• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Soloing instances via kiting etc

hukhuk

Authorized
Just read the List of violations and according to it, you must not abuse pathfinding to kill stuff.

Abusing Pathfinding and Line of Sight bugs
- It is forbidden to abuse any Pathfinding or Line of Sight bugs in order to kill a player, boss or whatever else. For example, a player shall not kill an NPC in a way that would prevent it from getting to the attacker and reacting properly. This rule applies to all in-game areas (world, BGs etc.). Players shall report every bug they find into the bugreport and never abuse this bug again.

Keeping this in mind and remembering the retail WoW for me kinda hurts. I loved soloing bosses in instances, kiting them and blizzard called this 'clever use of game mechanics'.

There were many people doing this and there were also great video series ('Hunter vs world' was one of my favourites) and yeah, my question is now, is jumping down from balconies or aggro ping-pong with a pet (which stands somewhere different and is used to make the NPC turn after you feign death) also this case of 'abusing the pathfinding'?

Not talking here about the permanent kiting through the instance but more of kiting, then jumping from a balcony so the NPC turns and runs the different way and you then kite him again up onto the balcony and so on.

example video of some of these techniques:
[video=youtube;FmT3oyRUB_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmT3oyRUB_o[/video]

line of sight bugs are different from kitting, so far i know, its like when you did karazhan the big robot and everybody went to the statue glitch except for the tank, so all u needed to do was heal focus the tank and dps down the boss...thats a line of sight bug/glitch, kitting an instance and clever use of mechanics is totally different

Ya i know, not talking about LoS here but about stuff like i mentioned:

Kiting lets say something in DM, running with it into the library up the balcony and then jumping down so the NPC has to turn around, run down again and you can again kite him onto the balcony.

Or some of those ramps and raised passages where the mobs wont run up but instead, running towards the ramp (AOE hyennas in DM as well worked like this in retail at lvl 60) and so on.

I also know, that safe spots are exploiting but i dont mean safe spots but walls, rocks, passages, balconies etc where you can either jump up or down to let the NPC(s) run around or waste time to reach you. I also see this as clever use of game mechanics but the passage mentioned above in the 'List of Violations' confused me a little bit.

Ya i know, not talking about LoS here but about stuff like i mentioned:

Kiting lets say something in DM, running with it into the library up the balcony and then jumping down so the NPC has to turn around, run down again and you can again kite him onto the balcony.

Or some of those ramps and raised passages where the mobs wont run up but instead, running towards the ramp (AOE hyennas in DM as well worked like this in retail at lvl 60) and so on.

I also know, that safe spots are exploiting but i dont mean safe spots but walls, rocks, passages, balconies etc where you can either jump up or down to let the NPC(s) run around or waste time to reach you. I also see this as clever use of game mechanics but the passage mentioned above in the 'List of Violations' confused me a little bit.

I think that the text of that rule is a little vague on purpose, because that way GMs can apply their judgement on each individual case. Still, the rule is very specific on something:

...a player shall not kill an NPC in a way that would prevent it from getting to the attacker and reacting properly

The way that hunters kite mobs is not "preventing" them to reaching them, or making them to "not react properly", on the contrary, it is prolonging the time they take to reach them by systematically making them to change their path (which is actually reacting properly). But if you don't react fast to make they change their path, they CAN reach you.

IMO is logical that it shouln't be against that rule. As you and even Bli$$ard said; it is a clever use of game mechanics.

I think that the text of that rule is a little vague on purpose, because that way GMs can apply their judgement on each individual case. Still, the rule is very specific on something:

The way that hunters kite mobs is not "preventing" them to reaching them, or making them to "not react properly", on the contrary, it is prolonging the time they take to reach them by systematically making them to change their path (which is actually reacting properly). But if you don't react fast to make they change their path, they CAN reach you.

IMO is logical that it shouln't be against that rule. As you and even Bli$$ard said; it is a clever use of game mechanics.
Yeah that sounds more logical than just forbidding it but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interpreting things wrong. Sure each GM will possibly judge each case differently but I wont kite raid bosses or heavily exploit stuff like that just a few easy bosses and such.

Thanks for a better explanation or your opinion on it at least :)

I don't think this would be against the rules.

For example, one of the major kiting strategies on the first boss in BWL involves jumping off the platform and running back around up the stairs. This is simply intelligent application of your knowledge of the mechanics. Now, finding a spot where the mechanics can't affect you, that's what is against the rules.

Top Bottom