• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

One simple trick to avoid fallng off of boats on a Mac

Hourmelts

Authorized
Hello fellow superior computing platform connoisseurs! **

As you know, the vanilla WoW Mac client has a tragic bug that dumps you in the ocean or out of the sky when your transport of choice zones to the other continent. I think I've found a spot where you can stand that will allow you to stay on board and survive the ride. I've been doing this for months with 100% success on the Menethil boats, and ~90% fatigue-death-free trips between Booty Bay <--> Ratchet. (For some reason this boat seems more problematic -- Goblin engineering at its finest).

1. Stand on the boxes in the middle of the ship, on the edge of the box closest to the front. You should be facing the mast, and be as close to it as possible while remaining on the box.
2. Tap your forward key frantically as soon as the loading screen pops up, and don't stop until there's a solid surface beneath your feet.
3. Depending on how good you are at pressing forward, you should fall somewhere on the deck towards the back end of the ship (the "stern" for all you sailors out there), or possibly inside of it.

Here is a boring video of me doing this. https://vid.me/ZUOH

I'm not sure if there's a similar spot on zeppelins. I think the key is to be as high as possible in the center of the transport.

Let me know if this works for you.

** That was a joke. I humbly request that we don't turn this thread into a fight about whose computer is better. Consider the following: Some of your guild/group mates are probably on Macs. Maybe this will prevent one of them from quitting, or possibly get a group member to you faster.

Oh, PS - There's a secondary boat bug that often causes both Mac and Windows clients to crash if you take a ride with someone you're in a party with. If you're in a group with someone on the same boat as you, drop group until you're both safe and sound on the other side.

Last edited:
Hello fellow superior computing platform connoisseurs! **
I humbly request that we don't turn this thread into a fight about whose computer is better.

I would really hope that no one considers WoW Vanilla some type of benchmark against whose platform is better.
A mid range circa 2006 machine would still run WoW at medium to high settings without problems.

I still have a top of the line 2005 PC running windows XP. (This is not my primary rig, it just happens to still work so I loaded up Kronos one day to see what it was like on the old bear) It was definately playable, just couldn't really do much else and why would I? I definitely do not miss the long load times.

Specs:
Pentium 4 Prescott 3.06Ghz (somehow that .06 really mattered back then)
2GB of RAM DDR2 (That is 4x 512MB sticks lol) I was amazed when I had to re-seat the RAM and was like GD 512MB sticks! (At some point it was swapped out from the 1GB sticks that were in there)
Radeon X800 (256MB of VRAM) good god really 256? My cards now have 4GB of VRAM each.
Dual 10k RPM 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (138GB formatted and IIRC their speed was something like 80-120MB/s) pit that against an SSD of today in the 400-600MB/s range in the same RAID 0 maybe even better. even a single bottom shelf SSD runs circles around an old raptor. Not to mention there is a hell of a lot more space on any of the SSDs of today vs these raptors. Even my old X-25Ms were 80GB gen II Intel SSDs. I think they cost about the same as the Raptors did when they were going for MSRP.

Now on to my suggestion. If you have a newer computer from within the last 3 years couldn't you just run parallels, bootcamp, or VMware and run the windows client and not fall through the world? I know it really does suck to have this kind of issue. This is where I would be if I was a MAC user I would either run some form of virtual environment or spend some money to buy a circa 2006 PC which I would assume shouldn't be too much I hope at this point to run WoW.

I know not everyone is technically savvy, they do not benefit from having stupid amounts of PC parts laying around. (like me -_-) Eventually stuff does need to go in the trash though. :mellow:

Good luck,
-PP

Wine runs WoW just fine on Mac and has for some time now. I used to play WoW on Wine under Linux in 2006 for what it's worth, and it was fine then too. I personally wouldn't bother with something bulkier like VMware or Parallels unless you really didn't want to go through the extra little hassle of setting up Wine (and that is a perfectly legitimate concern mind you). The only benefit that full on virtualization has is that usually those programs are easier to set up (point + click install).

I symlinked my Interface and WTF directories from the Mac client to the Windows client install under ~/.wine so that I can switch between the two as needed for whatever reason and have all my settings "just work" and be ready to go.

Of course, often enough I am super lazy and don't want to switch clients, so I just carry swim speed pots with me at all times. :)

Here’s what I do with the Zeppelins, I assume it’s the same on boats (not there with my Alliance character yet)

1 - Hop aboard and stand on the stairs in the middle of the ship
2 - When it starts moving, log out.
3 - Log back in about 45 seconds later

When you log back in you’re at the destination tower. Sometimes you’re on the ship, sometimes you fall immediately to the ground when logging back in (which of course may kill you if you’re low level), but either way you made it to the other city.

Thanks for this! I've tried it twice, and although I got stuck in a wall and had to unstuck myself through this website, it has worked both times! Appreciate it :smile:

Top Bottom