• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Problem Opinion : The Group XP Buff on K3 was a misstep

Zipzo

Authorized
Now I love ya Kronos, which is why we’re going to do this in the first place, and I’ll just get right in to it... The group XP buff implemented on K3 was a failure. It completely changes the leveling climate of the server, it appropriates an absurd speed in which dedicated players can hit 60 long before anyone doing it “the legit” way that you would normally do it in vanilla. It creates a highly unusual group forming economy as many players are simply just looking for AOE groups, and places mages at a value far beyond others. I don’t think we need vanilla footage proof to show that this wasn’t a thing in vanilla, and there’s probably a good number of reasons why it wasn’t, if K3’s results are anything to go by. It can probably still be smoothed out...just revert the buff...yes the people who used it will keep the advantage they earned by being opportunists, but it’s just leveling. Soon we will all be 60 and it’s irrelevant, so just removing the buff would future-proof the server from feeling as awkward as it kind of does right now with the glaring issue of AOE groups being optimal for leveling.

it's not about the xp buff, the problem is the instant respawn
It’s both. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure respawn rates were already put back to “normal”? Or at least toned down a lot.

It’s both. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure respawn rates were already put back to “normal”? Or at least toned down a lot.
It's by no means both, the group xp is actually a really nice thing the only reason it looks broken is because of the dynamic respawning making the respawns instant or super fast and has nothing to do with the group xp.

I dont think the instant respawns were intended, im guessing kronos devs are already making fixes.

Instant respawns are definitely wrong thing. In my opinion, respawns should be between 2 and 10 minutes. However, this increased group xp seems to me as a great thing for majority of the community. It motivates players to group up and it does not have too much impact on leveling pace. Ofc that there are some players that used it to level up faster, but is it a big deal? I don't think so. On normal rates, fastest levelers ding 60 in 5 days played, if this fastened it to 4 days realy don't care. Both is incredibly fast, so it does not matter much.

Combination of buffed group XP + dynamic respawns = Exploit city Hopefully they're taking steps to stop this, but I almost kinda doubt it as I think they already would have if they were going to. Not sure how letting people cheese their way to 60 benefits the server in any way. :-/

It's by no means both, the group xp is actually a really nice thing the only reason it looks broken is because of the dynamic respawning making the respawns instant or super fast and has nothing to do with the group xp.
Yes, it is. What people are doing would not be possible if you reversed either element. Firstly, I think the respawn issue was a bug, and I’m pretty sure it got fixed. Secondly, people are still utilizing the buff in AOE groups WITHOUT abusing instant respawns. I see plenty of roaming AOE groups that just move from camp to camp and then circle back around. 2nd, if I had to pick which element to remove, it would DEFINITELY be the XP buff. Any buffs to xp, whether it’s group or solo, just screams “funserver” type shit to me. Yeah, it’s not a 2x buff or 3x buff to all xp. It’s a simple increase in xp per mob when in a party, but it is what it is. It’s a blatant buff to leveling speed, for a community that does not desire it. If K3 opened with 3x exp rates, you think it would have pulled a big population? It would be a ghost town. The group xp buff slid under that scrutiny but it ultimately achieves the same result: much faster leveling. So I stand by my original statement: the XP was a mistake and does not make sense in the context of what vanilla players want.

WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT LEVELING IN 2018
Can you expand on this please? I am curious as to what you mean here .. This is a vertical progression game, it always has been. You level up, you get more powerful, you can kill harder mobs and get stronger loot. Leveling is literally the core of WoW, be it EXP levels, or iLvl.

The game is designed to be played at max level. The low level content is dull and even more poorly balanced than the level 60 content. In 2018 there are a lot of veteran players of the game who simply don't care about leveling after having done it enough. Although I doubt it's the majority, given how popular 1x xp servers are.

group exp was fucking lovely. anything to speed up the braindead process of hitting the same 2 buttons for 100 hrs straight smh zipzo still a struggler

The game is designed to be played at max level. The low level content is dull and even more poorly balanced than the level 60 content. In 2018 there are a lot of veteran players of the game who simply don't care about leveling after having done it enough. Although I doubt it's the majority, given how popular 1x xp servers are.
Kronos 3 wasn't advertised as a server "for people who are tired of the leveling process and just want 60", which is a common marketing tool used with servers who do multiple x XP rates. It's advertised as the most quality vanilla experience around (and I'd still say that it is). That means all levels of play in the vanilla eco-system should be tested and designed for integrity. So they make the executive decision to cap the respec cost at 5, join battlegrounds from anywhere (neither of these I have an issue with tbh), buff the XP you get, and yet other changes recommended are rejected on the idea that they need proof from vanilla that it was really like that before they budge? They are picking and choosing which changes are OK and which are not based on their own judgment. They are free to do this, but if the goal is for it to be "how it was", the XP buff contributes negatively to that stated goal. For the record, I have a double digit number of 60s amongst these private servers, including that *other* place, and of course experience from retail vanilla. I am the audience you are referring to, and yet I disagree.
group exp was fucking lovely. anything to speed up the braindead process of hitting the same 2 buttons for 100 hrs straight smh zipzo still a struggler
So what I'm getting from this is you like EZ mode and aren't concerned with vanilla-likeness. You don't belong in vanilla, it seems.

The current iteration of Kronos was advertised as a server with a sped up timeline, for the people who want something to spend their time on before classic, the buffed xp is probably a part of that. It's also likely that they want to have something to separate them from all the other projects. Perplexity and dms are also veterans (and named players to boot), and part of the demographic I'm referring to. As I said, I doubt it's a majority considering how popular 1x realms are (although it could be argued that 1x realms tend to also be the more polished ones), but the group of people does exist. I'm more replying to the other guy asking for their reasoning to dislike leveling.

The current iteration of Kronos was advertised as a server with a sped up timeline, for the people who want something to spend their time on before classic, the buffed xp is probably a part of that. It's also likely that they want to have something to separate them from all the other projects. Perplexity and dms are also veterans (and named players to boot), and part of the demographic I'm referring to. As I said, I doubt it's a majority considering how popular 1x realms are (although it could be argued that 1x realms tend to also be the more polished ones), but the group of people does exist. I'm more replying to the other guy asking for their reasoning to dislike leveling.
A sped up timeline does not mean or necessitate a compromised vanilla leveling experience This is not about “names” or majority opinions even, it’s about preserving as much of the integrity of the vanilla experience as realistically as possible (within reason). The group XP falls outside that reasoning because it is unnecessary and only serves to further Kronos’s likeness to actual vanilla. It’s contradictory.

How exactly does this compromise the vanilla leveling experience? Nobody is forcing you to aoe farm, most of the people out there are leveling in a regular fashion, doing quests and farming mobs on their own or with one friend, getting to see plenty of the zones. Mages would still be able to aoe farm post 30 and skip all of the other low level content, the only difference is that now they can carry a few mates if they wish so. Not to say I don't understand what irks you about the whole ordeal, I can see that it's not blizzlike and you don't like not blizzlike things, but you're really trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here.

How exactly does this compromise the vanilla leveling experience? Nobody is forcing you to aoe farm, most of the people out there are leveling in a regular fashion, doing quests and farming mobs on their own or with one friend, getting to see plenty of the zones. Mages would still be able to aoe farm post 30 and skip all of the other low level content, the only difference is that now they can carry a few mates if they wish so. Not to say I don't understand what irks you about the whole ordeal, I can see that it's not blizzlike and you don't like not blizzlike things, but you're really trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here.
This is an MMORPG. Arguably, there are a whole host of things that other people that aren’t you can do that affect your experience.

Can you expand on this please? .
Hi, I apologize for my crude reply.
This is a vertical progression game
Vertical progression is obviously a big part of the game, but certainly not the whole game. I am only talking about the grind from 1-60. It does however serve a few important functions: -Having time to learn your class and the mechanics -Investing a large amount of time on your character enhances attachment and increases player retention -Long leveling process ensures that content wont run out immediately
it’s about preserving as much of the integrity of the vanilla experience as realistically as possible
However at this point in time there's no reason to glorify the process. Most people know their class or the game already well enough. Leveling to most is a menial task that needs to be completed in order to access the real content of the game, as stated before, wow is supposed to be played at the max level, even though stuff like twinking etc. is popular.
So what I'm getting from this is you like EZ mode and aren't concerned with vanilla-likeness. You don't belong in vanilla, it seems.
I dont hate leveling and I doubt most people do otherwise no one would go through with it. It is however stupid to state that the whole vanilla community wants x1 leveling experience just because you are part of a vocal reddit-dwelling minority. If you currently want to play vanilla wow you are basically forced to play on a x1 server because there are no other realistic options. The other options either lack quality scripting, population or most likely both. This has been caused by the continued autistic screeching of "MUH BLIZZLIKE" and the funserver stigma with any additional changes or qol features is unfortunately strong and limits developers.
A sped up timeline does not mean or necessitate a compromised vanilla leveling experience
I understand and like that vanilla is supposed to be "hard" but a sped up leveling process does not take that much away from it or compromise the integrity or popularity of the server if implemented correctly. Let me give you an example from TBC: Recently 2 quality TBC servers were released, 1 was x1 rate the other x5. The x1 rated mulled along while the other one flourished and eventually they had to be merged as the population of the x1 server dwindled so low. I am definitely not saying that this is what would happen in vanilla if a high quality x3-5 server was released given the different nature of the expansions, but it should give you a picture of what the majority of community might want. TLDR: Saying the whole vanilla community wants x1 leveling rate is stupid.

Honestly I'm cool with it and I feel like it will have an incredibly minimal long term impact. Sure, some economic repercussions early on, good for some and bad for others. This is the nature of the game however and once we're raid progressing it won't be too big of a deal. On a side note....Good to see you back and engaged in Kronos again Zip! Even saw you active on some sub reddits. Hopefully everything is going well with yourself and the family! Maybe see you around in game.

Top Bottom