• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Transparent background

Audioslave

Hello everyone, I've been searching for awhile now on every possible vanilla forum looking for an answer to my question, but no one seemed to be able to answer me.

What I'm looking for is an addon/script that will make the background behind the name of my target transparent (as it is by default on player frame).

Here is what it should look like:
IbfGG35.jpg

Thanks in advance!

X-Perl is the addon you need. You can download it from here.

Once installed (make sure it is enabled in the Character selection screen, along with its Unit-Frames feature), follow these steps:

1) Open X-Perl by clicking on its icon by the minimap, then pick the Target tab;
2) Uncheck the Reaction Highlight box (if checked);
3) Click the Background square in the lower left portion of the window;
4) Drag the Alpha slider all the way to the left.

Unit frames (player and/or targets) will appear as in the screen here.

Uicwq4C.png

Yes, I know it's doable with having addons which modify the way your frames look installed. However, I'm looking for an addon which would not change the way the frame looks, only making the background behind the name transparent while keeping the original Blizzard-like frames.

Then I'm afraid I can't help you further, sorry. The image itself you linked shows custom frames from an addon, those are not the default ones.

Maybe you can try to work that out with MoveAnything? I know it allows to change the alpha of frames, but maybe not on this version.

Then I'm afraid I can't help you further, sorry. The image itself you linked shows custom frames from an addon, those are not the default ones.
In fact, I'm pretty sure those are the default Blizzard frames. However, there are a few little modifications to them made via small addons, like HP values (Archaeologist? or Clean Player Frame), health fading green-red (smth like HealthFade or one of the CT mods), darker frame and different status bar textures (I'm guessing Santa UI texture pack) and the aforementioned name background removal.
Maybe you can try to work that out with MoveAnything? I know it allows to change the alpha of frames, but maybe not on this version.
Tried that out but the vanilla version doesn't seem to have such feature. :(

Anyway, thank you both for your input, I appreciate it.

/run TargetFrameNameBackground:SetAlpha(0.1)
or
/run TargetFrameNameBackground:Hide()

Last edited:
or

Well damn, silly me, I would never guess it is such an easy script.

Thank you very much Flynn, now I can finally look at my UI with satisfaction.

or

Is there any way to change the -color- of the manabar in the player/targetframe using -default- unitframes. The dark blue is too close to the black background and makes it difficult at times to see it. I need it to be slightly brighter blue color.
I know there are addons that does this, but i am looking for a way to do it while keeping the default frames.

local r,g,b = 3/10,3/10,1
ManaBarColor[0]["r"] = r
ManaBarColor[0]["g"] = g
ManaBarColor[0]["b"] = b
PlayerFrameManaBar:SetStatusBarColor(r,g,b)

thanks for the responses, but i have never done this before so i need a foolproof explanation here :/

local r,g,b = 3/10,3/10,1
ManaBarColor[0]["r"] = r
ManaBarColor[0]["g"] = g
ManaBarColor[0]["b"] = b
PlayerFrameManaBar:SetStatusBarColor(r,g,b)

putting this into a macro does not work. how would i go about it to make a macro that does all this?

In a macro it would look like this:
/run local r,g,b = 3/10,3/10,1; ManaBarColor[0]["r"] = r; ManaBarColor[0]["g"] = g; ManaBarColor[0]["b"] = b; PlayerFrameManaBar:SetStatusBarColor(r,g,b)

works! thank you all :)

edit: bah looks i was abit too quick here. it resets when i log out of the game. any way to keep it at that setting permanently (or until changed again)

Last edited:
Yes, create an addon with all small scripts you need that.
There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this all over the internet, most notably ArenaJunkies' Default UI scripts.

/script PlayerFrame:SetMovable(1)PlayerFrame:StartMoving()

I use this macro to move the unitframe around, then when i do /reload ui it gets locked into the position i put it, and keeps it there even if i relog. Unfortunately this method dont work for the coloring of the manabar. Maybe there is a work-around?
I am not going to learn how to create an addon for just this issue, so if theres no way to do it without, then i will live with it the way it is.

Top Bottom