• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Priest Shadow PvP Weaknesses?

Rerun

Hello Priests,

a friend of mine is planning on rolling a SPriest for PvP purposes.
He never played one before, and I havent played one either in Vanilla anyway.

Could some expierenced Priest tell me of the pro's and con's of a SPriest?
What to look out for, what a hardcounter would be against a SPriest if theres any?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I played a fair bit of shadow on private servers

Pros are that spriest is the best 1v1 class in the game until sl warlocks get tons of hp while both dealing tons of damage and having a lot of survivability. Additionally they also support very well by shielding and dispeling, especially offensively (especially important on alliance since they have no purge)
Cons are a lack of instant aoe damage and super high burst (tho mind blast crits tend to fuck shit up)
Most importantly they are missing a reliable long range cc vs efc/to stop midfield movent(r1 swp spam is the most reliable they have, also just going midfield/ramp and dotting stuff is highly effective as enemies are going to hhave to either eat or get healed)

The only hardcounter to spriests are shamans probably as they just purge your stuff and kill you fast, tho it's still winnable if you get a food silence off.

Thanks for the quick response.

Thats all very clear and I'll make sure he reads this.
Most things you mentioned are what I thought aswell, though one thing I dont quite get:

The only reliable long range CC vs efc = rank 1 swp = Shadow Word: Pain?
Do you not mean Mind Flay?
The rest is pretty clear and Im happy I did not overlook any major flaws or had any major misjudgements about them.

As far as hardcounters go, he won't have any then. Since we're rolling Horde.
Thanks once again.

What is the best alliance race for SP? I always played human but ppl blame them cause they have no good benefits for SP. Just Feedback.. that can help against casters- dont know how powerful it is.

I am thinking about dwarves but I dont like them because of short legs. But fear ward could be OP on vanilla.

Than elves but they have homo appearance (males) and I dont play females. Well, they have shadowmeld which can be powerful if you know how to use it..

// mostly for PVP, sometimes PVE

Thanks for the quick response.

Thats all very clear and I'll make sure he reads this.
Most things you mentioned are what I thought aswell, though one thing I dont quite get:

The only reliable long range CC vs efc = rank 1 swp = Shadow Word: Pain?
Do you not mean Mind Flay?
The rest is pretty clear and Im happy I did not overlook any major flaws or had any major misjudgements about them.

As far as hardcounters go, he won't have any then. Since we're rolling Horde.
Thanks once again.
Meant spamming rank 1 to procc blackout, mind flay only has 20y range sadly (more with range I guess)

In regards to race, dwarf is by far the most powerful sadly, except for desperate prayer the other alliance racials are literally useless sadly and dwarves share that one with humans.

Meant spamming rank 1 to procc blackout, mind flay only has 20y range sadly (more with range I guess)

In regards to race, dwarf is by far the most powerful sadly, except for desperate prayer the other alliance racials are literally useless sadly and dwarves share that one with humans.

Ah for Blackout, never even thought of spamming a r1 spell for that.
So it can proc on cast or only on tick?

I understand youre replying to that other guy aswell; but we are going UD :)
For the Horde

Ah for Blackout, never even thought of spamming a r1 spell for that.
So it can proc on cast or only on tick?

I understand youre replying to that other guy aswell; but we are going UD :)
For the Horde

Blackout procs on cast.

Starshards is useless on vanilla? I thought is pretty nice another dot?

Starshard is a channeled spell, and pretty bad. Horde racials, i.e. Devouring plague, is a dot. Thatd why horde is best for sp by far

Shadow is a very, very strong PvP spec, and it gets even stronger with gear. Pros are immense damage that comes from your DoT and your cast spells. SW:p is the strongest DoT that can be cast on players in the game (excluding rolling ignites since that generally requires multiple mages), and with high enough shadow damage you can kill low stam classes with it alone if they're not able to heal/regen.

Weaknesses for Shadow are high mana costs on spells, very low range on Mind Flay and having to drop form to heal. You only have one spell that crits too, so "burst" doesn't come from crits but from being able to chain MB into MF and back into MB. It's easy to do if you have peels, but most of today's players know better. Make sure to have plenty of mana before entering a battle, and that you spec correctly. Stock up on water. Counters are SL locks that run with Fel Hunter (easy if they're not geared, hard if they outgear you) and I guess Hunters since they can spam Viper Sting and stay far outside Mind Flay range. LoS them if possible.

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_5_85d321z502322103511051
Basic Shadow PvP spec. There's 9 talent points I did not fill in because the remaining are optional talents. You can drop points into Imp. Mana Burn and Mental Agility, fill out Imp MB and Imp VE, go for Spell Warding, whatever you want.

Regarding Starshards, it's not really something I'd use unless I got locked out of Shadow spells, didn't need to heal and had plenty of mana to justify casting it. It's not that good. idk why you'd roll a non-Dwarf priest as Ally anyway. Fear Ward is just too good.

Priests of every kind absolutely shit on warriors, it's probably the most onesided matchup in the game.
Rogue is okish, tho ud can be hard

This. Shadowpriest shit all over warriors and keep trucking. Your shield prevents them from getting any rage whatsoever, so they're gimped from the get go, not to mention with imp. fear you out CD their Zerker Rage, and you can out range them at the start of a fight, or if you get up close to them you can fear them while they're still in battle stance and have a full 8 seconds to blast the piss out of them if they don't trinket it. UD fury warriors and UD rogues gave me the hardest time because with trinket + WotF + Deathwish for warriors it was hard to keep them off you.

Top Bottom