure how this should work, so I decided to ask here.

1. Can NPC's that are not wielding a weapon parry an attack?
2. Can NPC's that are not wielding a shield block an attack?
3. Can NPC's dodge/parry/block an attack while casting?
4. Can NPC's dodge an attack while being attacked from behind?

I hope that experencied retail players who play on Kronos know this and can answer. Thank you!

That was asked a few times. In one of the earlier vanilla patches parry was added to all creatures, even beasts. However parrying from behind was removed.

I don't know the answer to 3 or 4

That was asked a few times. In one of the earlier vanilla patches parry was added to all creatures, even beasts. However parrying from behind was removed.

I don't know the answer to 3 or 4

Thanks for your answer! How about block? Do you know anything?

1. Yes, some NPCs can parry attack even without a weapon, but not every NPC, for example there is no reason why a Carrion Bird would parry an attack. The patch note Struckd mentioned was this one:

WoW_Icon_16x16.png
Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07):
All creatures will now report a Parry on attacks from the front instead of translating them into a "Miss." Creatures will no longer be able to Parry attacks from behind.
But that only specifies that creatures now show "parry" instead of "miss".

2. Yes, some NPCs can block even without a shield. But not every NPC, for example there is no reason why a Wolf would block damage.
3. No, players and mobs should not be able to dodge/parry/block while casting.
4. Yes NPCs can dodge from behind, unlike players. NPCs cannot parry from behind.

Thank you for your answer Psojed :smile:
But I still got a few questions.

1. Yes, some NPCs can parry attack even without a weapon, but not every NPC, for example there is no reason why a Carrion Bird would parry an attack.

How can we know which ones can parry and which ones cannot? From the patch notes you quoted it seems like every NPC can parry.

But that only specifies that creatures now show "parry" instead of "miss".

So, creatures are able to parry AND I can miss, right? So does that mean if I have my hit chance capped against that creature, I will never miss, but could get parried?

2. Yes, some NPCs can block even without a shield. But not every NPC, for example there is no reason why a Wolf would block damage.

Same as first question, how do I know if certain NPC can or cannot block?

3. No, players and mobs should not be able to dodge/parry/block while casting.
4. Yes NPCs can dodge from behind, unlike players. NPCs cannot parry from behind.

Thank you for this info, it will help me very much to make good bug reports.

Last edited:
Playing the game pretty much allows you to see which mobs can block and which can't :p, thats probably the best way to find out ;).

I don't think a full spreadsheet of mobs exist that will label each parry or block chance for each mob. If it did the devs would have a better time of it thats for sure.

Playing the game pretty much allows you to see which mobs can block and which can't :p, thats probably the best way to find out ;).

I don't think a full spreadsheet of mobs exist that will label each parry or block chance for each mob. If it did the devs would have a better time of it thats for sure.

Well yeah, of course there are many NPC and it is hard to make a list, agree with that. What I was aiming for, is that if there's like a criteria for it, I.E.: NPC that can block must have a shield equipped if humanoid, or if they are creature, must have "hard skin" (boars, crocolisks, dragons), or something like that.

Just like with the resistances. As a warlock, I have to learn which mobs are resistant to shadow damage, and which are not. Have to adapt: avoid the 'troublesome' ones,and bash hard the other ones.
No more milk runs like on some other servers :rolleyes2:

Just like with the resistances. As a warlock, I have to learn which mobs are resistant to shadow damage, and which are not. Have to adapt: avoid the 'troublesome' ones,and bash hard the other ones.
No more milk runs like on some other servers :rolleyes2:

Well, this actually has a criteria. Resistances are very logical: if you attack a fire elemental with fire, it's logical that it won't have very good effect. It's like golems or mechanicals being immune to bleeding effects, how can they bleed if they have no blood? As I said, just trying to find a good criteria.

Thank you for your answer Psojed :smile:
But I still got a few questions.

How can we know which ones can parry and which ones cannot? From the patch notes you quoted it seems like every NPC can parry.

Same as first question, how do I know if certain NPC can or cannot block?
You don't. You learn by trying :tongue:

So, creatures are able to parry AND I can miss, right? So does that mean if I have my hit chance capped against that creature, I will never miss, but could get parried?
Yes.

Top Bottom