• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Trial characters a possibility for kronos?

Smoker

Authorized
With new account manager we were told that a lot of new functions would become available, such as faction change etc. This thread is not about faction change but a suggestion that the new account manager could possibly also facilitate.

In the account manager, players would be able to create a 7-day trial character which would:

- Be level 60
- Be rank 11
- Start with 300 engineering.
- Start with all spells trained.
- more shit of this nature
- only be able to trade conjured items with other players
- be unable to use the auction house or the mailbox

Now im strongly against any sort of pay-to-win, and "instant 60" really sounds bad because of the associations this typically mean to the wow community. But this would not be an issue as long as these characters are temporary. Even those who wouldnt mind creating new accounts to keep playing trial characters still suffer the inability to actually progress their character through any real means. Eventually one would get tired of re-creating chars and then either level up for real in which case we gained a new member; or quit, in which case we had more players queuing in battlegrounds for those week(s) that person was active.

I oppose this idea. Patch 1.12.1 World of Warcraft shouldn't be a game where the only objective for players to do is the level 60 content. If your suggestion were to be put into the game, the low-level areas would be even emptier than they already are, because many people wouldn't bother to level alts and instead keep using the trial accounts. Even though you cannot really progress on those characters as you said, having the rare PvP armour and a 100% mount to go with it is more powerful than the gear a fresh level 60 would have. I don't think everyone would use this, but I do think there would be a good number of people who'd rather keep creating trial accounts than level alts or even new characters when they're new to the server. I personally enjoy leveling in patch 1.12.1 primarily due to the player interaction at lower levels, so I'm against any suggestion that would take life away from that part of the game.

Last edited:
It might be a interesting input, but this "trial char" idea doesn't really fit on a free-to-play server where you can create an unlimited number of accounts.

It would be used for griefing.

Btw, fuck adding Faction Change. Everyone who rolled Alliance for the Paladin advantage in Vanilla shouldn't be able to just switch sides come TBC. Kronos TBC might be the only TBC server with balanced factions as long as people can't switch teams.

Typical short sighted PVP idea.
Sounds good until you think about it for 1 minute.

Everyone can have his own ganksquad everywhere on any spot? Just make 4 pom pyro mageswith macro or elemental shamans.

With new account manager we were told that a lot of new functions would become available, such as faction change etc. This thread is not about faction change but a suggestion that the new account manager could possibly also facilitate.

In the account manager, players would be able to create a 7-day trial character which would:

- Be level 60
- Be rank 11
- Start with 300 engineering.
- Start with all spells trained.
- more shit of this nature
- only be able to trade conjured items with other players
- be unable to use the auction house or the mailbox

Now im strongly against any sort of pay-to-win, and "instant 60" really sounds bad because of the associations this typically mean to the wow community. But this would not be an issue as long as these characters are temporary. Even those who wouldnt mind creating new accounts to keep playing trial characters still suffer the inability to actually progress their character through any real means. Eventually one would get tired of re-creating chars and then either level up for real in which case we gained a new member; or quit, in which case we had more players queuing in battlegrounds for those week(s) that person was active.
Hmm what you seek is the PTR

There you can instantly test out the game as a level 60 with all those things and mailbox & auction houses are kinda pointless there so there is no way it can ever turn into p2w as PTR is only there for testing purposes :wink:

note: population on ptr is low as only testers and people who wish to test stuff run around there but at least you get to see how it is at lvl 60 with those things.

Typical pve carebear answers. Some simple solutions for your concerns:

Trial chars cant trade other than conjured items as ayz said = cant use them for farming.

Limit active trial accounts to 1 per ip = cant multibox.

Maybe even have a cooldown on creating a trial account set to 30 days or something, but really this thread shouldnt be a discussion on the specifics of the system.

Its a wild suggestion for sure and the implementation would definitely have to be thought out carefully to avoid abuse.

Apart from these negatives there are some major upsides as well to this suggestion main one being possible population boost.

Not only temporarily but afaik there is alot of interest from players towards kronos but the massess tend to follow the hype train. Being able to test the superior scripting of kronos might encourage the people to start leveling and thus increasing the population.

I know some of the community isnt really concerned about the population and I wouldnt say the server is dead, but it deffo wouldnt hurt to have more players.

No. As Cr0wL0ck said you can use PTR for that and amount of work to prevent "Test chars" being abused is just not worth it.

Sounds interesting but I highly doubt it they're going to implement it as it has way too many flaws and it would take large amount of our devs time to make sure everything works correctly alongside with fixing the bugs after the release. Doubt we have so much 'firepower' to separate the team who's working on Naxx and other features at the moment.

About the flaws:
1) As some other people said: griefing. Imagine corpse camping/killing every npc in the capitals (because why not) - you can't implement such feature and block them from doing it
2) Player A goes for high rank standing. Player B has lots of free time so he creates a new char with all the gear and r11 and he no-lifes just to ruin his/her fun. Pretty sure Kronos has lots of no-lifers who would gladly ruin someone's in-game life anonymously.
3) You want to block the IP for 1 week. But what stops them from creating a new char on the next week (and there are so many simple ways to avoid IP block) to do the same stuff as above over and over again.
4) It's true that such feature would give us a new spike of population but it would be only temporary. Sure, not everyone wants to have a high level char with full gear, some of them are here for the adventure between 1-60 but majority of us plays for raids (which is 60) and PvP (mainly for 60s). After 1 or 2 raids after they cleared everything 80% of them would simply stop. Because why the hell not? They've seen AQ/BWL etc and the people who wants to play in here already started leveling up to join the others.

Those are only few flaws which I came up with right now. Pretty sure there are plenty more of them (same as the cons) but still the most important fact which almost denies it from the start is that implementing such features would consume all of their time (unless you want it in 2020) and also I'm not sure if you can even do this on this old WoW engine. (separate special acc with different features with different mechanics from the usual players).

My 3 cents.

Last edited:
Other negative aspects:

Free portals to all cities for everyone. Summoning alts everywhere without any sort of effort.

Surely the issues can be worked around but I'd prefer the developer team working on finishing Naxxramas instead.

Top Bottom